PDA

View Full Version : wool mitt/cobra microfiber swirling paint??

manman
07-27-2013, 06:09 PM
I just found 1 other potential reason my 1st machine polishing experience went so bad last weekend... after polishing (which I definitely had bad technique as well) I washed the car with dawn to strip off the polish streaks easily. It worked like a charm and the car looked great until I got it under some better light and noticed lights swirls pretty much everywhere.

This time I adjusted my technique, checked my results after every step with the brinkman light, and took it slow just practicing on the hood. Once I had the results I wanted, I pulled out the car and washed it with some ONR diluted to rinseless wash + wool mit. here's what I noticed

1) Not sure how that ONR is rinseless, it left stains that looked like cloudy water all over the hood.
2) I tried to dry it quickly using the cobra waffle weave microfiber (mainly just put it down and patted it dry, but I made some small motions with it in some areas once the areas were dry.

I wash using light pressure with the mitt, a little heavier in some spots where the polish residue was (this stuff did almost nothing for the residue). I had to salvage things by using a bunch of quick detailer (also mixed from ONR but at QD ratio) with some soft MFs to get the cloudy staining off, and dry the hood wihtout putting in more scratches. At least that worked and I didn't make it worse...

Although I'm positive my bad technique put swirls in during my first try, I'm sure this also had something to do with it. My car is a Jet Black E46 m3, so it does have soft paint... what can I do to make sure the paint is washed and residue free before doing the sealant/wax if thse products are adding scratches?

Just fyi also, I did clay and got it smooth with the baggy test. Waffle weave was fresh out of the dryer (only with other MFs) and shaken to get anything off of it. Wool mitt has only been used once before and was just washed in water and air dried.

manman
07-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Finally got the light scratches out again. Now I'm deathly afraid to touch this car with any liquid + anything other than the softest MFs I have, haha. The main things that get left over from polishing are- streaks/residue, dust, and tiny microfiber fibers. As much as I dust it with a dry cloth, something always remains behind...

cleanmycorolla
07-27-2013, 08:32 PM
Finally got the light scratches out again. Now I'm deathly afraid to touch this car with any liquid + anything other than the softest MFs I have, haha. The main things that get left over from polishing are- streaks/residue, dust, and tiny microfiber fibers. As much as I dust it with a dry cloth, something always remains behind...

Why are you dusting with a dry cloth? Use some QD or something. Seems to me that would cause some marring. Also, IMO no need to wash the car after polishing, an IPA wipe down or something like it will be just fine. That way you can check your work too.

manman
07-27-2013, 09:32 PM
actually it seems to be the other way around for me somehow... when I say dusting, I don't really mean wiping the dry car down more like fanning it lightly to slide the product dusting off of it.

But even when there's no dust, the minute the IPA mix touches the MF, the streaking is unavoidable. Flip it over to an unused side, and somehow- more polish streaks. And wiping them off sometimes makes scratches, becuase there's 0 friction with it and you have to use some pressure to get htem to come out. Since I started using less product they're definitely way better, but the best way I've tried to avoid them is buffing lightly with a dry really soft MF

Vegas Transplant
07-27-2013, 09:46 PM
actually it seems to be the other way around for me somehow... when I say dusting, I don't really mean wiping the dry car down more like fanning it lightly to slide the product dusting off of it.

But even when there's no dust, the minute the IPA mix touches the MF, the streaking is unavoidable. Flip it over to an unused side, and somehow- more polish streaks. And wiping them off sometimes makes scratches, becuase there's 0 friction with it and you have to use some pressure to get htem to come out. Since I started using less product they're definitely way better, but the best way I've tried to avoid them is buffing lightly with a dry really soft MF
Did you mean 0 lubrication?
Are you working the IPA under the sun?

manman
07-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Did you mean 0 lubrication?
Are you working the IPA under the sun?

Sorry got confused reading your question because of my typo at first... yeah, I did mean 0 lubrication w/ the IPA. maybe it's the nap of MFs I'm using, but unless I Just soak the panel, the MF kind of drags (unlike when using QD) especially if there's polish residue.

Vegas Transplant
07-28-2013, 09:21 AM
sorry got confused reading your question because of my typo at first... Yeah, i did mean 0 lubrication w/ the ipa. Maybe it's the nap of mfs i'm using, but unless i just soak the panel, the mf kind of drags (unlike when using qd) especially if there's polish residue.

Especially post #3 of this thread.

It's the nature of the beast.
Maybe try using a glass cleaner instead of the IPA.
But either way, just as you found out in your previous thread, most towelling marks will be filled by your LSP.

...I didn't see any streaks after the sealant, so maybe that process does clean them up. I was worried I'd be sealing over them, but the paint looks great. I will say that focusing on only one panel at a time did also let me take my time and focus more on my technique. And good motivation since you can see the end of each step right around the corner.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html

manman
07-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks, that was actually the thread I used when I mixed IPA. I was wondering if I should point that out since a lot of people mix IPA at 50/50, so I thought maybe mine wasn't strong enough or something.

I guess you're right though. When I first started I couldn't tell scratches from polish streaks easily, but especially now that I've seen the results after my LSP, I'm more chilled out about them.

Vegas Transplant
07-28-2013, 01:31 PM
I don't see the need for IPA wipedown for work that I do. Seems unnecessary. But then again, I wash the vehicle a second time after compound. I've read many threads on this topic, but always go back to Mike's 2010 post where he states IPA wipedown is working backwards.
As far as using a rinseless, I'd just as soon full wash. I don't realize time savings with rinseless after compound. Time is $$$ since I charge by the job~not by the hour.

Wes Bremec
07-28-2013, 01:57 PM
I never joined the washing after correcting bandwagon. I simply blow all the cracks and crevices with compressed air and do a wipe down using menz top inspection and the plushest microfiber.

manman
07-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Vegas- a rinseless doesn't save you time? I don't mind doing a full wash (I did that the first time I tried all of this), I just didn't think it was necessary since I was only doing the hood. Either way I would have used the wool wash mitt + waffle weave though, and I'm pretty sure it was one of those that introduced swirls after polishing. The towels were all clean, used light/med pressure with the wool mitt, and barely moved the ww when it was touching the paint. Mostly just laid it down and patted dry, but some minor light wiping. I know Jet Black bmw paint is supposed to be soft, but should it swirl that easily?