PDA

View Full Version : Using ONR w/ wax leaving scratches

Pages : [1] 2

larryt1026
07-29-2013, 11:15 AM
So am I the only one that had negative results with ONR? I used the ONR with wax one and used a spray bottle with the solution mixed with water and cleaned panel by panel with a bucket/grit guard/sheepskin mitt combo. So I sprayed the area I was going to wash, washed it and dried it. Pretty on par with everything I've researched. I ended up with minuscule scratches all over my paint...the ones you can only see very close to the paint and when the sun is out.

Now I've been just using it with two bucket system and rinsing the car before and after the wash. I have been thinking in order to save time and lessen possible water spots is to:

1. Rinse the whole car (with hose)
2. Spray whole car with ONR mixture (spray bottle)
3. Wash car with 2 bucket system (with ONR)
4. Spray whole car again with ONR mixture (no more rinsing)
5. Dry with microfiber weave towel

What I'm scared of is not rinsing after the wash. I am afraid that while dab drying the car, that it will leave scratches in paint if there were dirt left on the car.

What do you guys think? Thanks!

xJae
07-29-2013, 11:27 AM
my first thought is ONR is typically associated with the Garry Dean method. If you do not know already, youtube "Garry Dean Method" and you'll see (spray, wipe, dry, buff). Also, typically people add a little ONR to their "normal" 2 bucket washes just for more lubricity in their normal washing shampoo.

i think here you've combined things in a way that made you do more work than necessary. IMO, if you're doing the 2 bucket method, stick with a dedicated car shampoo. Or if you want to do a rinseless (1 bucket), try the Garry Dean method.

Good luck.

tchoke
07-29-2013, 11:32 AM
i get scratches all the time there the wash love marks
ive given up i dont think its the onr or my method everytime i touch or look at my paint it just gets the love marks... but thats ok i just polish every 3 mths or so.
my car is infiniti g37 and is well known to have soft soft paint.

FUNX650
07-29-2013, 12:16 PM
@ OP:

Have you ever used any "Rinseless-Wash" products other than Optimum's No Rinse Wash & Wax?

If so...
I'm wondering if they, too, left any scratches.

Bob

Setec Astronomy
07-29-2013, 12:18 PM
I can't even figure out what you're doing, it sounds like some sort of hybrid process.

First tell us how dirty your car is, what you are using for wash media and drying media, etc. and perhaps a bit about your technique (how many panels you are doing before rinsing the media, pressure used, etc.)

c8n
07-29-2013, 12:28 PM
I get the feeling dirty wash/dry media is the culprit.
OP will need to inspect the wash/dry media often and rinse and/or replace it more often.

hellfst
07-29-2013, 01:21 PM
@ OP:

Have you ever used any "Rinseless-Wash" products other than Optimum's No Rinse Wash & Wax?

If so...
I'm wondering if they, too, left any scratches.

Bob
ive used Turtle Wax Rinse Free Wash and Wax and Meguiar's Ultimate wash and wax anywhere. If they don't scratch the paint, they WILL leave it feeling like sand paper. No b/s

FUNX650
07-29-2013, 01:25 PM
ive used Turtle Wax Rinse Free Wash and Wax and Meguiar's Ultimate wash and wax anywhere.
If they don't scratch the paint, they WILL leave it feeling like sand paper. No b/s
That's a result that strays from the norm...Wonder why that is?

:)

Bob

KillaCam
07-29-2013, 01:53 PM
What kind of wash media are you using? Either stick with a traditional two bucket method or stick with rinseless.. No point trying to combine the two.

cleanmycorolla
07-29-2013, 02:11 PM
ive used Turtle Wax Rinse Free Wash and Wax and Meguiar's Ultimate wash and wax anywhere. If they don't scratch the paint, they WILL leave it feeling like sand paper. No b/s

Feed back please

I've used like every waterless and Rinseless ever, never had this issue. Perhaps the car already did feel like crap?

larryt1026
07-29-2013, 02:16 PM
I just watched the Garry Dean method. Maybe my microfibers are dirty...but I do not think it was. I clean them in the washing machine and dry them like all my clothes.

I am basically just wondering if I can rinse the car before performing the no rinse method..just to ensure I get as much debris off as possible. I will be rinsing with hard water..wish I had clean water.

So revised method would be:
1. Rinse car
2. spray ONR
3. wipe with microfiber in ONR solution
4. Dry

And of course it would be panel by panel.

random
07-29-2013, 09:54 PM
I just watched the Garry Dean method. Maybe my microfibers are dirty...but I do not think it was. I clean them in the washing machine and dry them like all my clothes.

I am basically just wondering if I can rinse the car before performing the no rinse method..just to ensure I get as much debris off as possible. I will be rinsing with hard water..wish I had clean water.

So revised method would be:
1. Rinse car
2. spray ONR
3. wipe with microfiber in ONR solution
4. Dry

And of course it would be panel by panel.

If you already start with rinsing the car, why can't you rinse it again after washing it?

In your case, I would definitely check to make sure you wash and dry media/towels/mitts are clean, doesn't have lint or hair stuck to them, etc.

Quiksilver5882
07-29-2013, 09:57 PM
It could be your sheepskin mitt

IID
07-29-2013, 10:06 PM
ONRWW will NOT cause scratches,dirt and/or debris WILL cause scratches.
So will some MF's on soft paint.

Gen9Rolla
07-29-2013, 10:17 PM
/
Are you air drying your microfibers or putting them in the dryer? Sometimes drying microfibers with heat will cause them to lose their effectiveness and cause scratches.