PDA

View Full Version : Very hot Flex XC 3401

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jet Black
07-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Guys yesterday my cousin and I was working on his car, 2 bucket wash, clayed and started a test spot he ended up choosing FG2500 with orange flat pad, we started on the top of the car hit the trunk then went to the hood. As we start the hood you can smell the smoke coming from the Flex at one point we saw smoke come from it. We let it cool of and started up again it got hot quickly and it even seemed like it was drying up the FG2500 we could get about 3 passes before it looked like the stuff was drying up, then when you touch the paint it was hot, I told him lets call it and I would ask the forum for some insight we plan on trying again tomorrow. Any input would be very welcome thanks.

rmagnus
07-30-2013, 12:51 PM
You might do a search as this has been discussed before. I've never taken mine apart but believe someone said there is heat sink grease inside it.

I've never expierenced this but something doesn't sound right. Is it under warranty? How long did it take to heat up to the point you thought it was running too hot?

I've been meaning to take some temperture reading from my Flex next time I do a compound or polish. You've just reminded me.

02xtreme07SS
07-30-2013, 12:57 PM
There are quite a few threads on AG about the 3401 running hot, but in most cases, it is completely normal.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/flex-polishers/45715-flex-3401-generates-lot-heat.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/flex-polishers/34987-flex-3401-running-hot-2.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/46666-heat-paint.html

Rsurfer
07-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Guys yesterday my cousin and I was working on his car, 2 bucket wash, clayed and started a test spot he ended up choosing FG2500 with orange flat pad, we started on the top of the car hit the trunk then went to the hood. As we start the hood you can smell the smoke coming from the Flex at one point we saw smoke come from it. We let it cool of and started up again it got hot quickly and it even seemed like it was drying up the FG2500 we could get about 3 passes before it looked like the stuff was drying up, then when you touch the paint it was hot, I told him lets call it and I would ask the forum for some insight we plan on trying again tomorrow. Any input would be very welcome thanks.
Try oiling the felt ring between the backing plate.

Jet Black
07-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Try oiling the felt ring between the backing plate.

When I first brought it I asked this question on here and was told no need, man some info can be conflicting. I'll try oiling the ring and see what happens. Thanks:confused:

erichaley
07-30-2013, 06:10 PM
There are quite a few threads on AG about the 3401 running hot, but in most cases, it is completely normal.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/flex-polishers/45715-flex-3401-generates-lot-heat.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/flex-polishers/34987-flex-3401-running-hot-2.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/46666-heat-paint.html

Yes, but there's a point where it reaches excessively hot... I believe the OP's issue qualifies as one of them. I also have heat issues with mine, and have measured temperatures as high as 150 degrees (with an IR thermometer). According to FLEX's repair center, this is excessive heat. I just need to ship it in or drive it 50 miles up the road to Omaha.

While lubricating the felt ring is an option, Mike Phillips has said that it's no longer necessary. Whatever you do, don't soak it in air tool oil as demonstrated in a YouTube video...

Jet Black
07-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Yes, but there's a point where it reaches excessively hot... I believe the OP's issue qualifies as one of them. I also have heat issues with mine, and have measured temperatures as high as 150 degrees (with an IR thermometer). According to FLEX's repair center, this is excessive heat. I just need to ship it in or drive it 50 miles up the road to Omaha.

While lubricating the felt ring is an option, Mike Phillips has said that it's no longer necessary. Whatever you do, don't soak it in air tool oil as demonstrated in a YouTube video...

I won't soak the ring I'll just lubricate it if it happens tomorrow I'll just call Flex and see where I can take it. Thanks for the help guys I'll keep posting my results. By the way it was killing his swirl and scratches, it's a good machine .

psnt1ol
07-30-2013, 07:52 PM
This might not mean anything but what gauge is your extension cord??? I noticed some power tools run hotter when the cord is both too small and too long.

Evan.J
07-30-2013, 07:59 PM
This might not mean anything but what gauge is your extension cord??? I noticed some power tools run hotter when the cord is both too small and too long.

Very good point :dblthumb2:

Nice photo in the sig too :goodjob2:

Jet Black
07-30-2013, 08:05 PM

The gauge I can't remember but it's 100ft, I at least need 50 to get it to the back yard. What gauge do you have? I may try a new cord also.

JHL88
07-30-2013, 08:13 PM
The gauge I can't remember but it's 100ft, I at least need 50 to get it to the back yard. What gauge do you have? I may try a new cord also.

+1 I was using a 14 or 16 gauge (can't remember) when my flex was overheating and causing the white snap ring to burn off and throw itself all over my paint.

I bought a 12 gauge 50ft chord and replaced the whole backing plate w/ felt ring and snap ring. Lubed the felt ring w/ 3 n 1 oil before firing it up again & Problem fixed.

Jet Black
07-30-2013, 08:23 PM
+1 I was using a 14 or 16 gauge (can't remember) when my flex was overheating and causing the white snap ring to burn off and throw itself all over my paint.

I bought a 12 gauge 50ft chord and replaced the whole backing plate w/ felt ring and snap ring. Lubed the felt ring w/ 3 n 1 oil before firing it up again & Problem fixed.

12 gauge got it.

Setec Astronomy
07-30-2013, 08:25 PM
White snap ring?

swanicyouth
07-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Hot ambient temps in that backyard and sun may contribute as well. What was the temperature outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Kevin Cullen
07-30-2013, 08:55 PM
12 gauge got it.

JHL88 is correct for sure on 50 feet should use 12 gauge cord. You are using 100 feet, consider 10 gauge for that length at a minimum. I seen a chart somewhere on what gauge for what length of cord but can't seem to find it but I do remember that 100 feet needs 10 gauge. :)