PDA

View Full Version : Which coating has the most durability?????

Wes Bremec
08-03-2013, 04:20 PM
I want to get opinions on this topic because of the fact I am going to do a complete correction on my vehicle and want to protect it with the best of the best. I am leaning towards gtechniq c1 followed by exo. My first choice was opti coat, but I have heard some negative feedback on many horizontal body panels failing.i simply want opinions and potentially positive feedback:)

hernandez.art13
08-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Subscribed

Rsurfer
08-03-2013, 05:00 PM
I want to get opinions on this topic because of the fact I am going to do a complete correction on my vehicle and want to protect it with the best of the best. I am leaning towards gtechniq c1 followed by exo. My first choice was opti coat, but I have heard some negative feedback on many horizontal body panels failing.i simply want opinions and potentially positive feedback:)
All nano coatings require a super clean surface to bond to. Most failures are from poor prep work. IMO C1 is a little harder to apply than OC. Plus with the cost of C1 and EXO, you have a pretty pricey system.

SR99
08-03-2013, 05:21 PM
What leads you to believe that the properties of the 2 are additive or complementary (as opposed to the combination is less durable than either one individually, or only the last one matters)? Does the manufacturer claim this layering is beneficial? Just wondering.

swanicyouth
08-03-2013, 05:45 PM
What leads you to believe that the properties of the 2 are additive or complementary (as opposed to the combination is less durable than either one individually, or only the last one matters)? Does the manufacturer claim this layering is beneficial? Just wondering.

They claim beneficial look and water beading. There has been a few people saying there have been issues with C1 not curing right (spotting).

If it was me I would go with OptiCoat if you want it to be "permanent" and C Quatz UK if you plan on changing it up anytime in the future.

I hav been impressed with every CarPro product I've tried. I also like they have a dedicated prep product (Eraser) to prep with. Why Optimum hasn't come out with one is anyone's guess. Maybe 'cause if they did and the coating failed it wouldn't be so easy to blame it on the prep.

Or, you could be gutsy and try the coating from Nano Skin that's $170. Someone has to try it eventually.

Wes Bremec
08-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Thank you all

TundraPower
08-03-2013, 07:49 PM
22PLE is by far my #1 seller. Easy to apply, killer results, killer durability.

FUNX650
08-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Why don't you give Todd Cooperider a call and see what kind of deal he will give to a fellow Ohioan on some 22ple VX1 Pro Glass Coating.
And...Don't forget to ask him for some of his: Esoteric Signature Wax as a "topper"...for when the 22ple coating has fully cured in 4-5 days.

^^^That^^^...

Or go with Opti-Gard Pro!

:)

Bob

PiPUK
08-04-2013, 05:49 AM
If durability is the key, surely OC is the only answer from the present detailing brands? It is a lifetime coating compared to everything else which is a year or two.

silverfox
08-04-2013, 07:09 AM
A lifetime product? I'd like to see the proof of that. Unless this product was developed 50 years ago (yes there are many cars at least that old running around), its a chemical "assumption" at best.

What is lifetime? 2 years, 5 years? 15 years?

Come on man....

VP Mark
08-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Durability wise opti coat is king. There is nothing else out there that in aware of that even advertises working past 2 years.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Setec Astronomy
08-04-2013, 07:50 AM
A lifetime product? I'd like to see the proof of that. Unless this product was developed 50 years ago (yes there are many cars at least that old running around), its a chemical "assumption" at best.

What is lifetime? 2 years, 5 years? 15 years?

Come on man....

Nothing lasts forever, cars and paint included. I think PiPuk meant/should have said "permanent" which is the way OPT describes it. BTW there are of course ways to do accelerated aging tests, which is how products like paints and stains and coatings for cars and houses and decks etc. are tested (not saying that OPT has done that, because I don't know). It's easy to do accelerated aging at 2-3 times as fast as "real life" for things like UV, because in real life it gets dark, but you can leave the lights on in your test chamber 24/7. If you double the intensity, you can get 4-6 years equivalent in 1 year. I don't know what the actual numbers are, I'm just throwing out the idea that accelerated aging tests are done all the time, you don't need 50 years.

FUNX650
08-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Nothing lasts forever, cars and paint included. I think PiPuk meant/should have said "permanent" which is the way OPT describes it. BTW there are of course ways to do accelerated aging tests, which is how products like paints and stains and coatings for cars and houses and decks etc. are tested (not saying that OPT has done that, because I don't know). It's easy to do accelerated aging at 2-3 times as fast as "real life" for things like UV, because in real life it gets dark, but you can leave the lights on in your test chamber 24/7. If you double the intensity, you can get 4-6 years equivalent in 1 year. I don't know what the actual numbers are, I'm just throwing out the idea that accelerated aging tests are done all the time, you don't need 50 years.
I can't find it right at the moment...
But I'm sure I saw the post stating where Dr. G's Optimum Coatings have undergone
the same accelerated aging tests as in the following: United States Patent: 6669763 (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=2&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=%22ghodoussi,+vahid%22&OS=%22ghodoussi,+vahid%22&RS=%22ghodoussi,+vahid%22)

"The QUV Weatherometer is a standard test procedure (ASTM Practice G-53...now ASTM G-154) used to accelerate
the exposure effects of water, heat and sunlight on materials that will be subjected to outdoor exposure".

"The rule of thumb is that 1100 hours of Weatherometer exposure can be approximately
correlated with 7 years of Great Lakes climate and 5 years of Florida/Arizona climate".

Here's the one regarding OCW...with an honorable mention toward Opti-'Coatings':
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/52781-dr-ghodoussi-where-s-beef-4.html...Post #36

I'll keep looking...

:)

Bob