PDA

View Full Version : dish soap

Pages : [1] 2 3

beamerstrumpet
08-01-2013, 10:17 PM
I know this has come up before, but I can not find it, so,,,,,,

Doing a clearing washto remove glaze and wax ect,,, I have heard that Dawn is the best. Any other favorites? I was going to try Gain Dish soap to see what is really going on with my black Honda.
Thanks.

Tinwhiskers
08-01-2013, 10:34 PM
There's been some debate as to whether Dawn actually does anything I terms of removing LSPs. I personally think it will remove waxes due to the nature of the chemicals, but sealants and other products are questionable.

When I really want to clean my paint I'll use a paint cleaner (DP's new one relly interests me) followed by a solvent like Prep-All.

jamesboyy
08-01-2013, 10:40 PM
yes you can use gain dish soap, Palmolive dish soap basically any dish soap but for me dawn dish soap i feel does the best job.

beamerstrumpet
08-01-2013, 11:29 PM
There's been some debate as to whether Dawn actually does anything I terms of removing LSPs. I personally think it will remove waxes due to the nature of the chemicals, but sealants and other products are questionable.

When I really want to clean my paint I'll use a paint cleaner (DP's new one relly interests me) followed by a solvent like Prep-All.

I have a paint cleaner. I jsut want to use the soap to get all the crap off so I can inspect and take before pictures.

KBsToy
08-02-2013, 08:16 AM
I use CG wash concentrate 1oz per gallon

jjj
08-02-2013, 08:19 AM
I use CG wash concentrate 1oz per gallon

+1

Christopher.Brown
08-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Im firmly of the belief that its almost pointless to use household soap to strip LSP's. Its simple chemistry [that i wont get into] that these products are formulated to fight dish grease NOT road and environmental contaminants.

Unless you us a D-limonene based cleaner such as P21s total care or CG citrus W&G, your 'stripping ' would be severely limited... even then i would still do an IPA wipedown or two ... especially with a sealant!

just my opinion but ive read a lot about it

07gtcs
08-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Use an APC mixed in with Dawn or use Dawn or any dish soap for wash bucket, but when I spray on my APC...you can see the wax/sealant melt off...then wash with suds to get the apc off....rinse....done.

FUNX650
08-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Unless you us a D-limonene based cleaner such as P21s total care or CG citrus W&"G", your 'stripping ' would be severely limited...
even then i would still do an IPA wipedown or two ... especially with a sealant!

If CG citrus W&G did, in fact, strip away all traces of an existing LSP...
What would be your opinion regarding the aspects of the "G" in CG citrus W&"G"?

Thanks.

:)

Bob

Christopher.Brown
08-02-2013, 10:20 AM
If CG citrus W&G did, in fact, strip away all traces of an existing LSP...
What would be your opinion regarding the aspects of the "G" in CG citrus W&G?

Thanks.

:)

Bob

I dont use it...for the very fact you provided... gloss means some sort of polymer or lubricating or protective measure of coating....

but its supposed to have d-Limonene in it....thats why i mentioned it....

perhaps i should have stated d-limonene cleaners such as P212 and Citrus W&G have been reported my AGO members to strip LSP...

beamerstrumpet
08-03-2013, 02:49 AM
Ok, all the acronyms are killing me. I might as well spray naphtha all over and then wash car.

ScottB
08-03-2013, 05:56 AM
Leave kitchen products in the kitchen, and use the correct products for the best outcome in car care. Many good cleaning soaps exist, as do paint cleaners and polishes.

BobbyG
08-03-2013, 06:05 AM
It's best to use products specifically formulated for a cars finish. Can you use dish washing soap? Yes, but I wouldn't use it too often.

Mix 1 to 2 ounces to 5 gallons of clean water and wash as usual. Rinse thoroughly, inspect then clay...where you go from here is your next choice...

TurboToys
08-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Im firmly of the belief that its almost pointless to use household soap to strip LSP's. Its simple chemistry [that i wont get into] that these products are formulated to fight dish grease NOT road and environmental contaminants.

Unless you us a D-limonene based cleaner such as P21s total care or CG citrus W&G, your 'stripping ' would be severely limited... even then i would still do an IPA wipedown or two ... especially with a sealant!

ok, well i had 2 coats of blackfire wet diamond and weekly upkeep with polymer spray , did a dawn wash yesterday to help remove the coatings to prep for a friend doing some corrective work for a show tomorrow.

it went from beading awesome, to barely sheeting, pretty sure it stripped it.

jjj
08-03-2013, 07:44 AM
ok, well i had 2 coats of blackfire wet diamond and weekly upkeep with polymer spray , did a dawn wash yesterday to help remove the coatings to prep for a friend doing some corrective work for a show tomorrow.

it went from beading awesome, to barely sheeting, pretty sure it stripped it.

Dawn will strip most waxes and sealants, the problem I have found with dawn, is that it can and will dry out plastic and rubber parts. Ie seals and some types of trim parts. I used it for years till I found that this to be true. Bottom line it works, but at what cost?