PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle detailing question

Harry Da Hamster
08-03-2013, 02:00 AM
A buddy of mine recently asked me to buff and detail his sport bike but due to the liability i declined. I have my fair share of riding experience with sport/cruiser/dirt bikes. What i was worried about was the slick cement and slick chemicals and soaps and the bike or my feet sliding out from under me when slowly maneuvering the thing. What do you folks do to prevent an accidental spill?

lunchboxmunchy
08-03-2013, 03:35 AM
I've detailed a few motorcycles, including my own. I have a 2013 HD Street Glide. She's a heavy b**ch. I find it easier to sit on the bike and stand it up. Your weight will keep it in decent contact with the ground. Take it SLOW! It's always good to have a decent pair of shoes on that will give you some traction. Motorcycles aren't too heavy. If it starts to lean or slip out from under you, stop and stand it back up. A normal "crotch rocket" is about 325lbs. Plus or minus some. My Street Glide is pushing 800lbs. I've almost laid mine over turning around really slow and I was able to stand it back up without getting off. Just be careful and take your time. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Keep Calm & Chive On

wba1949
08-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Buy yourself a cheap ($85.00) motorcycle jack from Harbor Freight and get the bike straight, higher up off the ground for easy access of wheels, pipes and etc., and it will be stable in a wet environment.

maxcustody
08-03-2013, 09:03 AM
I have owned bikes for years...........just be careful and sit on the bike to move it around. Like others have said wear good shoes......most of the time an accident happens is carelessness, wearing flip flops and moving a bike around is an accident waiting to happen.

Harry Da Hamster
08-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Buy yourself a cheap ($85.00) motorcycle jack from Harbor Freight and get the bike straight, higher up off the ground for easy access of wheels, pipes and etc., and it will be stable in a wet environment.

I was thinking this was the absolute best option. A motorcycle jack for cruisers and a stand for sport bikes.

For now i'll just avoid motorcycle details. I detail as a side job only for friends and i can't budget a jack and/or stand.

JBRacing
08-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Rear stand & swingarm spools for me. I'd be iffy about the stands that just go under the swingarm when things get wet. I don't move it once I start or go nuts with the water. I use a Stihl leaf blower to dry so no puddles to worry about. What about having the bike owner supply the stand for their bike?

Real Riders
08-03-2013, 09:47 PM
I wash and dry the bike outside. Once the bike is dry I move the bike into the garage on a dry floor and lower the sidestand. If you do not have a race stand, it is always good to place the bike in first gear. This will keep the bike rolling off the sidestand in case you accidentally bump the bike during the detail process. I have a Racedeck floor so I always mop the floor with Simple Green to remove any greasy chemicals before and after the detail.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o119/RealRiders2006/100_04551_zps2d2667a2.jpg (http://s118.photobucket.com/user/RealRiders2006/media/100_04551_zps2d2667a2.jpg.html)

rmagnus
08-04-2013, 06:00 PM
I was thinking this was the absolute best option. A motorcycle jack for cruisers and a stand for sport bikes.

For now i'll just avoid motorcycle details. I detail as a side job only for friends and i can't budget a jack and/or stand.

If you're not comfortable then passing is the right thing to do. You do not need a bike lift to detail a bike. It does make it way easier especially for the wheels. If you don't want to be responsible for moving the bike have the owner park it in the area where it is to be cleaned up do all the work there and let the owner move the bike.

Moving a bike seems like a no brainer if you're a biker if not I agree don't move it. I've washed and waxed my Ultra Classic many times without putting it on a lift.

The real PITA is all the nook and crannies on bikes and chrome on the Harleys. Get ready for scraped knuckles as you'll find plenty of sharp things in and around the engine compartment.