PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use tire dressing for rubber trim?

Pages : [1] 2

pman626
08-05-2013, 01:18 AM
Anyone use tire dressing for rubber trim? Any long term nasty effects?

Radarryan
08-05-2013, 01:32 AM
I have not but I have read some people do. I don't think there would be any nasty long-term effects if you use a quality, water-based product. Ultima, for example, is a tire and trim guard that people have gotten outstanding results from. If you use silicone based, you could run into streaking in rain problems, among others, I would think.

My advice is water-based would be fine. I'm sure others will agree/dissent.

Calendyr
08-05-2013, 04:48 AM
Just put Armor All on everything: Tires, dash, seats, pedals, paint, everything and you will be happy.

Now you have to know I am just kidding.

I use Meguiar's Hyperdressing for the trims. I have not tried tire gel but somehow I think they are probably the same thing. Hyperdressing is water based just like Optimum Opti-Bond that I use for tires.

MrOneEyedBoh
08-05-2013, 04:52 AM
I use PERL. Works great, just make sure you wipe it off after it cures.. Basically follow the directions, I didn't at first haha.

07gtcs
08-05-2013, 02:31 PM
I've used my BF tire Gel on the black trim on my Wifes VW before...looks good and lasts.

eff
08-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Check out Stoner Trim Shine. It's sold in the auto geek store online. I have used this and had real good results using it on tires, trim, and window moldings.

Ipsdrew
08-05-2013, 03:11 PM
I've been using the DP tire gel on the trim and usually get 4-6 weeks of 2-3 washes before needing to reapply again. I actually like it more for trim than I do tires.
DP Gloss Tire Gel penetrates deep below the surface to hydrate and refresh dull, dry rubber. (http://www.autogeek.net/dp330.html)

The DP gets used on most vehicles unless I'm doing a Jeep. They all get Surf City Garage Black Max, Especially faded Jeep fenders and wrangler tops. On most trims I don't see a difference between the DP and the SCGBM but Jeep plastics seem to a different animal and on those the SCGBM just seems to perform the best. Black Max will usually go 8-12 weeks (with 2 coats) and several washes before even showing a hint of fading.

FUNX650
08-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Anyone use tire dressing for rubber trim?
^^^I, for one, certainly do!^^^

Any long term nasty effects?
Modern tires are made from a range of materials including various synthetic-rubbers as well as natural-rubber.
Sidewalls are usually the area of the tire that's natural-rubber and the area that gets "dressed".

Now if only a person could find out what 'type' of rubber that the trim-rubber had been manufactured from!
Some may be from natural/synthetic rubber...even EPDM.

303AP has served me quite well over the years...with no "long term nasty effects"...in addressing the:
"Dressing of Rubber"...regardless of the type.

Just a well-meant product suggestion.

:)

Bob

Ohio Detailing
08-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Anyone use tire dressing for rubber trim? Any long term nasty effects?

I have tried it, and would NEVER EVER recommend it.

The product I used turned all (literally every surface - mirrors, window trim etc) the plastic and vinyl a white pasty/chalky color with a thick layer of residue. Luckily, I only "test" things like this on our own vehicle and never experiment with client vehicles. I was able with some APC to get the residue off, and then applied a couple coats of Meg's Plastic & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner to revive the surfaces.

stiffdogg06
08-05-2013, 04:35 PM
I've used 303 Aerospace Protectant on my tires and trim before. Works perfectly. Im the MAN

Boudin
08-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Tuff Shine tire clearcoat , that same long last "just dressed" look on rubber trim, not so effective on plastic trim ( windshield cowl )

bootstrap
08-05-2013, 11:09 PM
I use cg natural shine on all exterior rubber and plastic

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

rjd598
08-05-2013, 11:28 PM
I use cg natural shine on all exterior rubber and plastic

How do you like it? What's durability really like? I have some but have not properly gotten a chance to use it

bootstrap
08-05-2013, 11:42 PM
How do you like it? What's durability really like? I have some but have not properly gotten a chance to use it

I do like it. I consistently get about 2 weeks of performance before I'm eager to reapply. But after 2 weeks the rubber is by no means dry. I just prefer a wetter look.

rjd598
08-06-2013, 11:43 AM
I do like it. I consistently get about 2 weeks of performance before I'm eager to reapply. But after 2 weeks the rubber is by no means dry. I just prefer a wetter look.

thanks for letting me know. i've applied it before but to dirty trim pieces on the exterior and liked the look.