PDA

View Full Version : Opti-lens yellowing after 90 days

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

DaveT435
07-28-2013, 03:33 PM
I'm not saying it's a bad product it could be application issue. Sorry no pics. The only thing I did different from the instruction was using Carpro eraser instead of an IPA. The headlights were polished to like new condition. I used a very thin coat, similar to Opti-coat, and Opti-Glass. Has anyone experienced any thing like this?? Is the Opti-Lens supposed to be applied a little thicker than Opti-Guard and Opti-Glaas. Any input would be appreciated.

Rsurfer
07-28-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm not saying it's a bad product it could be application issue. Sorry no pics. The only thing I did different from the instruction was using Carpro eraser instead of an IPA. The headlights were polished to like new condition. I used a very thin coat, similar to Opti-coat, and Opti-Glass. Has anyone experienced any thing like this?? Is the Opti-Lens supposed to be applied a little thicker than Opti-Guard and Opti-Glaas. Any input would be appreciated.

Did it rainbow before flashing? Did you apply it in a cross hatch pattern? Is the entire lens yellowing on both lights?

DaveT435
07-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Yes I applied using a cross pattern, yes it did rainbow, and yes both lights are yellowing.

DaveT435
07-28-2013, 04:05 PM
The only thing I can think of is something in the eraser stayed on the headlights. I've never had a problem using eraser before Opti-coat or Opti-glass. I just want to try and eliminate any possible causes before I do them again. As a matter of fact it seems like the rainbow stayed for quite some time...

Rsurfer
07-28-2013, 04:14 PM
I used 30% mixture of IPA and no problem so far. Some have claimed that Eraser leaves something behind. The other possibility, is that Eraser did not clean the polishing oils good enough.

DaveT435
07-28-2013, 04:19 PM
I used 30% mixture of IPA and no problem so far. Some have claimed that Eraser leaves something behind. The other possibility, is that Eraser did not clean the polishing oils good enough.

Thanks, that was the only thing I could think of. I have never had any problems before using eraser. I'll polish them out and use an IPA this time.

Rsurfer
07-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Out of curiosity, what polish were you using?

DaveT435
07-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Out of curiosity, what polish were you using?

They weren't that bad because I had done them 6 months before getting the Opti-Lens so I used Optimum Hyper polish. I know it's a big plus to use it before using Opti-Coat, not to mention it's by far my favorite polish.

Rsurfer
07-28-2013, 04:35 PM
They weren't that bad because I had done them 6 months before getting the Opti-Lens so I used Optimum Hyper polish. I know it's a big plus to use it before using Opti-Coat, not to mention it's by far my favorite polish.

Isn't Hyper polish water based..just a damp towel to clean?

DaveT435
07-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Isn't Hyper polish water based..just a damp towel to clean?

Optimum says you can just use a wet towel to clean before Opti-coat, but I prefer to be certain everything is off the paint/plastic.

Rsurfer
07-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Hope it works out for you this time Dave.

90sedan
07-28-2013, 05:12 PM
I did my headlights on my tundra back in April and have not had any yellowing return.

I used eraser as a wipe down.

Rsurfer
07-28-2013, 05:15 PM
I did my headlights on my tundra back in April and have not had any yellowing return.

I used eraser as a wipe down.

What did you use to polish?

90sedan
07-28-2013, 05:20 PM
After wet sanding, polished it out with optimum compound II then finished it with optimum polish II

Rsurfer
07-28-2013, 05:25 PM
After wet sanding, polished it out with optimum compound II then finished it with optimum polish II

Funny that Dave did the same thing and is having yellowing. Dunno