PDA

View Full Version : Swirl X + Klasse Twins?

JRizzo
07-25-2013, 10:30 AM
I bought a 2001 white Jetta, with minor swirls. However, since the car is white they are hard to see. The car is my daily driver, so I'm not looking for show room quality. Primarily I want it clean and sealed so that I can WD40 off the the many bugs I acquire on my commute and followup with the quick detailer that comes in the Meg's kit to protect my sealant.

My plan was to Wash > Clay > Swirl X (by hand) > Klasse Twins.

When should I apply Swirl X, and will it work effectively by hand?

Note: I have heard Swirl X only hides marks. True or false? If, true the AIO would likely wipe off the concealer.

JRizzo
07-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Bump. I need to make my order on Amazon tonight.

Setec Astronomy
07-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Swirl-X will remove marks, but you're not going to get very far by hand. If it were me I'd just skip the Swirl-X and save my arms for the Klasse twins.

I'm also pretty sure that regular use of WD-40 is going to remove your sealant. Why not use the QD to remove the bugs?

JRizzo
07-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Swirl-X will remove marks, but you're not going to get very far by hand. If it were me I'd just skip the Swirl-X and save my arms for the Klasse twins.

I'm also pretty sure that regular use of WD-40 is going to remove your sealant. Why not use the QD to remove the bugs?

Thanks for the response!

The swirls I have are very minor, so minor that I hardly care. You can't see them in this Texas, and like I said, this is my commuter. It has minor body damage so I'm not going to worry about having perfect paint. In that sense, I was hoping the twins would do some minor correction. So if the Swirl X isn't going to do much more by hand, then I'll skip and save the money.

As far as WD-40, I read it's better than buying a bug/tar remover and that you can just use a spray wax to clean up after wiping it off. Will it really remove my glaze? This is actually why I looked into the twins, so I could deal with bugs without harming my paint.

Setec Astronomy
07-25-2013, 04:14 PM
I don't know who you are buying from on Amazon, but Autogeek sells at least a couple of dedicated bug removers that are supposed to be gentle on your LSP, one from Poorboy's, and one from Detailer's Pro.

JRizzo
07-25-2013, 04:20 PM
I don't know who you are buying from on Amazon, but Autogeek sells at least a couple of dedicated bug removers that are supposed to be gentle on your LSP, one from Poorboy's, and one from Detailer's Pro.

I currently have a cart with the Klasse Twins, Megs microfiber wash mit, clay bar kit, hi tech and even coat applicators, microfiber cloths, a mothers wheel brush for $64. Not knocking the site, but Autogeek charges a good 20% more than Walmart/Amazon for the same products, not including shipping.

Setec Astronomy
07-25-2013, 04:28 PM
You've gotta learn how to buy during sales...

JRizzo
07-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Yeah they have good deals at times. There are some good combos right now.

That bug squash sounds good. I may look into it. I'm assuming the easy to find brands won't be as gentle, so I may just use my clay kit for the bugs. I've read that Meg's quick detailer is great for bugs. Unfortunately mine are currently a month caked on, so I will probably hot towel them prior to wash and use the quick detailer weekly in the future.

Will the WD-40 really be that offensive?

Setec Astronomy
07-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Will the WD-40 really be that offensive?

IMO it will remove your LSP.

JRizzo
07-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Yeah, the more I read, the more cautious I feel about it. Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it. For now I will purchase my cart, wet towl the caked bugs, and use the quick detailer and clay in the future. If I require something stronger I will purchase the bug squash.

Setec Astronomy
07-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Are you aware that AG's sister store, Autopia Car Care is having a 15% off/free shipping over $75 right now? Might be able to have your bug squash...er, cake, and eat it too.

JRizzo
07-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Are you aware that AG's sister store, Autopia Car Care is having a 15% off/free shipping over $75 right now? Might be able to have your bug squash...er, cake, and eat it too.

Amazon is $0.50 to $2 cheaper per product shipped.