PDA

View Full Version : How many microns of paint removed?

kevincwelch
08-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Disclaimer: I know the most accurate answer is "it depends."

But, for those of you who have made it a habit out of measuring paint thickness before and after compounding and polishing, generally how many microns of (presumably) clear coat are removed with the following?

Assume a DA polisher using steady pressure 12-15#s and slow speed, 50% overlap.

Parameters: 6 passes, yellow CCS orange foam pad
Menzerna FG 400
Meguiars m105

Parameters: 6 passes, yellow CCS orange foam pad
Menzerna FG 400
Meguiars m105

Parameters: 6 passes, LC purple nano foam pad
Menzerna FG 400
Meguiars m105

StuDLei
08-04-2013, 10:46 PM
You need to edit your first post as it doesn't make sense.

theblob640
08-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Clarify please, Yellow CCS Orange pad?

AutowerxDetailing
08-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Not much CC paint is removed during an average correction process. If you are chasing some rids you might take down ~5-7 microns but for general swirls and light to moderate defects you realistically should only need to remove ~2-3 microns of paint to get a 85-95% flawless finish.

I measure paint thickness on any job involving intensive polishing because I want to know where the low spots are in the paint before I ever touch a polisher. Even new cars have uneven paint thickness due to inconsistencies in the painting process and repairs made at the factory to repair marring or damage during the assembly process.

Parameters: 6 passes, CCS yellow foam pad
Meguiars m105 ~1-3 microns removed

Parameters: 6 passes, CCS orange foam pad
Meguiars m105 ~1-2 microns removed

Parameters: 6 passes, LC purple nano foam pad
Meguiars m105 ~2-4 microns removed

And of course this all depends on a huge variety of factors such as (but not limited to): the hardness/softness of paint, arm speed, pressure, amount of product used, pad primed/not primed, pad dirty/clean, new pad, used pad, ambient temperature, the position of the moon's orbit relative to Jupiter, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc...

tdekany
08-04-2013, 11:08 PM
It all depends on the car, you can't really generalize. Most of the time 1 to 2 microns, but I have removed close to 20.

What kind of car(s)

kevincwelch
08-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Sorry. That's what I get for cut and pasting.

Lake County CCS orange

Lake County CCS yellow

Lake Country purple nano foam

These are the most aggressive pads I would use. I don't have any microfiber pads or strict wool pads. (Maybe a mod can edit my post at this point.)

kevincwelch
08-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I think I recall your measuring the Tesla, Nick, when you posted your Show and Shine, and the thickness of the paint was around 100-111 microns. Could that be accurate? That would make it about 4.5 mils.

I'm just tring to get an idea of what kind of removal I am getting when I do my own cars. If it truly is about 2-4 microns on average, then that's not that much.

Of course, all this depends on several factors. Just trying to get a feel for things.

AutowerxDetailing
08-05-2013, 09:48 AM
yeah. although I have seen some teslas recently with readings as low as 65 microns in some sections.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using AG Online