PDA

View Full Version : Safe to wash with my water?

purplenurple
06-08-2007, 12:10 PM
So the water we get at our new house is well water. It has lots of salt, and was wondering if it is safe to wash the cars with it? The water is somewhat filtered, but the salt isn't. Only thing I could think of is extra water spots, but proper drying and a quick detailer take care of that. The sooner I know, the sooner I can wash and test some new porducts on the GTO :D

Thanks.

wytstang
06-08-2007, 12:38 PM
I washed my dads truck with Georgia well water (stinks like rotten eggs) did just fine as long as it didn't dry up on the paint.

tod071
06-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Have you considered ONR or DP 4in1? Use them and wash the car in sections/panels at a time so you don't get the water spots and premature drying.

In Hawaii, we don't have too much of a problem with bad water, but the sun just dries it up by the time you rinse your sponge. Even in the shade! So, I've since changed my method and use ONR.

Good luck!

Mike T
06-08-2007, 01:51 PM
I've honestly never heard anything bad about using it. IF you don't want to go the waterless wash route then I would still pick up some 4in1 or ONR and add a once of that to your wash bucket to soften up and add more lubrication to the wash.

purplenurple
06-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I washed the GTO today, and I got water spots on places where the water evaporated the fastest (ie- trunk and roof). I thought they would be gone after using meg's qd on the whole car. I was wrong, and noticed the spots after I have started glazing and sealing it. Oh well, next time....

Anyone have a problem with water spots in FL, or another super sunny place? The ONR and 4in1 seem like great products, especially since using meg's qd as clay lubricant is getting expensive.

wytstang
06-08-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm in SC and yes I use ONR when I wash as it does cut down spot to an extent(sp?). Actually what I did a few days ago was wake up at 5:30 am to do a wash. All though it worked out just fine I'm not a morning person and will never do that again lol.