PDA

View Full Version : Quick Review: Nano Skin Hydro Express

swanicyouth
08-01-2013, 11:46 AM
I was lucky enough to receive a virtually new bottle of Nano Skin Hydro Express (NS HS) as a total free gift from Wors (Ben):

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/01/ymypy7ez.jpg

It was really nice of him to send it to me, as I love spray wax / QD type of products. Actually, this is a "spray sealant" or "spray polymer" as NS calls it. The purpose of this "spray polymer" is to boost your wax/sealant, add some gloss, and help repel water. The product is a clear liquid and comes with an "on/off" sprayer - no stream/mist.

Here is the sig:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/02/y8u4e8yg.jpg

I decided to try this product out on top of Capture the Rapture. Sealant on top of wax? Doesn't make sense, does it? Well, it doesn't say "this product can't be used on top of a wax", so why not? Anyway, I find "going over" the car with something is mandatory after CTR (black car) as this wax is very oily / sticky and leaves some "wax holograms".

Honestly, I wasn't expecting too much from this product. Why? Well, for starters, a guy sent it to me for free, minus a few sprays. So, my assumption is he didn't like it. Second, there was a negative experience reported by one of the forum members with NS products and the company's reaction to said forum member's questions from the company's rep. Not the decon towels, but other liquid products in the line.

I've never bought any NS products for this reason. For a clay substitute I've been using the Chemical Guys "Clay Block" / Magna Sponge, which works great for me. But I figured I procured this stuff for nothing, the least I could do is give it a fair chance and do a review of it.

Basically, you spray it on and wipe it off, like any other QD. But, as we know, they are not all the same. The concentration of "polymers" in this product seem middle of the road. What I mean by that is, some spray sealants (like Dodo Red Mist Tropical & Sonax Brilliant Shine) require only the smallest spray to cover a panel. They are "quite concentrated". The NS HS requires an intermediate amount of spray to cover the panel. However, the "polymers" or protection in the product seem substantial, more substantial than other spray and wipe products - if that makes any sense.

This isn't a bad thing, in fact, it gives you more liquid to "play with" to help wipe off any dust that may have settled on the surface. Although this product is not intended to be a "cleaner" per se, I found it did a decent job of removing dust and fingerprints.

In reality, this product reminds me sort of a diluted WOWA sealant. It seems "diluted" enough so you can spread it well. After you spray it, it doesn't "haze" as much as it "disappears clear" into the paint like a WOWA. I found no problem using a single Cobra 600 gsm towel to apply this product to the whole car, as its pretty "non-finicky".

I was even able to use this product in the sun. Granted, I did get some very light streaking (on black) in one or two locations only, but other than that it worked well. This product reminds me of a WOWA in a sense that you want to spread it fast after you spray it, as it starts to flash. The faster you spread it the more area it covers, like a WOWA. Its starts to "disappear" or flash more by spreading it out, than buffing - which makes it pretty easy and enjoyable to use.

The product is slick, but not super slick like some other spray sealants. Its not sticky at all and smells like nothing. However, when you use it, you get the feeling your adding a "real sealant" to the the surface, not just a glorified quick detailer. I would say the description "spray polymer" that NS uses is pretty accurate.

Unfortunately, I used this product on my garage queen, so the only water effects on it I will see is when I wash it next. But, I get the feeling the product handles water well, as it does seem like a substantial sealant when you apply it.

NS claims this product continues curing for 24 hours and dries clear. They also claim it can be used on areas like chrome and glass - pretty much all surfaces. First on the curing, I buy that. As, the streak or two I noticed from using in the sun was only after the car sat for a day inside. It wasn't there when I applied it the previous day. So, the streak came out after it cured. I don't want to give you the impression this is a streaky product - because its not. I'm just saying, a streak or two popped up, but only after the product "cured" for a day. That streak was easily taken care of with another spray of NS HS and the same towel I used to apply it previously.

I also wanted to test this product on glass, as NS claims it can be used on glass and dries clear. I'm happy to say it worked well on glass and did dry clear. This is good news, because if its clear in your glass its clear on your paint. Getting it "clear" on glass was not hard either. This is where the WOWA type behavior comes in, as it almost disappeared into the glass on its own after spreading it out. A flip of the towel and a few wipes and it was gone.

So, to sum it up, I was quite happy with this product. It works well, very well. It add nice gloss to the paint, works pretty good as a QD, and dries clear on glass. Most of all its easy to use (even on black) and performs well in the sun. Its not the slickest product out there, but it does have some slickness to it. Its kind of a unique product, in the sense it seems like a QD / spray sealant / WOWA hybrid to me. It's an excellent post wash wax/sealant booster.

Also, my guess is it would work well as a drying aid. In actuality, the absence of a "stream/mist" sprayer is not an issue, as the sprayer provided works well with the product. The sprayer reminds me of the Chemical Guy's 16oz type sprayer, although it may not be exactly the same.

I do t think post use pictures really add much to a review of a product like this, as how is a picture really going to show what a spray polymer does. The car doesn't get wet, so I have no beading shots, but here is the car after using the product:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/02/8uqy5y7a.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/02/5u2a6ytu.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/02/y6ebadez.jpg

I will definitely purchase this product again when I run out. I like it a lot.

