PDA

View Full Version : Waxing/Sealent intervals and reapplication?

Sharks1212
07-28-2013, 01:52 AM
So I was wondering what some of your methods were? I have read about dawn and degreaser soaps being used to strip. I have also read that nothing can strip modern paint sealents. When do you reapply wax/sealent and how do you go about doing so? What are your processes in order, what do you use, and how often?

hernandez.art13
07-28-2013, 02:01 AM
Subscribed

silverfox
07-28-2013, 05:45 AM
My regime is determined by the seasons. I do a full wash, clay, deep clean (paint cleaner with no abrasives), and sealant...in November and April. That means I need a sealant that lasts 6 months. My choice is DG 105. Easily gives me 6 months including taking it through local touchless car washes in winter if I get lazy. It won't hurt 105.

Wax is optional. I'm not a wax fan so I only apply before a car show. Wax creates a dust magnet and as far as I'm concerned that defeats the whole purpose. It's for looks only in my opinion and adds nothing a sealant can do in terms of protection.

Notice I never mentioned polishing. Taking off clear coat is not something I will do at this point. My paint is optically clear with a couple of scratches that aren't noticeable unless you are a contortionist. I've perfected my washing and drying technique. Took years actually. I also no longer " spot clean" between washes. Forget that. I wash once a week or bi monthly and I don't touch the paint in between washes. Trying to keep your paint dust and dirt free on a daily basis is futile and I've learned to just live between washes without the urge to spot clean.

It's all about washing, drying , and adding layers of protection. My DA polisher only comes out to apply a chemical paint cleaner 2x s year just before the sealant. The new DP product looks like a winner. I don't use chemical strippers or soaps to remove sealants. I polish them out with a non abrasive paint cleaner. After six months the sealant isn't going to put up much of a fight, and the paint cleaner restores optically clear paint.

queens guy
07-28-2013, 06:45 AM
I am also new but here is what I have learned from the guys in the forum and this is what I follow. I have a 2011 Nissan Murano and paint is in decent shape with a few scratches here and there.

Here are the steps I take:

I user a Porter Cable polisher and MF / hex pads for all paint and polishing
Paint cleaner
clay
correct paint
polish
sealant
wax

I wash car once a week as well and I also seal it once in the winter around October and then again around April. In between washes the only thing I do is just clean bird poop as soon as I see it.

Here is how I wash car now:

rinse the car down, then I use foamaster foam gun and i foam the whole car. I now wash the tires and rinse the whole car. I use a bucket with grit guard and MF glove. I foam once again and use the glove to wash car very lightly. Finally just rinse car off.

StuDLei
07-29-2013, 01:54 AM
So I was wondering what some of your methods were? I have read about dawn and degreaser soaps being used to strip. I have also read that nothing can strip modern paint sealents. When do you reapply wax/sealent and how do you go about doing so? What are your processes in order, what do you use, and how often?

Why do you want to strip it? Just curious?

StuDLei
07-29-2013, 01:54 AM
I am also new but here is what I have learned from the guys in the forum and this is what I follow. I have a 2011 Nissan Murano and paint is in decent shape with a few scratches here and there.

Paint cleaner
clay
correct paint
polish
sealant
wax

I wash car once a week as well and I also seal it once in the winter around October and then again around April. In between washes the only thing I do is just clean bird poop as soon as I see it.

rinse the car down, then I use foamaster foam gun and i foam the whole car. I now wash the tires and rinse the whole car. I use a bucket with grit guard and MF glove. I foam once again and use the glove to wash car very lightly. Finally just rinse car off.

You use a paint cleaner with a DA before you clay?

cleanmycorolla
07-29-2013, 01:59 AM

Paint cleaner
clay
correct paint
polish
sealant
wax

If youre polishing no need of the paint cleaner before claying and polishing. Wasted step. Polishing with abrasives will remove your sealants.

Paint cleaners ideally are or when you don't need or want to remove paint, but do want to clean it to grin out shine and ensure a good bond for our LSP.

Calendyr
07-29-2013, 02:57 AM
What I will recommend to my clients is this:

If their paint is excellent, I will suggest they apply a coating. Same thing if they ask for a paint correction.

After that, I will suggest a sealant twice a year, just before winter and just after winter. Right now there are 2 products I like, PowerLock and NewFinish. Newfinish lasts longer but it stains trims so it's a pain to apply.

Finally if they want maintenance plans, wax every month and spray wax inbetween if they go do weekly maintenance.

I am a strong believer in the layers of protection approach. With a coating, sealant and wax there is very little that will damage your paint.