PDA

View Full Version : What I Learned About Optimum Car Wax

swanicyouth
07-28-2013, 10:22 AM
So yesterday I was washing my girlfriend's car. It's a new car, and its seen no other "waxes" but OCW. I waxed it maybe 40 days or so for the first time with OCW.

I thought it was odd at the time that the OCW didn't offer the least bit of streaking. I've used this product before, but its always been finicky for me. I've decided to use it on this car exclusively, due to how quickly it can be applied and the protection it applies.

So, yesterday I applied it again after a 2BM wash. It was outside and fairly hot sunny. This should have be death blow for streaks and haze, but there was none. Its a dark car, so I would have seen it. The paint seemed to drink up the wax like a QD.

I've came to the conclusion, that the "issues" sometimes associated with OCW must be because there are other waxes/sealants below it. The product seemed to work so much better on this car, which has no other LSPs on it.

I think a lot of us (me included) try to use OCW as a "booster" wax, and that's where we run into trouble, because the product is not intended for that. It seems to work perfectly on clean paint, or paint that has had previous applications of OCW.

Incidentally, the OCW was about 1.5 months old or so. Maybe a little less. It was still offering protection, but it had dropped off some.

Marc08EX
07-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Interesting... Thanks for sharing.

What about old or dried out paint? Do you think that could also be an issue? The car being brand new definitely isn't dried out yet.

swanicyouth
07-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Interesting... Thanks for sharing.

What about old or dried out paint? Do you think that could also be an issue? The car being brand new definitely isn't dried out yet.

I'm not sure. It just seemed the product worked so much better when not being used as a "booster" or a "topper" - like a lot of use are trying to use it. As a standalone LSP it works very well with none of the streaking or hazing that is sometimes associated with OCW.

Setec Astronomy
07-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do in the winter when it will be difficult to reapply OCW every 1.5 months? Or are you going to attempt to do that?