PDA

View Full Version : Mixing your stuff

clarkgriswald
07-27-2013, 05:47 AM
I just got a new truck and just got some optimum products and I was wondering how you guys mix your products. Do you dilute your products right in a spray bottle or do you mix them in a quart cup and then poor them in a bottle?

ScottB
07-27-2013, 05:54 AM
Are you talking about using ONR as a clay lube, detail spray, or rinseless wash ??? If so, always add the water first. If you add the chemical and then water at any pressure or speed you will likely get some foam which could skew the measurements.

Now if you really want to mix up some creations of your own (ie. like super detailing sprays) then consider Polycharger.

clarkgriswald
07-27-2013, 06:04 AM
Whatever the product your using I guess I am asking if you just mix everything in a spray bottle or do you measure the concentrate and water out first in separate containers and then poor both in the spray bottle. Sorry if that is confusing.

Helltopay
07-27-2013, 06:19 AM
The spray bottles I use have measurement marks for various dilution levels on the side, so I just mix the bottle. I get a little foaming as I add the distilled water, but not so much that it has made me want to think of going through the extra step of mixing in a different container. I, however, only detail my cars. If I was having to mix product more frequently, I think I would mix larger quantities at a time and do so in separate containers.

inDetail
07-27-2013, 06:38 AM
There is a link at the end of this reply for. It's a ratio calculator that a fine detailer here shared with me.
I usually do not buy "detailer" or chemical resistant bottles all the time. They are expensive and I'm really paranoid about spray heads failing and wasting good money even if they come with a warranty. I have a lot of spray bottles collected over time. I have at least 6 recycled Chemical Guys bottles that have been going strong for years. I know which ones are reliable so I fill them with a couple drops of dawn, 2 tablespoons of IPA and fill it with hot water. Spray the bottle a few times to get the solution into the spray head. Let sit over night and rinse well and let dry.
I use a p-touch to label what is in each bottle. Saves me lots of money. I do have a few chemical resistant I purchased from a local detailer supply company that sells retail to the public. They are cheap but I only buy them when I happen to need one. They are good one's and have lasted.
Last note. Mix your chemicals with distilled water only. It's the closest thing to pure water as you can get. It has no mineral deposits that can hinder the integrity of your products or damage any surfaces in a car. 88 cents at Walmart for water. Below is the calculator.

Enviro-One Dilution Calculator (http://www.enviro-one.com/calculator.asp)

erichaley
07-27-2013, 07:30 AM
That dilution calculator is awesome, I use it all the time!

When mixing your product, put the water in the bottle first, then add your concentrate.

erichaley
07-27-2013, 11:46 AM
FYI, I had previously created my own version of the Enviro-One dilution calculator (I'm a software/web developer). If AG is interested in having this on their site or forum, I'd be happy to oblige! I think people could really get a lot of use out of it.

birdog
07-27-2013, 01:04 PM
FYI, I had previously created my own version of the Enviro-One dilution calculator (I'm a software/web developer). If AG is interested in having this on their site or forum, I'd be happy to oblige! I think people could really get a lot of use out of it.

How about a phone app??

erichaley
07-27-2013, 02:34 PM
That could be a possibility too, though I don't currently have the ability to do a native iOS app. A developer account is a requirement. I'd be happy to work with someone though. For Windows Phone and Android it shouldn't be an issue.

A web app would be no problem, but I'd imagine most would want the ability to work offline.

I think a cool bonus feature would be to allow people to select a product and see the dilution ratio(s).

clarkgriswald
07-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies back. I have another noob question. How do you measure products in the spray bottle with the ratio on the side. I guess what I am asking is how do the dilution charts work on the bottle? If its 10:1 how do you measure that?

inDetail
07-27-2013, 06:27 PM
just use the calculator. You have a 16 ounce empty bottle. The directions on said product says dilute 3:1 that's 4oz of product and 12 ounces of distilled water. ( Most bottles and pyrex will use ounces some have ml's or both.) For argument sake domestic products will be in ounces and most likely imported products will be in ml's. But they have US to Euro conversion calc's online just google them. It's just an extra step.
I never use the ratio lines on a bottle too much of a hassle. I use the calc all the time. You find yourself sometimes with only said amount of concentrate left so you measure that out in a pyrex measuring cup get how many ounces I have left open the calculator boom add this much water. Done. Then write a note on the lid of my laptop don't forget to order more of this idiot.

Calendyr
08-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies back. I have another noob question. How do you measure products in the spray bottle with the ratio on the side. I guess what I am asking is how do the dilution charts work on the bottle? If its 10:1 how do you measure that?

It's pretty easy. Let's say you have a product that needs to be diluted 5:1

You fill the bottle with the concentrate to the 5:1 line and fill the rest of the bottle with water.

Some products do make some foam, if someone has a trick to avoid it I would be happy to read it. What I do is I fill very slowly at an angle, it's not perfect but it reduces the foaming effect.

I will try the calculator but I was thinking of simply making a chart for all the popular ratios and printing it.

Right now I use the technique Roshan posted about using the 1 gallon of distilled water, removing the needed amount of water and filling with the product. It works well but I don't like having to do math everytime I mix. I guess I could make a chart for that too ;)