PDA

View Full Version : deep water spots

nabisco shine
08-05-2013, 03:05 AM
help guys i was working on this black car he had water spots from a sprinkler, i used portal cable 7424xp used megs yellow pad with meguairs 105 then stepped up to there burgendy pad! and still would not come out! it looks like its under neath the clear or something? the spots on the hood never came out but the rest by fendor and door ect came out but not the hood? any idea?

FASTFATBOY
08-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Get a spray bottle of plain water and spray the M105 while you are working it, make sure the pad is primed very well. Use it until it starts to flash off and then spray it.

And be careful, putting water on 105 while working it hard is like spraying a motor with nitrous....it works REALLY good but you have to be careful doing it. Tape your edges.

I use the above with a CCS orange pad and have gotten out some REALLY bad water spots on a F250.

zmcgovern45
08-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Do you have meguiar's MF pads available to use?

It is possible that the water spots are so deep they may require some careful wetsanding.

Either way, proceed with caution... especially if you do not have an electronic PTG to aid you in how much cutting you should do.

I faced a similar challenge on my wife's Mazda and due to the extremely thin paint, I determined that some of the spots were simply too deep to worry about. (see pic)

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/392858_230693983735395_906560816_n.jpg

^The improvement was dramatic, but there were plenty of deep marks left over on the left hand side. Given that the paint was only about 80 microns to start with, I did not want to remove too much material since this was simply a daily driven vehicle that would need as much remaining clear as possible.

You can see more pics here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/62232-new-daily-driver-restoration-paint-correction-22ple-application.html

erichaley
08-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Get a spray bottle of plain water and spray the M105 while you are working it, make sure the pad is primed very well. Use it until it starts to flash off and then spray it.

And be careful, putting water on 105 while working it hard is like spraying a motor with nitrous....it works REALLY good but you have to be careful doing it. Tape your edges.

I use the above with a CCS orange pad and have gotten out some REALLY bad water spots on a F250.

I find it interesting that the M101 bottle states water can be added to extend the working time, but M105 has no mention of it at all. That being said, I would try to avoid adding water when using M105.

I have found that Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover does an excellent job of removing water spots.

FASTFATBOY
08-05-2013, 08:26 AM
I find it interesting that the M101 bottle states water can be added to extend the working time, but M105 has no mention of it at all. That being said, I would try to avoid adding water when using M105.

I have found that Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover does an excellent job of removing water spots.

I have done this many times, this is a non diminishing abrasive already. This is one of the oldest tricks in the book.

It keeps your surface cooler and makes the 105 cut more/harder, it works there is no doubt about it and makes product go further......keep the pad clean and it is a great method to use on tough marks. It increases the 105's work time and keeps the surface cooler.

I wish I would take more pictures, once I get started on one I get in a different world and keep on trucking until I am done.

But hey to each there own here, just offering up some alternatives.:props:

Mike Phillips
08-05-2013, 08:33 AM
help guys i was working on this black car he had water spots from a sprinkler, i used portal cable 7424xp used megs yellow pad with meguairs 105 then stepped up to there burgendy pad! and still would not come out! it looks like its under neath the clear or something?

the spots on the hood never came out but the rest by fendor and door ect came out but not the hood? any idea?

The paint on most car hoods suffers from more and longer exposure to heat from both the engine and the sun since it's a horizontal panel. Also all weather wear-n-tear.

People tend to polish the easy to polish panels the most, that would be the hood and trunk lid, I call these "Gloss Panels" in the second edition (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/64360-detailing-how-book-detailing-how-e-book.html) of my how-to book, (but there's more to it than just the name).

You could get more aggressive but at some point you might want to learn to live with them since the clear layer of paint is thin from the factory.

You know a lot of people think water beading looks cool but this is the problem from water beading and that's paint damage.

See this thread...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/68591-water-beading-different-types.html

:)