LatinFG2
08-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Nice review. Ride looks very reflective.

Vegas Transplant
08-01-2013, 12:39 PM
So, to sum it up, I was quite happy with this product. It works well, very well. It add nice gloss to the paint, works pretty good as a QD, and dries clear on glass. Most of all its easy to use (even on black) and performs well in the sun. Its not the slickest product out there, but it does have some slickness to it. Its kind of a unique product, in the sense it seems like a QD / spray sealant / WOWA hybrid to me. It's an excellent post wash wax/sealant booster.

I will definitely purchase this product again when I run out. I like it a lot.

Having found a product line and end results that I desire, I can comfortably say that I thoroughly enjoy your posts and threads. Seems that I get the experience vicariously through your words...sans the price of admission.

Wors
08-01-2013, 01:14 PM
swanicyouth, the M coupe looks great. Glad you enjoy the NS product. Thanks for posting the review.

Meghan
08-01-2013, 03:18 PM
That shine is amazing!

BrutalNoodle
02-14-2014, 09:47 PM
Hey swani, how are ya.

How would you rate between this, Prima Hydro Max, and Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer - based on looks first, and longevity second.

swanicyouth
02-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Hey swani, how are ya.

How would you rate between this, Prima Hydro Max, and Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer - based on looks first, and longevity second.

Hydro and BSD are a bit better IMHO. Never used Hydro Max. It's hard to say about durability of a spray wax - but BSD beads like crazy for a while. Hydro is slick, glossy, and very easy to use.

But I still like Hydro Express. Really, they all are pretty good. Can't go wrong with any of them.

I haven't detailed anything for over a month now. All we get is snow. Tonight - more snow. Car in the picture is covered in salt dust now. Even when there is no snow - the dust from the road salt coats everything.

BrutalNoodle
02-15-2014, 12:51 AM
Thank you for the feedback.

Tried BSD earlier around noon. At first it was so so. A few hours, however, I noticed how crisp the reflection is; reminiscent of Sonus Acrylic Glanz albeit muted. No flake pop. Nice and bright, but one-dimensional. The search for bling+cheap+easy continues... lol

Bummer about the condition. I'm a little annoyed with damp road from evening/early hour fog, but it's nothing compared to the stuff you guys are dealing with over there.

Tato
02-15-2014, 08:48 AM
Morning,

Apart from sender's kindness and 'your lucky' to receive the product for review, I believe you were chosen mainly because you have a vast knowledge and always make very good reviews - this one is no different.

Thanks for commenting on this product, and sharing your thoughts.

Kind Regards.

tersplat
02-15-2014, 09:04 PM
Awesome review. I just did a detail with all Nanoskin stuff, and I must say, they were all very easy to use, except for the Nanocut polish which was hard to wipe off. I will be trying out their other spray polymer NanoShock when I wash it next. I hope I am as happy with it as you are with the Hydro.

VP Mark
02-15-2014, 09:19 PM
That is some incredible shine. Thanks for the review.

tuscarora dave
02-15-2014, 09:21 PM
Hey Steve, Do you have a coating on your BMW?

The reason I ask, I have a client that says they hate the Opti-Coat 2.0 that I applied to their Lexus. The reason they gave me was that the wife likes to wash it and apply some Lucas QD product on the car and it smears and smudges when applied over the coating.

I like the way you describe this product as seeming like a QD and a WOWA sealant hybrid that works well in sun. Are you applying this over Opti-Coat?

I want to get something that is slightly more than just a QD that plays well with Opti-Coat to offer her as a solution to what she dislikes about the coating on her car.

swanicyouth
02-16-2014, 01:30 AM
No coating. Usually a wax or a sealant topped with a wax. I believe its Bouncers Capture The Rapture in those pics - or it could be Souverän.

For some reason, this product and others like it (WGDG LS) seem to work well on top of waxes.

The WG DGLS is about the best "slick liquid" that comes in a bottle IMO. I would go for that or Dodo Red Most Tropical on OC for great application experience, nice gloss, and slick feel.

I do have OC on parts of my Pathfinder. I use Sonax BSD on that - but it's not as slick/sexy as the other two.

swanicyouth
02-16-2014, 01:31 AM
Morning,

Apart from sender's kindness and 'your lucky' to receive the product for review, I believe you were chosen mainly because you have a vast knowledge and always make very good reviews - this one is no different.

Thanks for commenting on this product, and sharing your thoughts.

Kind Regards.

I've been nasty lately. :(

Everyone seemed to get mad because I don't like American cars.

Too much snow.

BrutalNoodle
02-16-2014, 10:29 PM
The WG DGLS is about the best "slick liquid" that comes in a bottle IMO. I would go for that or Dodo Red Most Tropical on OC for great application experience, nice gloss, and slick feel.

I do have OC on parts of my Pathfinder. I use Sonax BSD on that - but it's not as slick/sexy as the other two.

I've been eying WG DGLS. From what I read it seems to be the most forgiving in terms of application.

About Red Mist - How long did the shine last for you? Off all the QD type products I've sampled seemed to drop off sharply after the 3rd/4th day for me. It's kind of funny that UWW+ (@1:16) lasted a good 10 days before retouch. The reflection is that of FK425, I might add.