PDA

View Full Version : hot car / direct sun wipedown

TurboToys
08-05-2013, 07:30 AM
well, as the title states, i'm tired of running into problems when going to shows. i do all my own detailing, but let my friend who actually has a detailing side business do the detail so i could help advertise for his business. ended up having quite a bit of dust for my liking on my car while trying to advertise for him, and ended up getting smear marks on the car due to hot surface syndrome.

the problem i run into is situations like this, where i drive the car some distance to get to a show, so the whole thing is hot, the hood especially, and it makes a wipedown to get rid of road dust pretty difficult when it would normally be fine with light dust from a drive without the heat.

short of carrying a spray bottle full of wash concentration ONR, i haven't seen any products that do very well at doing a wipedown on hot surfaces. i was thinking of trying UWW as i wanted a good waterless wash anyway, but if anyone has any suggestions of a good wipedown product that won't smear or cause spots on hot surfaces in direct sun, i would appreciate it. thanks.

swanicyouth
08-05-2013, 07:34 AM
Poor Boys Spray and Gloss all the way. Most unfinicky QD out there. UWW+ will also work well in direct sun.

af90
08-05-2013, 07:38 AM
How big of an area are you trying to wipedown? When working in the heat shrinking your working area considerably can help especially if some of it is drying before you get to it.

Also something you can do is filling up your dilution right before you leave and use cold water.

Mike Phillips
08-05-2013, 07:39 AM
From my article list, here's an article with some tips...

Tips for working in warm/hot weather or direct sunlight (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/26961-tips-working-warm-hot-weather-direct-sunlight.html)

Here's just one tip from the above article... this is about using a polisher but the same idea works with wiping paint... that is work a smaller area.

Shrink your work area down to a smaller size...
Anytime a product becomes difficult to work with, one tip you can try is to shrink down the size of your work area. This means you spread the product out over a smaller area and only work this smaller area.

Be careful not to allow yourself to do what I call Buffer Creep. This is where you creep outward from your original small section and end up buffing out a larger section. Avoid Buffer Creep. Especially if your product appears to be drying up and becoming dusty.

Why a smaller area?
Because when you're working only a small are you're continually engaging the working film of product over the area more quickly as you move the polisher and by doing this there's less time for the product to dry and dust.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's also the technique I use when I have to wipe polished and waxed paint down in full sun. Sometimes all you can do is all you can do....

Have lots of microfibers too and as far as a quick detailer goes,

"Find something you like and use it often"

:)

Mike Phillips
08-05-2013, 07:41 AM
There's lots of tips here too...

Tips & Techniques for using a Spray Detailer to Remove Light Dust, Fingerprints and Smudges (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/23128-tips-techniques-using-spray-detailer-remove-light-dust-fingerprints-smudges.html)

:)

TurboToys
08-05-2013, 07:50 AM
thanks mike.

i was making sure to keep the areas small. i have tried more than a few things, and anything short of a wash to cool the entire area down makes for an oily/streaky look like whatever is in the QD or cleaner isn't laying down right because of the liquid evaporating too quickly on a hot surface.

i had some small 1x1 areas on the hood to get it clean and did a spray on the hood, then tried a spray on the mf, used 2 clean microfibers and still ended up with an oily streak left behind where sprayed, was probably something wrong with what i was using, so i'll try a different product and implement the same techniques of keeping the areas small and quick and see what i can come up with.

generally i only ever do a wipedown like this after getting somewhere and theres a bit of dust on the car and i want it to be completely clean...... the woes of having the blackest of black paint.

af90
08-05-2013, 07:55 AM
What towels are you using also? It can have a larger effect than it seems.

TurboToys
08-05-2013, 10:14 AM
i've been using the proforce microfibers you can get from amazon or at sam's club. they are excellently priced, have a good microfiber texture (real microfiber, you can feel the fibers really gripping at your hands when they are clean, like they have the correct super tiny fiber texture), and they are about as thick as the orange microfibers from autogeeks store which are good all around, have a plush side and a short side.

i doubt its the microfibers as i have never had trouble with them before like this anywhere except hot panels, most likely it's the products i've tried that didn't work well in sun.