PDA

View Full Version : Is sanding bad for headlights?

Pages : [1] 2

miniSguy
07-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Is sanding bad for headlights? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/68143-sanding-bad-headlights.html)

I've been learning to do work on headlights by wet sanding and compound followed by UV protectant. I have been getting great results. However, I ran across this on a search and it got me wondering if I am messing up the headlights.

THE TRUTH ABOUT HEADLIGHT CLEANERS | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/gds/THE-TRUTH-ABOUT-HEADLIGHT-CLEANERS/10000000000945494/g.html)

Is this info correct or hype?

Thanks!

thebamboo23
07-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Didnt read anything.. looks like someone is just trying to advertise their product as being the "best on the market"

800-1000-1500-2500-3000-compound-polish-optilens= winner

Detailing by M
07-26-2013, 05:53 PM
OMG. they say to use tooth paste!
I'm out!

Stupid stuff.

When you sand the UV off you replace it.
When you sand plastic you polish it.

The only thing I know of that will actually destroy Acrylic is ISA.

Don't listen to this kind of crap. You obviously know what your doing so why even ask.

Setec Astronomy
07-26-2013, 05:56 PM
OMG. they say to use tooth paste!
I'm out!

Toothpaste was actually the old-school thing to use on acrylic.

rmagnus
07-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Toothpaste was actually the old-school thing to use on acrylic.

+1 tootpaste does in fact work. Is it the best abrasive generally no but yea it works.

The ebayer said If it comes in a can, tube, cream, paste, or powder it is not non abrasive. Non abrasives are pure liquid. This flat out isn't correct but he is trying to say sanding the lens removes the UV protection and it has to be replaced. Commonsense says we knew that.

OP just keep on doing what you're doing. He's selling what he thinks is a better mouse trap.

Setec Astronomy
07-26-2013, 06:32 PM
+1 tootpaste does in fact work. Is it the best abrasive generally no but yea it works.

I was saying that was for acrylic, what we used to call Lucite. Headlights are polycarbonate/Lexan, I dunno if that makes a difference as far as polishing the bare plastic, but knowing how hard it is to sand off oxidized UV coating, I know toothpaste isn't going to do much to it.

ScottB
07-26-2013, 06:48 PM
I know that deep polishing will indeed remove any UV coating and lenses will get cloudy quite quickly without adding some protection. I have not heard the absolute best product to protect afterwards however ....

Rsurfer
07-26-2013, 06:56 PM
I know that deep polishing will indeed remove any UV coating and lenses will get cloudy quite quickly without adding some protection. I have not heard the absolute best product to protect afterwards however ....

What about Opti Lens Scott? Absolutely the best product for protection.:xyxthumbs:

miniSguy
07-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Figured I'd get this sorted out here.

ScottB
07-26-2013, 09:02 PM
What about Opti Lens Scott? Absolutely the best product for protection.:xyxthumbs:

haven't used it nor seen it in any long term results. I do have faith in Dr. G however. I have heard mixed results with Opti-coat and Spar Urethane. If this is the product, then great !!

Rsurfer
07-26-2013, 09:14 PM
haven't used it nor seen it in any long term results. I do have faith in Dr. G however. I have heard mixed results with Opti-coat and Spar Urethane. If this is the product, then great !!
Like you, I have a lot of faith in Dr. G. Opti Lens was made for headlights and you can use it on exterior plastics. Little pricey, but if it works it's worth it. I'm tired of wet sanding my lights and using sealants that yellow after a few months.

ScottB
07-27-2013, 05:41 AM
Like you, I have a lot of faith in Dr. G. Opti Lens was made for headlights and you can use it on exterior plastics. Little pricey, but if it works it's worth it. I'm tired of wet sanding my lights and using sealants that yellow after a few months.

I'll try to secure some for a test, my friend Ernie just got the Megs polishing kit for some real faded Honda headlamps. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction. :props:

Mike Phillips
09-18-2013, 01:06 PM
I've been learning to do work on headlights by wet sanding and compound followed by UV protectant. I have been getting great results. However, I ran across this on a search and it got me wondering if I am messing up the headlights.

THE TRUTH ABOUT HEADLIGHT CLEANERS | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/gds/THE-TRUTH-ABOUT-HEADLIGHT-CLEANERS/10000000000945494/g.html)

Is this info correct or hype?

Thanks!

Hi miniSguy,

Did some searching and found you're attending my upcoming detailing class. Looking forward to meeting you.

I also researched the product you referenced and here's the nutshell deal...

Some plastic headlights come with a protective coating over the lens that is functionally a part of the plastic. As time goes by and this coating degrades it looks somewhat like clear coat failure on a car. That is the coating starts to break down and come off and the headlight looks like it has a rash.

No application of a single liquid is going to undo this type of degradation.

When a headlight does suffer this type of damage the ONLY cure is to wetsand all of the coating off and get down to a clear base of plastic. From there you can polish any sanding marks out of the plastic and then seal the plastic with some form of sealant.

Here's the BIG PICTURE

Everything plastic when exposed to the outdoors driving environment breaks down over time. The best thing you can do is pro-actively maintain a surface be it paint, plastic, chrome, etc.

We'll be restoring some headlights at the class on the Tahoe and I'll try to find a few more cars with bad headlights we can work on too...

:)

cplchris
09-18-2013, 01:41 PM
the best fix i have ever seen/used for headlights was made by sem but it does require a uv lamp to cure, and the prep work is extremely important.

miniSguy
09-19-2013, 04:01 AM
Thanks, Mike. I'm really excited about class. I have a lot to learn.