PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the roof when you're short?

Pages : [1] 2 3

dchawk81
07-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Per the title. I'm a mere 5'1. I'm not even tall enough to be the needle on a sun dial. I can barely get my small sedan roof (1999 Contour, my avatar) with a ladder. How would you recommend I do larger vehicles? Trucks I figure I can stand on the bed and SUVs I can crawl up there and work my way back. But I couldn't really properly hit my mother's 1998 Taurus because it's a large car that bulges at the sides, keeping my ladder uncomfortably away from the center of the roof.

Any tips?

Setec Astronomy
07-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Perhaps a medieval rack? Or one of those rigs that Tom Cruise used in that first Mission Impossible movie, to hang over the car?

Seriously, if you are just talking about washing you can get a brush or MF mop on a pole, but polishing is going to be a problem.

runrun411
07-29-2013, 08:25 PM
There are small scaffolding ladders that are great. I'm short too (5'6") and have a Honda pilot. I can't imagine life without one.

scrubs147
07-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Home Depot sells a nice 3 step ladder, I think a weighs about 2 pounds.

jamesboyy
07-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Hey dchawk81 if you need to get on top of your car to wash or polish it or what have you open up then doors and stand on the door jam or get a work platform

dchawk81
07-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Perhaps a medieval rack? Or one of those rigs that Tom Cruise used in that first Mission Impossible movie, to hang over the car?

Seriously, if you are just talking about washing you can get a brush or MF mop on a pole, but polishing is going to be a problem.

I meant more along the lines of hitting it with my buffer. I do have a telescoping brush for washing.

dchawk81
07-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Hey dchawk81 if you need to get on top of your car to wash or polish it or what have you open up then doors and stand on the door jam or get a work platform

I do that with my Contour but I don't have the wingspan to get to the center of something bulgy like the Taurus. I also can't use the buffer one handed. Well, I can, but the lack of control makes it dangerous to both me and the car.

Can you recommend a platform? It would have to be non-level surface compatible.

dchawk81
07-29-2013, 09:13 PM
There are small scaffolding ladders that are great. I'm short too (5'6") and have a Honda pilot. I can't imagine life without one.

Do you lean against the car for support?

People were screaming at me for just using paper towels on bird poop. Heaven forbid my pants touch.

MarkD51
07-29-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm sure we've all done this, standing on Door Sills, Ladders, Step Stools, and even tires, and can recall a few times losing my balance, almost breaking my darn neck with vehicles like my SUV, and some lofty pickups I've owned over the years.

Home Depot/Lowes, and even Wally World has a myriad of small stools-ladders, platforms.

I'm 5'-8", and even with the little Kia Spectra, I still like something to get on, so I can see "down upon the paint" when I'm doing things like correction processes on the roof.

There's only a few cars that one can "look down upon" when it comes to the roof, and Ferrari 360 Modenas, and 458 Italias and the like come to mind.

A cheap light step stool can of course serve dual purpose around the house, it's good to have a couple on hand, like when you're looking for that elusive spice in the kitchen cabinet, which it never seems to fail, it's usually buried all the way in the back.

Something that is easy to use, and takes up little space is a bonus, where such can be stored in a work shed, or a closet without taking up much room.
Mark

Mach1USMC
07-29-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm only 65 inches myself. I have a step stool I use for those hard to reach places. Worst case scenario I will put a terry cloth towel on the bottom of the door jam and stand on it to reach the middle of the roof. Or stand on the tire... it's not perfect but sometimes you just do what you gotta do.

Setec Astronomy
07-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Do you lean against the car for support?

People were screaming at me for just using paper towels on bird poop. Heaven forbid my pants touch.

For cryin' out loud, you said it was Bounty. Just wear microfiber pants.

dchawk81
07-29-2013, 09:31 PM

Maybe my Select-A-Size shorts? :-D

Mach1USMC
07-29-2013, 09:31 PM

I actually have a MF detailing apron - works great!!

RedXray
07-29-2013, 09:32 PM

lol microfiber pants! I actually use Bounty during wax & grease removal before painting a car.

You can put some foam pipe insulation on those platforms to help protect the finish.

Detailing by M
07-29-2013, 09:33 PM
You can't put a buffer on a stick.
You have to hold the machine with your hand so therefore you need to get your but in the air.
If you can't find a step ladder then go with the folding scaffolding.
$100 and you can get 4' taller

Here's my Warner (Ignore the sexy man I'm pointing at my Warner tool holder)
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/MaseratiMario/f9ad7fab.jpg