PDA

View Full Version : LC Hydro-Tech Foam Pads

Pages : [1] 2

StangFan25
08-03-2013, 06:30 PM
I recently purchased the 3rd gen Griots 6", upgrading from the Meguiars DA drill polisher. I have quite a few swirl marks/scratches on my paint (2011 kona blue metallic Mustang). The waffle pads that came with the Griot 6" really didn't do much.

I've looked at the LC hydro pads and am leaning towards getting them. I see they are designed for water based product, which I use (Zaino). Is there really much difference between the hydros and the standard orange, white, gray and blue pads? Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-03-2013, 06:47 PM
First off welcome to AGO.

The Hydro Tech pads are closed cell designed rather than open cell like other pads. The benefit is that the product stays on the surface longer as it isn't absorbed into the pad as fast as an open cell pad. The down side is that it make it harder to clean the pads after use because it wont wash/rinse out easily due to its nature.

I personally like the closed cell traits and use this design quite often. It all comes down to preference.

Another plus with the Hydro Tech pad line is that there is only three in the lineup which makes it easier to remember rather than having five or six to remember. One cutting, one polishing, and one finishing.

If you do go with them pick up the 5inch backing plate and the thin 5.5x7/8 size. This is the best size for this machine. Pick up more than one of each.

The pads
Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads 3 Pack - Your Choice! (http://www.autogeek.net/hydrotech-low-profile-3pack.html)

The plate
lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)

TundraPower
08-03-2013, 07:47 PM
I've looked at the LC hydro pads and am leaning towards getting them. I see they are designed for water based product, which I use (Zaino). Is there really much difference between the hydros and the standard orange, white, gray and blue pads? Thanks for any help/suggestions!

I love Hydro pads, especially the blue and orange. They are not quite as aggressive as the standard ones.

StangFan25
08-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Thank you both for your replies. I appreciate any help I can get.

Smack, could you please explain why I should get the different backing plate and the smaller pads? I assume there's a certain benefit for not using the "stock" plate with 6.5" pads?

Thanks again. I've done a lot of reading and watching here and it can be overwhelming at times!

Rsurfer
08-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Thank you both for your replies. I appreciate any help I can get.

Smack, could you please explain why I should get the different backing plate and the smaller pads? I assume there's a certain benefit for not using the "stock" plate with 6.5" pads?

Thanks again. I've done a lot of reading and watching here and it can be overwhelming at times!

The Griot has enough power to spin the 6.5" H20 pad..if you had a Porter Cable then a 5.5" pad would be better. I'm not a fan of Zanio polishes..just not enough cut. For a noobie, the Wolfgang Twins will do you well. You can use Z2/Z5 for protection if you choose.

ScottB
08-03-2013, 09:28 PM
The Griot has enough power to spin the 6.5" H20 pad..if you had a Porter Cable then a 5.5" pad would be better. I'm not a fan of Zanio polishes..just not enough cut. For a noobie, the Wolfgang Twins will do you well. You can use Z2/Z5 for protection if you choose.

:iagree:

StangFan25
08-03-2013, 10:48 PM

Thank you. Zaino actually has a dedicated swirl remover "dual action pc swirl remover". I also use z5, their sealant, z6 detailer spray and z8 grand finale spray.

So that's a recommendation the stock plate is fine.... Anyone else?

Rsurfer
08-03-2013, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE=StangFan25;924044]Thank you. Zaino actually has a dedicated swirl remover "dual action pc swirl remover".

Like I said, their swirl remover is too mild. There are much better swirl removers and Wolfgang Twins are very user friendly.

Leadfootluke
08-03-2013, 10:55 PM
I started polishing paint when the HT pads first came out and I used those because of the good reviews and simplicity. Now that the thinner pads are out, that makes them an even better option. I have used those, CCS pads, and the MF pads, so that is all I have to compare them too. I used the Tangerine pads with heavier cut polishes, down to finishing polishes with great results. The Cyan pads cut really well, but I have been using MF pads for compounding.

I have a PC, so I use the 4 and 5.5" pads with Megs 101/105/300/205 for compounding/polishing as well as a bunch of finishing polishes.

StangFan25
08-03-2013, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE=StangFan25;924044]Thank you. Zaino actually has a dedicated swirl remover "dual action pc swirl remover".

Like I said, their swirl remover is too mild. There are much better swirl removers and Wolfgang Twins are very user friendly.

Sorry, guess I misunderstood. I thought you said their polishes were too mild.

StangFan25
08-03-2013, 11:03 PM
I started polishing paint when the HT pads first came out and I used those because of the good reviews and simplicity. Now that the thinner pads are out, that makes them an even better option. I have used those, CCS pads, and the MF pads, so that is all I have to compare them too. I used the Tangerine pads with heavier cut polishes, down to finishing polishes with great results. The Cyan pads cut really well, but I have been using MF pads for compounding.

I have a PC, so I use the 4 and 5.5" pads with Megs 101/105/300/205 for compounding/polishing as well as a bunch of finishing polishes.

Thank you. Always good to hear first hand knowledge!

Leadfootluke
08-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Thank you. Always good to hear first hand knowledge!

No problem!

And cleaning the HT pads is quite easy too. A pad that has been primed properly and used on a panel can be cleaned by placing it against a MF towel and turning it on to remove excess polish, by using a stiff brush [one that works on foam, not the harsher ones for MF pads], and by using compressed air. Compressed air works very very well.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-04-2013, 09:18 AM

I know the GG6 has plenty of power to spin the larger 6.5 pads without issue. I personally like the fact that I can get into more areas and have more precision with the smaller 5.5 pad offering. On the downside it may take a bit longer to correct a vehicle because of its smaller footprint.

It all comes down to preference. If you will be working on your Mustang I say go ahead and use the smaller pad option.

jbjwallace
08-12-2013, 10:31 AM
I am glad to see the good reviews on the HT pads, I have ordered
Several of the 4" (with 3.5" BP) and several 5.5" to use with
5" BP. Some one reviewed about them tearing up on first use.

Rsurfer
08-12-2013, 01:46 PM
I am glad to see the good reviews on the HT pads, I have ordered
Several of the 4" (with 3.5" BP) and several 5.5" to use with
5" BP. Some one reviewed about them tearing up on first use.

When you get them, you will notice that the velcro backing is slightly raised. This is the weak spot..do not go over speed 5 on a GG6.