PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845 2nd coat question

main pft
08-02-2013, 01:22 PM
I have a question regarding other products before my 2nd coat of #845.

For my 1st coat I did the following:

1- The 2 bucket wash method using Dawn
2- Clayed the car
3- Applied Meguiars 7 Mirror Glaze
4- Applied Griot's Pre Wax Cleaner
5- Applied my 1st coat of 845

My question.......When I apply my second coat (a few days later) do I just do a 2 bucket wash w/ my normal wash soap (Meguiars GC) then dry and apply my 2nd coat of 845?

I shouldn't redo the Meguiars 7 or Griots Pre Wax should I?

Feed back please

Thanks guys....

addysdaddy
08-02-2013, 02:06 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html

read through this thread

cleanmycorolla
08-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Applying the cleaner wax after the glaze probably just took the glaze off FYI.

Also no need to use a glaze and pre wax cleaner lots of unneeded stuff in there IMO.

rmagnus
08-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Applying the cleaner wax after the glaze probably just took the glaze off FYI.

Not probably it did. Skip the glazing and a second coat of 845 isn't needed. This is a very durable wax just let it do it's thing. Go drive and show off your shine!

Steps 1, 2, 4 & 5 are fine. If needed make step 4 your polish step, M205 etc. If you're hell bent on glaxing wait 24 hours and put it on top of the wax. Glazes don't last long anyway. They have their place but I'm not big on them for clear coat paint. M#7 on SS paint is another story.

07gtcs
08-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Now I know a way to get #7 off totally. lol

main pft
08-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Thanks everyone.

So to recap. Don't worry about a second coat and the next time I do my complete detail forget the #7 glaze.

One more question....is there a place to use this glaze? After an ONR wash or quick detail maybe?

Or does the #7 glaze find its way to the "no longer use" section of my cabinet?

poko
08-02-2013, 09:40 PM
When I was new to car detailing I picked up #7. I used it several times but finally decided to throw it away because of following reasons though it made my dark paint more deeper:
1. Hard to remove. To remove I needed much elbow grease and I was afraid to make micro scratches,
2. I learned in this forum that #7 is beneficial for old, single stage paint that my car doesn't have,
3. The viscosity of the glaze in the bottle had changed, after two years it became more like water, when applying with DA it splashes all over and annoyed me.

You may find the same thing as 2. above when you do research in the forum.:)

Dr Oldz
08-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks everyone.

So to recap. Don't worry about a second coat and the next time I do my complete detail forget the #7 glaze.

One more question....is there a place to use this glaze? After an ONR wash or quick detail maybe?

Or does the #7 glaze find its way to the "no longer use" section of my cabinet?

There are glazes made for modern Clearcoats and you can find many if them here. 7 still does work on CC tho and will mask swirls and add a nice wet look. Next time use the Griots pre wax cleaner b4 the glaze and then wax right after glazing( u just had the order mixed up). As far as second coat now....wash, dry and wax away!

Dr Oldz
08-02-2013, 09:57 PM
When I was new to car detailing I picked up #7. I used it several times but finally decided to throw it away because of following reasons though it made my dark paint more deeper:
1. Hard to remove. To remove I needed much elbow grease and I was afraid to make micro scratches,
2. I learned in this forum that #7 is beneficial for old, single stage paint that my car doesn't have,
3. The viscosity of the glaze in the bottle had changed, after two years it became more like water, when applying with DA it splashes all over and annoyed me.

You may find the same thing as 2. above when you do research in the forum.:)

1 sounds like you let it dry. Work a small section then remove wet. Don't let it dry

2 Correct

3 It settles a lot. Try shaking once a month if you aren't using. Otherwise shake the living bejesus out of it and it should be ok.