PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Collinte 915 durability

Pages : [1] 2 3

99ParkAve
07-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Hey everyone,

I'd like to ask anyone else here if they've had issues with Collinite 915's durability. I'm in love with the fact that Collinite is supposed to last at least four to five mouths, which is a boon to anyone who lives here in the snowbelt. Im the MAN
However, I've had difficulty in getting it to last longer than a couple of weeks, or even to bead well. Here are a couple of photos to show what I mean. As you can see, the beading is weak after only a couple of weeks. My process to the waxing was a follows:

Wash with Meguiar's Gold Class
Clay with Meguair's Clay Kit
Polish with Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish
Wax with Collinite Marqe de Elegance 915

I've tried very hard to get the application of Collinite down pat, but I do understand that it is a touchy process. I used my PC with a grey flat LC pad to apply the 915 and made great strides to get it as thin as possible, though I was under the impression that if I applied it too thick it would only affect removal, not durability. In some cases I could hardly see anything on the car after application, but again I've heard that this is the proper way to apply it.

The only thing that I can think of is that I did not let the wax stand for very long; my practice was to remove it after doing the panel next to the one with drying wax. I know that can affect durability, but I'm curious as to why the beading was not very strong even directly after application. If anyone can give me some pointers or ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Flash Gordon
07-27-2013, 09:23 PM
This is discouraging. I just got a tub of 915 :(

If I were you I would apply by hand

I'm with you. Those beads are WEAK!

JHL88
07-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Wow. IDK what to say about that. I've never used Collinite but dam that does not look good. maybe should've tried 2 coats? Maybe used a paint cleaner/IPA wipedown before wax application would've helped.

jjj
07-27-2013, 09:29 PM
Did you do ipa wipe down. I have never had an issue with the wax. I put it on and it last several months. I did let haze in thin thin coats. If it is to thick its is a PITA!!!

99ParkAve
07-27-2013, 09:37 PM
This is discouraging. I just got a tub of 915 :(

If I were you I would apply by hand

I'm with you. Those beads are WEAK!

Haha, well, my post was not supposed to discourage people from using it!

I did not do an IPA wipe down though I did consider it. I feel that the problem was I didn't let it haze long enough in fear of not being able to remove it easily, but it could have been anything. My joke is that my car is so clean not even wax sticks to it!

Anyway, I appreciate the quick feedback and look forward to more ideas. Maybe when it stops raining around here I'll give it another shot with IPA and longer set times...

99ParkAve
07-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Wow. IDK what to say about that. I've never used Collinite but dam that does not look good. maybe should've tried 2 coats? Maybe used a paint cleaner/IPA wipedown before wax application would've helped.

See, and I used Blackfire's Gloss Enhancing Polish which is essentially a paint cleaner, so that's why I'm puzzled by the wax's performance. Oh well, will have to try that IPA rubdown...

Anyway, I appreciate the quick feedback and look forward to any more ideas!

matryx
07-27-2013, 09:58 PM
I would think that using BF GEP would clean the paint and prep it for wax/sealant.... If you need to do an IPA wipedown I don't see a point in these pre-wax cleanser products that are available.

KillaCam
07-27-2013, 11:28 PM
915 beads don't look like that. Maybe the blackfire polish affected something. I would try an ipa wipedown or clay then apply it again.

SonOfOC
07-27-2013, 11:36 PM
Is that single stage paint?

Lastly, those beads looks like you parked underneath a tree during a rain storm. Rain water off trees will do that.

99ParkAve
07-28-2013, 12:04 AM
Is that single stage paint?

Lastly, those beads looks like you parked underneath a tree during a rain storm. Rain water off trees will do that.

No, it's good 'ol GM clearcoat, but I do park next to a tree patch. I though about that could be causing it but this was after I washed it so I don't think the tree stuff should have affected the wax quality...should it?

SonOfOC
07-28-2013, 01:11 AM
No, it's good 'ol GM clearcoat, but I do park next to a tree patch. I though about that could be causing it but this was after I washed it so I don't think the tree stuff should have affected the wax quality...should it?

915 is real tough to see on white. I suggest you wax half the trunk or hood again. It will be easier for you to see the haze only doing half. Wipe of the wax and check your bead again.

If it works then you can finish the rest the car and not waste anymore time. 915 should give you crazy tight beads.

UglyBetty
07-28-2013, 05:38 AM
That sounds odd, my latest coat of 915 was still bleeding strong after about 3.5 months.

WAXOFF
07-28-2013, 06:59 AM
I've been using Collinite products for over 30 years and those beads aren't Collinite style beads. Maybe you need to clean the paint better before you put it on. I do one panel at a time and have no issues with it. Here's a couple of photos on my White Tiguan and Silver Compass.

silverfox
07-28-2013, 08:25 AM
I think that Blackfire products work best with other BF products. I suspect the BF polish used interfered with the 915. Your paint was essentially not squeaky clean before applying the 915.

BuckeyeR/T
07-29-2013, 06:44 AM
I think it is not reacting well to BF. I have had similar(beading is only good for a couple of months) issues with using BlackLight then 915. #915 beads are the best I have ever seen.