PDA

View Full Version : Cant remove scratches.

Hockey Daily
08-04-2013, 01:59 PM
I am working on a family members 2003 cadillac deville dts. black. I am able to remove swirls but a lot of scratches left behind.. they look like minor scratches, cant feel them.. for right now just trying to find a combination that works.. this is what I have tried. Anyone that is familiar with cadi paint please steer me in the right direction.. thanks..
Usually running speed 4/1 2 or 5

tools: rupes bigfoot 21

pads: meguiars microfiber
rupes green pad

compound: meguiars d300 then tried 101
menzerna fg400

Wes Bremec
08-04-2013, 02:15 PM
What size pads and what is your typically working area when buffing. The reason I say this is because with microfiber pads and the da your hand movement must be slow and sometime shrinking your work size will help maintain the utmost correction.

Rsurfer
08-04-2013, 03:16 PM
I am working on a family members 2003 cadillac deville dts. black. I am able to remove swirls but a lot of scratches left behind.. they look like minor scratches, cant feel them.. for right now just trying to find a combination that works.. this is what I have tried. Anyone that is familiar with cadi paint please steer me in the right direction.. thanks..
Usually running speed 4/1 2 or 5

tools: rupes bigfoot 21

pads: meguiars microfiber
rupes green pad

compound: meguiars d300 then tried 101
menzerna fg400

If it won't come out with FG400 with a mf pad and a R21 you need to work on your technique. If you have a PG you could lightly wet sand and then buff.

tdekany
08-04-2013, 03:41 PM
If it won't come out with FG400 with a mf pad and a R21 you need to work on your technique. If you have a PG you could lightly wet sand and then buff.

Not the best advise. If the OP is having a hard time correcting, imagine what can happen if he decided to sand.

On the rupes, use your 101 but with a stiff foam pad - that is when 101 corrects the best. Take your time, don't move too fast.

Any orange, yellow cutting foam performs better with 101 than MF PADS.

Do you have any pictures?

Don't give up, paint correction is not as easy as some make it seem like. Take an 18x18 area, and work it until paint is leveled. How long did you spend on the car?

As a pro, most black cars take me way over 20 hours.

rmagnus
08-04-2013, 03:49 PM
. I am able to remove swirls but a lot of scratches left behind.. they look like minor scratches, cant feel them..

Just wondering if what you are seeing after the compounding (cutting) is micro maring. Can you post some pictures?

Wes Bremec
08-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Rmagnus brought up a great point. Your method seems to be Avery aggressive approach. Try doing a test spot with your combination and then switching over to a finishing polish with a less aggressive foam
Pad such as a white or LC tangerine. You could potentially be seeing marring left over from the compound.

Rsurfer
08-04-2013, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE=tdekany;924383]Not the best advise. If the OP is having a hard time correcting, imagine what can happen if he decided to sand.

How do you know what his capabilities are? He might wet sand better than you! Just because he only has 1 post doesn't mean he doesn't have skills. Look at the products he has. Oh, and I did say if he had a paint gauge.

tdekany
08-04-2013, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=tdekany;924383]Not the best advise. If the OP is having a hard time correcting, imagine what can happen if he decided to sand.

How do you know what his capabilities are? He might wet sand better than you! Just because he only has 1 post doesn't mean he doesn't have skills. Look at the products he has. Oh, and I did say if he had a paint gauge.

You just have to read his original post. No one said he doesn't have skills, but based on his initial post, his skills are limited. That is why I am posting helpful stuff and not just suggesting "sanding".

In general, sanding OEM clear should be left as a last result and done by a pro.

I suppose you are not one?

Detail-Impressions
08-04-2013, 06:02 PM
[quote=Rsurfer;924397]

You just have to read his original post. No one said he doesn't have skills, but based on his initial post, his skills are limited. That is why I am posting helpful stuff and not just suggesting "sanding".

In general, sanding OEM clear should be left as a last result and done by a pro.

I suppose you are not one?

:iagree: Least aggressive is the first step!!

TundraPower
08-04-2013, 06:48 PM
If Rupes 21, Rupes "Blue" Polish, Rupes "Blue" pad on speed 4-6 won't get them out I would leave them alone. For wet sanding tiny areas I use 3M Trizact 5000-8000 grit 3" sanding discs on a Griot's 3" polisher. For larger areas Rupes Skorpio 6" sander.

Hockey Daily
08-04-2013, 08:37 PM
thanks everyone. I am working on test sections, so around 18x18. I use 6" pads I also tried some 5" pads with plate. I'm Leaving some scratches that look to be in the clear?? I may need to take more time The product seems to dry up fairly fast and the mf pads get warm quick.

tdekany
08-04-2013, 11:05 PM
thanks everyone. I am working on test sections, so around 18x18. I use 6" pads I also tried some 5" pads with plate. I'm Leaving some scratches that look to be in the clear?? I may need to take more time The product seems to dry up fairly fast and the mf pads get warm quick.

Any way you can post a picture of the area you are about to work on and another shot afterwards?

It would be so much easier to help.

Pureshine
08-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Wet sanding is thrown if you have never wet sanded be for you should never do it on a customers car. I have read way to many post of people making big mistakes with wet sanding. Get a sample panel and practice first before you test it out on your car or a customers car.

TundraPower
08-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Wet sanding is thrown if you have never wet sanded be for you should never do it on a customers car. I have read way to many post of people making big mistakes with wet sanding. Get a sample panel and practice first before you test it out on your car or a customers car.

:iagree:

I didn't mean to imply to just go do it, I was just saying what I use when I do it. I apologize. It's not brain surgery but definitely practice first. You'll pick it up quick.