PDA

View Full Version : Random questions from a Semi-Noob

StuDLei
08-05-2013, 12:46 AM
I just graduated myself to Semi-Noob, lol!

So, I'm going to ask a few, maybe a lot-- of questions that I have from time to time. They're unrelated but every so often I think of them and instead of creating a thread each time I have one, I'm going to try to list as many as I can think of over the next hour or so before bed. I'll post when I'm done and hopefully have quite a few replies tomorrow at some point.

Thanks ladies and gents.... Here goes:

- What is the SLICKEST sealant or wax that you have used?

- What waxes and sealants will not stain trim? Does anyone have a list? What causes the ones that do stain to stain and why would a manufacture choose to produce one that does? Any differences between the two?

- You know that hazing you get around the emblems/badges of cars that are more than a few years old? What's the best way to rectify this problem?

- Do you polish over gaps? To me it seems almost impossible not to in certain parts of the car. As I've gotten more experienced, I've tried to get as close to the edge as possible; maybe I'm not that good at it, but I always overlap here and there.

- Can you use Iron X on your entire car or do you really have to worry about getting it on certain things?

- Does Optimum Power clean harm clay? My dad was in town and he parks his brand new car under trees because he has no other choice. The car had quite a bit of sap on it. I clayed the horizontal panels with a Sonus ultra fine bar and it took most of it off no problem. There were a few spots that I just couldn't get, so I hit them with Power Clean undiluted and then ran clay over them. Boom, gone. That stuff is awesome. It seemed like it might have had some weird effect on the clay though, like maybe it was breaking down a little? Anyone ever done this before? I was in a little bit of a hurry and I'm out of town now, otherwise I would go check on the clay again and see what it looks like.

All I can think of for now!

davey g-force
08-05-2013, 01:41 AM
1. Meguiars Ultimate Wax
2. Meguiars Ultimate LIQUID Wax (the paste version will still stain). There are other brands that don't stain too, I just can't think of them ATM...
3. Umm... polish the area by hand?
4. Do you mean the panel gaps? I don't see the issue with polishing over them (with a DA). You might just get some polish residue in there which is easily removed later.
5. Not sure
6. Not sure

BillE
08-05-2013, 07:14 AM
What he said (Davey)^^^^.

Bill