PDA

View Full Version : Urine Smell

Gus_Mahn
07-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Here's the story. My brother wanted a newer car, and we're not scared of a little work. I found him a totaled 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco with 18,000 miles for $4000 located at an auction 650 miles from here. It's a perfect project, hit high in the front end, has low miles, and other than the accident damage is very clean. In the pictures, there was a little staining of the drivers butt pad.

He bought it. After $650 in shipping, it's here. It's better than we had hoped. It's mostly a new car other than the accident damage (needs about $3000 in parts and materials), but imagine my horror when the staining turned out to be urine. The car has been sitting in a lot closed for 2-3 months with a pee soaked seat. My brother doesn't really notice the smell, but for me it's unbareable.

We pulled all the seats, and the interior still smells without the source. Were going to vacuum the interior and wipe it down. Obviously we want to eliminate the smell rather than just cover it up. Any suggestions? Ozone? It will be a month or two before the car is finished so we have time.

We are going to disassemble the seats and pressure wash the covers and foam, soak them with vinegar and water and place them in garbage bags for a few hours, pressure wash them again, soak them with a light dish soap peroxide solution, rinse them one last time, and hang them to dry. Does this sound reasonable? We're looking at $500ish for new covers an pads, so I'd rater save them.

bootstrap
07-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Buy a new carpet imo... The thing was so cheap

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Detailing by M
07-28-2013, 10:38 AM
You need to get an "oder encapsulate"
Meg's Odor Eliminator and What Odor has gotten rid of Kitty Kat urine smells for me.
You have to pour this onto the affected area over time until it's gone.
It's a process but one you can do without replacing the carpet/seats.

hernandez.art13
07-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Subscribed

swanicyouth
07-28-2013, 10:49 AM
I'd just go to the pet store and get some stuff for cat pee. They have this stuff, just to remove urine odors from carpets and textiles.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/28/ugyjeret.jpg

I wouldn't use vinegar, because if your sensitive to smells that may not be much better.

hernandez.art13
07-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Makes Sense

Gus_Mahn
07-28-2013, 11:03 AM
I'd just go to the pet store and get some stuff for cat pee. They have this stuff, just to remove urine odors from carpets and textiles.
I wouldn't use vinegar, because if your sensitive to smells that may not be much better.
Thank you for the replies. The vinegar will be rinsed away by pressure washing. Some say you need a baking soda rinse to neutralize the acid. I did a cover this way once on a seat cover that smelled like poop, and was happy with the results. I have read good things about natures miracle. I guess my thought was since the cover is removed, I can flush it with enough water to wash away most of the offending material. That's really not an option with household carpet where NM is commonly used.

greatwhitenorth
07-28-2013, 11:08 AM
My process for this is:
-Spray enzyme liquid over affected area
-Let sit for roughly half an hour to let enzymes break down the organic matter
-hot water extract entire interior
-let dry completely
-ozone interior on and off, 30 mins on, 30 mins off until smell is gone

jgg85234
07-28-2013, 11:10 AM
This product has tons of uses, one of which is to absorb ammonia, which is the source of your urine smell.
MLM Company I used to own came across this product, and it was a hit with everyone. It will get the urine smell out of carpet in your car or your home.

It is just a volcanic rock, and available in many places either as a bag of small rocks, or as a powder. You should be able to find some at a regular hardware store (Ace, True Value, etc.). Probably not Home Depot or Lowe's.

The smells can be released from the rock form by putting it out in the sun. It's then ready to use again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/####/Clinoptilolite (https://en.wikipedia.org/####/Clinoptilolite)

Can't get the link to wikipedia to work. Just replace the #### with w i k i (without spaces).

Product is commonly marketed as "zeolite"

Jim

primo spaghetti
07-28-2013, 06:25 PM
auto vaccine works good...

Gus_Mahn
08-13-2013, 04:20 PM
After playing with the car, I'm sure the pee, and lots of it, was from a small non-shedding dog (there was no hair). We wound up pulling the seats and carpet and pressure washing them. It's unbelievable what came out of them in places. The worst was the rear seat bottom and driver's rear floor. It looked like coffee but wasn't, yuck!!! The good news was that very little had soaked through the foam, and it was easy to wipe up what little was on the floor boards. I can't smell anything but Simple Green on the pieces we washed them rinsed. There is still more smell inside the car than I would like, but it is much better than it started. I plan on spraying everything down heavy with Meguires Odor Eliminator for the next few days. I wonder if ozone treatment with a commercial machine would help. Anybody near Chicago have one they want to rent out?

rmagnus
08-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Don't forget to replace the air conditioner filter otherwise odors will just recirculate. Usually located inside the glove box. Get the ones with a charcoal filter built into it.

Also treat the headliner. You should be able to find an ozone rental just search Google.