PDA

View Full Version : Best product to use on full leather wrapped dashboards?

Radarryan
07-29-2013, 05:50 PM
I was riding along today in my Dad's 2012.5 Aston Martin Vantage Roadster when it hit me: this dash is getting bombarded with UV rays all the time (since it's a convertible) and I haven't done anything really to protect it after cleaning.

So my question to all you enthusiasts and high-end detailers that work on Astons and other exotics with full (real) leather dashes: what product (or products do you all recommend for this? I've heard good things about Sonax, Leather Masters, 1Z, as well as maybe Ultima Interior GP, but I wanted to get some feedback before I pull the trigger.

Here is a shot of what it looks like from this afternoon when we were driving.

Radarryan
07-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Sorry it only allows me to attach one photo per post on my iPad... Anyone know how to change that?

No matter, here is a second. Thanks for the input/feedback and happy detailing!

FUNX650
07-29-2013, 06:35 PM
I would suggest LeatherMasters products...
(I use them on less expensive vehicles' leather/synthetic-leather, though)

However...Sounds like you guys can afford the best leather products information/suggestions available.
As such...Contacting these fine folks would seem prudent in my viewpoint:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/judyb.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/roger-koh.html

Follow up question:
Does this Aston Martin have the "suede" headliner?
(Another one of those materials-science "cleaning-conundrums".)

:)

Bob

inDetail
07-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Get a high end leather care products. Leatherique or Connolly are fine products. I'm doubting it highly on a AM but make sure the leather is not coated. Coated leather requires different cleaning and treatment methods.

Radarryan
07-29-2013, 06:42 PM
I would suggest LeatherMasters products...
(I use them on less expensive vehicles' leather/synthetic-leather, though)

However...Sounds like you guys can afford the best leather products information/suggestions available.
As such...Contacting these folks would seem prudent in my viewpoint:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/judyb.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/roger-koh.html

Follow up question:
Does this Aston Martin have the "suede" headliner?
(Another one of those materials-science "cleaning-conundrums".)

:)

Bob

Thanks, Bob! I do believe that she "A" pillar and convertible headliner is Alcantara, but I would have to double check and get back to you.

Regarding prices, I have found that, at least most of the time, the difference between the low end and high end products are not that much, from an absolute standpoint. Percentage wise, they very well could be but since this is a hobby, not a profession for me and I really only work on my family's cars it doesn't hurt the wallet... Too much (I have found that 15% off no exclusions and free shipping hurts more!)

I have only heard good things about LMs and think I will be picking up a kit pretty soon to at least use on my mom's pleather and my coated (or treated, not 100% sure) leather.

Sometimes it's worth getting the best product for the job because most of the time, you get what you pay for. For $5 a year more in leather care, why take the chance?

Happy detailing!

Radarryan
07-29-2013, 06:47 PM
Get a high end leather care products. Leatherique or Connolly are fine products. I'm doubting it highly on a AM but make sure the leather is not coated. Coated leather requires different cleaning and treatment methods.

I do believe it is uncoated from my previous cleanings, but honestly I've been spending so much time on mine lately that the Aston is in need of some patented TLC. I read on AG that SONAX leather cleaner/conditioner can be used on uncoated leather, any thoughts on that?

That being said I tend to buy separate cleaners and conditioners because I condition more often than I clean and condition (not sure if this is considered "good practice"? Feedback needed). Would Leatherique not be too strong for the AM leather? Also, I've heard that Connolly's is a different formula and is no where near what it used to be -- any thoughts/experience?