PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with paste wax

mikesal57
07-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Now I remember why I don't like paste waxes....

I haven't detail my car since I was a kid. For 30 years , its been the automatic car wash.
I've enjoyed all that I learned and done with my car, from washing with the 2BM and using some nice spray on waxes and a sealant.

So what did I do....I bought Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Wax...
It went on nice and smooth.....but a little hard to wipe off
Anyway...it looked great!!!

Now after 3 weeks and numerous downpours and showers here and there..I am starting to see the white paste residue pop up all around the car..
I thought I was careful when I took it off ....but I guess not careful enough :o

Sticking with spray ons from now on....;)

Mike

mikesal57
07-27-2013, 06:33 PM
I guess I'm the only one that had this issue :cry:

Evan.J
07-27-2013, 06:38 PM
When applying any paste wax you need to make sure you apply it very very thin you should barely see a thin film.

You said it was tough so I am assuming that you applied it too thick.

mikesal57
07-27-2013, 07:58 PM
When applying any paste wax you need to make sure you apply it very very thin you should barely see a thin film.

You said it was tough so I am assuming that you applied it too thick.

Thxs...maybe next time I'll try the DA

mwoolfso
07-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Mike

How long did you let the wax set before wiping? What type of towel did you use to wipe the wax off?

99ParkAve
07-27-2013, 08:50 PM
If you have a light color car such as myself, these can hide some of the wax residue that otherwise would have been taken off during buffing. My car is white, and even after extensive wipe downs, I pull it out into the sun and often see places where I've missed. Perhaps this is what happened to you, and the residue is finally drying and turning white as the wax wears off?

I've found that Meguiar's Gold Class wax looks great but doesn't last a great while, and that sometimes it dusts up. Don't worry too much, as paste waxes have a slight learning curve; even I'm asking a question about Collinite paste wax tonight, and I have been detailing for several years!

inDetail
07-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Meg's gold class is not that great of a wax. IMO. The only Megs wax I find reasonable to work with is NXT liquid. Your dealing with filler residue showing up stuck on your paint. That is what is called dusting up. It's dried filler is the wax. A good wax may be stubborn to buff out but it should not leave filler residue behind.
I would pick up some Collinite wax. Reasonable prices and great quality. A great buy for little money is Chemical Guys XXX Hardcore paste wax easy on easy off and a steal at what you are paying for it.
If you want good liquid wax Collinite 845 is great. Another reasonable price. High longevity as well.

Flash Gordon
07-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Now I remember why I don't like paste waxes....

I haven't detail my car since I was a kid. For 30 years , its been the automatic car wash.
I've enjoyed all that I learned and done with my car, from washing with the 2BM and using some nice spray on waxes and a sealant.

So what did I do....I bought Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Wax...
Anyway...it looked great!!!

Now after 3 weeks and numerous downpours and showers here and there..I am starting to see the white paste residue pop up all around the car..
I thought I was careful when I took it off ....but I guess not careful enough :o

Sticking with spray ons from now on....;)

Mike

I understand your frustration. I applied a paste wax to thick today and it hazed on me like crazy

Detailing products have come along ways in the past 30 years. Glad you are content with a quality spray wax

mikesal57
07-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Thxs guys....

I have a black car and I wanted to see how a carnauba would look on it...

I am planning on the 845 before winter comes to NYC

Mike

Flash Gordon
07-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Thxs guys....

I have a black car and I wanted to see how a carnauba would look on it...

I am planning on the 845 before winter comes to NYC

Mike

When you apply your wax, start in the center of whatever panel you are working on and work outwards. This should help you keep from getting wax in the cracks

Is there any other color then black?

:D

mikesal57
07-28-2013, 04:52 PM
When you apply your wax, start in the center of whatever panel you are working on and work outwards. This should help you keep from getting wax in the cracks

Is there any other color then black?

:D

good tip....thxs