PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Products clairification

MiCVPI
07-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Hello Everyone,

I need some help with the Meguiars line of products.

I purchased their #6 cleaner wax to use for polishing for vehicles that don't have heavy swirls or other blems and and want to make sure my thinking is correct. I was planning on using the #6 Cleaner wax as my go to product after I clay for polishing. Is this the correct product or should I use the 205 after clay? I have a 7424 and I'm using Lake Country flat pads.

I was planning on using the #7 Glaze after clay and polishing, but now I'm not so sure….? Also, what is the difference between their #20 and #21 sealers? Should I skip the #7 and go to a sealer instead? Feed back please

Thanks!

B

Setec Astronomy
07-29-2013, 03:54 PM
So you are asking whether you should use #6 or #205? And then you want to use #7 after that step? Followed by #20 or #21?

Is this for your personal vehicles or are you running a business? What kind of vehicles/paint will you be working on?

MiCVPI
07-29-2013, 04:14 PM
So you are asking whether you should use #6 or #205? And then you want to use #7 after that step? Followed by #20 or #21?

Is this for your personal vehicles or are you running a business? What kind of vehicles/paint will you be working on?

Setec: thanks for the reply. Correct. Seems like a bit of overlap in their products, for good reason I'm sure.

These are personal vehicles but will be detailing vehicles from friends and family after. Hoping to turn this into a nice little business. The first two vehicles I will be doing is a 2013 Fusion and a 2006 Crown Vic.

Now that I type this I'm thinking I should do a test area and see what the outcome is with the least aggressive product....

Setec Astronomy
07-29-2013, 04:27 PM
I don't know if you already have these products, but they wouldn't be the products I would use if I was starting over. I have used plenty of #6, but it does stain trim (as do most Meg's LSP's) and is a little bit of an older product. Most members also do not find much utility in using #7 on newer cars (with clearcoat paint). #20 and #21...I believe #20 has more cleaners, akin to #6 but a sealant rather than a wax.

#6 and #205 are used for different purposes, as #6 would be considered an all-in-one (AIO) product, while #205 is a finishing polish.

A common 2-step polishing process would be M105/M205, followed by the LSP of your choice. Both of these are available in small bottles. If you really want an AIO, Meg's D151 would be a better choice IMO (available only by the gallon here at AG), but there are fine products from other mfrs as well, including Optimum GPS or Opti-Seal, Duragloss 501, and many others. You also might consider the Meg's Microfiber DA system, which has a compound and a finishing wax.

hernandez.art13
07-29-2013, 04:38 PM
IMO fix the paint then seal it

http://youtu.be/We_x09XCf6I

MiCVPI
07-29-2013, 07:02 PM
I don't know if you already have these products, but they wouldn't be the products I would use if I was starting over. I have used plenty of #6, but it does stain trim (as do most Meg's LSP's) and is a little bit of an older product. Most members also do not find much utility in using #7 on newer cars (with clearcoat paint). #20 and #21...I believe #20 has more cleaners, akin to #6 but a sealant rather than a wax.

#6 and #205 are used for different purposes, as #6 would be considered an all-in-one (AIO) product, while #205 is a finishing polish.

A common 2-step polishing process would be M105/M205, followed by the LSP of your choice. Both of these are available in small bottles. If you really want an AIO, Meg's D151 would be a better choice IMO (available only by the gallon here at AG), but there are fine products from other mfrs as well, including Optimum GPS or Opti-Seal, Duragloss 501, and many others. You also might consider the Meg's Microfiber DA system, which has a compound and a finishing wax.

I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out which products to start with. I do have the #6 and #7 but that's not a show stopper. I'm all for purchasing new, easier products that do not stain trim. I purchased the M105/M205 combo based on the popularity and success I've read about here. Is this where I should start? Is the M105 too much of a cutting compound for my new car's paint? I'm thinking I do want an AIO for newer vehicles where only i need polish and remove minimal swirls. As I said,I would like to eventually start doing some production detailing, so experience with an AIO would be my preference to start with. Why do you like the D151 over the #6? Does the D151 stain trim? Can I use this with my LC Flat pads?

thank you for your help!:props:

rmagnus
07-29-2013, 07:40 PM
D151 is a time tested product read about it. Will not stain. D151 was designed for production work. Great results and inexpensive.
Meguiars D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-paint-reconditioning-cream-d151.html)

M205 should do the trick polishing up your car (depending on its condition) then you can wax or seal it. There are many very good waxes and sealants out there. Col 845 is a very long lasting wax that has sealant properties, also will not stain trim.

Your LC pads are fine to use. I agree with Sectec you shouldn't need a glaze.

What color is your car? What condition is it in? Can you post some pictures?

MiCVPI
07-29-2013, 09:32 PM
rmagnus: thanks, I think I will try both of those products. Which LC pad do I use for the D151? Did a quick search and they get great reviews on here. Orange or white? I can use my red pad for the Col845 correct?

My brand new car is a deep red metallic like this (scroll down mid page): Meguiars M205 Ultra Finishing Polish, final polish, car polish, M205, Meguires (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html) Paint is clean with minimal swirls, only a couple scratches. Sorry, i don't have any pictures.

My other car is seven years old and has a ton of scratches swirls, scrapes, dents and pretty much every paint blem you can think of. I plan to do a 105/205 with an LSP. No pics of this either yet...

rmagnus
07-29-2013, 11:04 PM
rmagnus: thanks, I think I will try both of those products. Which LC pad do I use for the D151? Did a quick search and they get great reviews on here. Orange or white? I can use my red pad for the Col845 correct?

My brand new car is a deep red metallic like this (scroll down mid page): Meguiars M205 Ultra Finishing Polish, final polish, car polish, M205, Meguires (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html) Paint is clean with minimal swirls, only a couple scratches. Sorry, i don't have any pictures.

My other car is seven years old and has a ton of scratches swirls, scrapes, dents and pretty much every paint blem you can think of. I plan to do a 105/205 with an LSP. No pics of this either yet...

I would go with the white polishing pad and D151 or M205. If you use a more aggressive pad like the LC orange or yellow it will give you more cut. You get the general idea. If you use M205 follow with wax.

On your older car try a more aggressive pad then follow with the white.

Red pad is fine for wax it's what I use and I use a fair amount of Col845. Remember to apply Col845 asa thin as you can. A little goes a veery long way. Prime the pad and 2 or 3 small drops per panel max with your PC.

MiCVPI
07-30-2013, 07:33 AM
I would go with the white polishing pad and D151 or M205. If you use a more aggressive pad like the LC orange or yellow it will give you more cut. You get the general idea. If you use M205 follow with wax.

On your older car try a more aggressive pad then follow with the white.

Red pad is fine for wax it's what I use and I use a fair amount of Col845. Remember to apply Col845 asa thin as you can. A little goes a veery long way. Prime the pad and 2 or 3 small drops per panel max with your PC.

Thanks for your help. Now I just need to spend more money! Looks like the 15% off coupon was extended! lol :doh:

The Guz
07-30-2013, 05:37 PM
These guys gave you good info. If you are still looking for a sealant then go with M21. M20 has some cleaning ability and is more of an all in one. You can't wrong using either one.

inDetail
07-30-2013, 06:10 PM
good old Meg's loving to muddy the waters.

Setec Astronomy
07-30-2013, 06:13 PM
good old Meg's loving to muddy the waters.

Is that it? They just have been in business long enough to have made a lot of products, and they don't always phase out the old ones when they bring in new ones.

Speaking of muddy waters, aren't you the CG buff? If there's any place with muddy water, it's the CG website.