PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Glaze vs. Paintwork Polish Enhancer?

Inzane
07-25-2013, 04:43 PM
I have to admit I'm a tad confused with these two products (Finishing Glaze and Paintwork Polish Enhancer), neither of which I have tried yet.

I rarely see these two products mentioned together and I don't think I've seen them bundled together either. I've definitely seen FG bundled with TSR 3.0 (the "twins") and I've seen PPE bundled with DGPS 3.0.

When would you use one vs. the other? Am i right that FG has some cut and essentially no fillers, and PPE has no cut and some fillers? Is that the essential difference right there?

Would you ever use BOTH before DGPS? (Or even potentially FOUR steps: TSR 3.0, FG, PPE, and then DGPS 3.0?)

Would I be right thinking Finishing Glaze is similar to something like PB's SSR1.0 or Menz FPII? And PPE is like a Meg's #7 or a P21S Paintwork cleanser? Which is a more direction comparison to an AIO like Klasse AIO? The reason I ask THAT question is KAIO is what I used as my base when I applied DGPS 3.0 to my car recently. My curiosity on the WG product line has me wondering what there is to gain if anything using FG or PPE before DGPS application instead.

PS - Is "Pre-Wax" or "Paintwork" Polish Enhancer the new name. I've come across both titles, but I'm fairly certain they are referring to the exact same product.

Thanks!

Setec Astronomy
07-25-2013, 04:46 PM
When would you use one vs. the other? Am i right that FG has some cut and essentially no fillers, and PPE has no cut and some fillers? Is that the essential difference right there?

Yes.

Would you ever use BOTH before DGPS? (Or even potentially FOUR steps: TSR 3.0, FG, PPE, and then DGPS 3.0?)

No, I wouldn't.

highroller
07-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Wow. I thought of asking this myself but never ended up asking.
Mike please chip in.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwoolfso
07-25-2013, 07:11 PM
When you do not need to compound or polish the paint you would use a pre-wax cleaner; which is the least cut type of "polish" that is out there. Some PWC's have fillers and some do not, and in general they are made to simply clean the paint of any impurities and contamination. There is no paint or clear loss.

Inzane
07-26-2013, 09:59 AM
I did a little more reading on PPE and found this post from Mike in his review of PPE:

...Paintwork Polish Enhancer is a light paint cleaner for primarily prepping paint in good to excellent shape for application of wax or sealant.

So you would,

Wash
Clay (if needed)
PPE
Wax or Sealant
As soon as you stepped up to the TSR and the FG, you no longer need the PPE as the multi-step approach will remove swirls and polish the paint to a high gloss perfectly preparing it for wax or sealant.

A multi-step process with the above would look like this,

Wash
Clay (if needed)
TSR
FG
Wax or Sealant

:)

So that makes it pretty clear. It's an EITHER/OR scenario. That makes sense.

swanicyouth
07-26-2013, 10:27 AM
The difference is simple, but a bit muddled in all the copy:

WG Finishing Glaze (FG): has abrasives

WG Paintwork Polish Enhancer (PPE): has no abrasives

FG is a diminishing abrasive "polish" similar to Menzerna SF 4000, PPE is a paint cleaner similar to P21S Paint Cleaner.

I like FG a lot, especially after Total Swirl Remover. I recently used PPE for the first time and did not like it at all. There could be a few reasons for that. It could be because I was using it with a DA (most paint cleaners just seem to work better by hand for me) or it could have been the ungodly high heat and humidity at the time.

If your looking for a "paint prep" product to use just to prep paint that is in very good condition for a new LSP, I would recommend Prima Amigo. I've tried several of these types of products and I always get the best results with Amigo.

Not to mention Amigo is so easy to use. It disappears in clear nothingness, so you really don't have to worry too much about taping up, etc... It just works great by hand or by machine.

bcwang
07-26-2013, 10:36 AM
I thought there was mention that WG finishing glaze left behind some polishing oils, causing some filling to happen. If so it sounds like using PPE afterwards could be beneficial to a better sealant/wax bond? Though PPE says it has fillers even though its a paint cleaner....I don't know if that would also reduce maximum bonding. Confusing...

Inzane
07-26-2013, 10:57 AM
I need to weigh my curiosity on trying something new, vs. sticking with what I'm already doing and "works" (that is, KAIO + WGDGPS).

Is there any reason to think I'm not getting maximum bonding of the sealant by cleaning/prepping with KAIO?