PDA

View Full Version : Out of this WORLD!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Dust2Glory
06-08-2007, 11:03 AM
The other day when I was detailing the Volve and the 550i, i get this old guy that walks up to me and starts talking... he had something stuck on his paint and wanted me to look at it. Looked like tar ate through part of his clearcoat and paint. But that's not the important part:

I'm gonna make this nice and big so you understand the full effect of what I'm this guy told me next:

"I use pledge to wax my car"

I know i then gave him a look like he was the dumbest man on the face of the earth. but he was dead serious. He takes a towel and dampens it, then sprays pledge on it then proceeds to wipe it over his entire car. then get a dry towel and buffs it out. on his tires and his trim. Said some guy he knew in, well i forgot where, but said he did it on a car for 10yrs and was shiney. The guy that i talked to had been doing it to his impala for a year.

I looked that car up and down and couldn't find anything wrong with it!! I know pledge has oils and lubricants in it... and it repels dust as well. Has anyone else heard of this, or willing to try it??

P1et
06-08-2007, 11:06 AM
I've actually heard this before many, many times. Not that I'm trying it though!

AL417
06-08-2007, 11:09 AM
A lot of bikers have been using Pledge on their bikes for years. They all kid around not to use the Lemon scent because it attracts bees.

Grimm
06-08-2007, 11:32 AM
I've read that as well about people using it for shows. Really, it is just a spray wax so it probably does the job. I just don't know how well it would work since it's made for wood finishes.

Surfer
06-08-2007, 11:39 AM
I use Pledge on furnature....not touching my paint

Islander
06-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Back in the late 70's thru mid 80's when I was showing my car, alot of guys used pledge in a way we would use a QD today. I have no idea on long term effects, but I must admit it made Blacks, dark blues and reds look real deep and wet. Personally, I just stuck with my gliptone back then....

DavidJ021
06-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Thats so strange cause I was looking through other forums and some of them use Pledge on their engines. I searched after reading that on the AG forums and came up with this thread lol Funny timing..

One of the guys said he uses Pledge and another guy uses WD-40 on his engine.

Gary Sword
06-08-2007, 03:11 PM
I have never heard of using Pledge on a car but it might be better than nothing at all.

tnbug4me
06-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Years ago when i was a small kid i was always hanging around this all service gas station. The guy that detailed cars said he used brake fluid for a protectants for the weather stripping around the trunk and doors. Never tried this myself.

richy
06-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I heard about this YEARS ago in the old car circiut.

Al-53
06-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Pledge is a old trick in the show car circuit....a lot used it to intense the gloss when showing to be judged....it also was used on the vinyl seats and Pleather seats....on the old lacquer paints it really added some gloss....Big Daddy Roth was a big one to use pledge on paint..he built a ton of rods...not that its a good thing to use..but it was in the days....never seen any adverse effect either....

AL

Dust2Glory
06-08-2007, 04:19 PM
anyone got a bottle in their house that can list the stuff that's in it... maybe we can tell what actually gives it gloss and shine

Al-53
06-08-2007, 04:49 PM
anyone got a bottle in their house that can list the stuff that's in it... maybe we can tell what actually gives it gloss and shine

I believe it is Lemon oil....Almond oil...and wax.....I believe Meg's uses Almond oil in some glazes....they have a strong almond smell anyways....

Al

P1et
06-08-2007, 06:05 PM
I heard that Souveran is just solidified Pledge...

dengood1
06-08-2007, 08:46 PM
I heard that Souveran is just solidified Pledge...

So spray the Pledge in one spot for about 10 minutes and you'll have Souveran:D

Of course.....we're just kidding folks.