PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's UFP & UC won't take the scratches off my car

Pages : [1] 2

AliMusa
08-03-2013, 06:28 PM
I've been using a Lake Country Orange pad for both and neither of them worked. The scratches aren't that deep. I made sure to wash the pad before retrying with the different polish/compound to make sure all the contaminants were off. I've tried more pressure, more time and more polish, all to no avail. The most either of them did was hide the scratches, but not completely get rid of them. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

A picture can be found here: Click here (http://imgur.com/6lmonR4)

Also, if it matters, the car is a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer.

cleanmycorolla
08-03-2013, 06:31 PM
You should use orange for UC and white or black for UP. Have you tried anything less aggressive perhaps to refine it some more bring out some gloss. Your pads seem aggressive try some milder ones perhaps?

AliMusa
08-03-2013, 06:35 PM
You should use orange for UC and white or black for UP. Have you tried anything less aggressive perhaps to refine it some more bring out some gloss. Your pads seem aggressive try some milder ones perhaps?

What I ended up doing as my last resort was an Orange pad with the UC and then the White pad with the UFP but that didn't get the scratches out either :(

af90
08-03-2013, 06:39 PM
How many section passes? What was your technique for polishing?

Jpatchley
08-03-2013, 06:41 PM
How many section passes did you do? Also, how fast did you move? What speed were you using with what polisher?

AliMusa
08-03-2013, 06:46 PM
How many section passes? What was your technique for polishing?

How many section passes did you do? Also, how fast did you move? What speed were you using with what polisher?

I did a bunch of section passes, didn't really count but it was a good amount. What's the recommended amount? I was doing the same spot for at least 5 minutes. And I moved very slow and steady, not fast at all. I was using the GG polisher.

Jpatchley
08-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Do 6 to 8 section passes for scratch removal. With the gg I'd run it on a speed of 5.

Jpatchley
08-03-2013, 06:49 PM
You arms should move an inch per second. There's some videos in the how to use a DA polisher where Mike Philips shows the proper technique.

Jpatchley
08-03-2013, 06:52 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showpost.php?p=502716

Here you go!!

TundraPower
08-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Perhaps I am dense, but why would he use a lighter pad when what he is using isn't making a dent in the defect? Just from eyeing the picture, that scratch by your right shoulder isn't going to come out, and the other one sure isn't going to come out with an orange pad no matter what polish you use.

What say ya'll?

Vegas Transplant
08-03-2013, 07:54 PM
What panel?
Plastic/metal?

andrew8729
08-03-2013, 08:15 PM
If you can feel it with your finger nail its too deep to be removed by compound, wet sanding would be needed. I like to fill the scratch with clear touch up before wet sanding to sand down the touch up more so than to sand down the factory clear, the scratch on the left is too deep. The other scratches I cant tell. But if its a dd then I wouldn't go overly aggressive with it. Just compound it and leave any rids, mike doesn't even recommend going after rids on dds.

Jpatchley
08-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Maybe try a glaze to hide them...

The Guz
08-04-2013, 12:41 AM
If you can feel it with your finger nail its too deep to be removed by compound, wet sanding would be needed. I like to fill the scratch with clear touch up before wet sanding to sand down the touch up more so than to sand down the factory clear, the scratch on the left is too deep. The other scratches I cant tell. But if its a dd then I wouldn't go overly aggressive with it. Just compound it and leave any rids, mike doesn't even recommend going after rids on dds.

Nicely said.

AliMusa
08-04-2013, 01:34 AM

excellent explanation. the only thing i don't understand is what is a dd?