PDA

View Full Version : My used Black 335i is black metallic with swirls!

Pages : [1] 2

mrvegas
07-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Yesterday I bought a 2011 BMW 335i with black metallic paint. It has sparkly flecks in it, very pretty, but the previous owner did not care about taking it through automatic car washes or something because the paint has tons of swirls in it.

I want to get it right, at least as right as I can without repainting it. I'm not afraid of hard work, so I would appreciate some how-to tips, steps to take, in order to restore the paint to something nice ... does not have to be perfect, just lots better than it is.

THANKS!

Kevin Cullen
07-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Welcome to the geek! Your car sounds like a good candidate for the Mequiar's twins. This is said with no pictures being posted but as you describe it.

As for tips look into getting Mike's E-book's, that will give you as many tips as you will need. You will need to purchase the correct tools to complete the job but it WILL be worth it.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Welcome to AGO from a fellow Vegas member. Let me know if you would like some hands on...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/63301-review-blackfire-blackice-wax-you-have-been-waiting.html

Marc08EX
07-28-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm assuming that you live in Las Vegas given your name... There are a bunch of info or how-to here in the forum. Mike Phillips has a lot of how-to articles in how to make your paint perfect. This will be a good article to start with:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19994-step-step-how-article-using-pinnacle-products-new-pc-7424xp.html

If you decide to let someone do it, I would highly suggest you bring the car to the poster above, smack AKA Mike. He does amazing work and will make sure your car is perfect. He takes good care of your car like it was his. He also specializes in BMW and has one himself so he knows the in/outs of polishing BMW paint.

swanicyouth
07-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Sounds like your car is Black Sapphire Metallic (BSM), as mine is. A picture would help, but you will need a buffer to get rid of the swirls. Forget repainting, that's not an option or needed.

A good buffer for this type of job would be a Griots Garage 6" or one of the Rupes Bigfoots. Then there is a whole slew of other items you need including pads, polishes, pad cleaner, towels, clay, pad brush, etc...

There is a slight learning curve, but if your still interested it can be done by you.

Detailing by M
07-28-2013, 10:47 AM
These have been a pain to correct for me.
I charge 600 buck to fix these.
The paint is hard and doesn't play well with others.
The last one I did I beet it up with Meguiar's M105/205 on the DAMF System and Flex Polisher.
Worked each section for 20-30 mins.
I took a long time to correct but it comes out really nice.

swanicyouth
07-28-2013, 10:57 AM
I've found the go to polish for BMW BSM is Wolfgang TSR. Adjust your foam pad to the aggressiveness required. I use a PC and a Griots and it pretty much turns out LSP ready. I usually use orange LC pads when going after defects, but have used yellow as well. Keeping the pads clean helps as well.

And believe me, I'm no polishing genius. I only have the experience from doing my two cars over and over.

I have no experience with MF pads, so I can't comment there.

Rayaz
07-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Go see smack. Welcome!

mrvegas
07-28-2013, 02:12 PM
ThAnks all, I actually live in a Washington DC suburb, Vegas is just a nickname. Would like to try myself but don't want to damage my new baby.

mrvegas
07-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Yes, it is BSM!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Would like to try myself but don't want to damage my new baby.

In that case your best bet is to read up on the proper ways to fix the paint and maintain your car.

You cant go wrong with this book.
Mike Phillips’ The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine Paperback Book (http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-create-a-show-car-shine-book.html)

mrvegas
07-28-2013, 05:09 PM
I will read this book, thanks. I have to admit, I am wondering if you guys know of any really solid detailers here in the D.C. area that could tackle this swirl project. Then I could maintain the finish going forward.

Vegas Transplant
07-28-2013, 05:58 PM
What part of the DMV? NOVA, PG, So.MD, etc...
Plenty of AGO members/detailers in the area.

mrvegas
07-28-2013, 07:44 PM
We live in Upper Marlboro

Vegas Transplant
07-28-2013, 11:32 PM
I took the liberty of pm'ing a NOVA AGO member/forum friend with a link to this thread. May be too far as they reside out West of DC.
I have customers off White Horse and Rt4 U.M. and one off 202 near Watkins Park. Currently in SC for the next few weeks myself. Haven't seen Church Rd. in almost 6 weeks.

Maybe you ought to start a new thread if you can't find one on this thread.

Something along the line of: Pro Detailer Wanted Upper Marlboro Md.

Happy detailing...:buffing: