PDA

View Full Version : Doing a car that hasn't been washed in years...

jamesalanb
07-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Morning Geeks. Next weekend I am stealing my Mom's 02 Corolla from her and hooking that car up like it has never seen before. (in all honesty that'd only require a thorough wash) It sits outside all day, she only drives a few times a week. The car is silver, well, kinda silver since it sits under a tree and doesn't get washed... I don't plan to purchase much more than what I have to do this for her since I know the care conditions won't change. My biggest concern before claying is to achieve the best clean possible without having a pressure washer available. I've done a lot of research and corrected my car, but it was in good shape to start. Ultimately, I'm trying to ask the pros if they have additional input with what I have available. The following is my typical products and then my "plan of attack" I don't have pics yet, so think of a silver car with years old etchings, pollens, water spots, and tree droppings...

Megs GC wash, ONRWW, D103+, mothers back to black, megs MF corection kit, WG swirl remover, Megs UP, Fine cut cleaner M02, Griots MP3, Griots clay and lube, DP coating prep polish (on the way) DP paint coating, Megs M21, Megs ULW, D156, Fuzion, Megs glass cleaner and of course a ton of towels and a number of pads

Pressure hose at local car wash
mothers B2B in tires, 103+ on wells and hubcaps
Two bucket (or is it necessary since its so bad already?) with a mix of Megs GC wash and a bit of D103+ to strip the build up of junk off.
Clay
I am thinking of testing the DA MF kit first to see how that does, or from what I describe should I start with the UC and orange or yellow ccs pad (no oxidation present, just layers of crap) I know to go least aggressive first in the test area.
If need be now, I'll use WGSR
DP prep polish
DP coat
With what I have available would you all recommend anything different than what I'm thinking? I know pics would paint a better picture, but that's not possible right now. I know the Megs ULW and M21 2.0 holds up, but with the DP coating boasting such longevity I'm leaning in that direction as LSP.
I'm prob forgetting a few things but I'm typing at work, trying to keep my head in the right place! :work:

Setec Astronomy
07-25-2013, 09:24 AM
That sounds good, as far as MF DA kit or foam, that's your call, I love the Meg's MF system tho. I wish I had a few of these projects to do, help me use up all my old supplies.

jamesalanb
07-25-2013, 09:50 AM
I've gone overboard with purchasing products. I only do mine and wife's cars regularly, but I saw my moms the other day and almost shed a tear, partially because I haven't done it for her sooner. I'll have to start doing friends cars just to pay for my addiction!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

GenesisCoupe
07-25-2013, 10:12 AM
That car will need a nice "clay job" to make the paint smooth again. Good luck!

jamesalanb
07-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I can't lie, I'm not looking particularly forward to all Tue cat and prep work just so it can sit under a maple tree, but hey it's for mom. Hopefully my technique and product line up will eliminate the need for luck?

TundraPower
07-25-2013, 02:21 PM
P21S Total Auto Wash full strength from a foam lance, rinse, repeat, etc. Then Auto Finesse Iron Out, rinse, repeat, etc.

Major time savers!

jamesalanb
07-25-2013, 02:49 PM
You anywhere near Louisville so I can borrow that foam lance and attachments?

cardaddy
07-25-2013, 03:59 PM
You've got some nice stuff to start out there with. I might add, that the one thing I waited on that I wish I had earlier (after I tried it) was the Nanoskin pad. Simply AMAZING to have it do the work it does. My clay will now last forever because I just don't use it anywhere unless the pad won't reach.

Klasse Act
07-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Maybe use some Alien Kleen after the claying, sounds like you've got your work cut out for you, good luck!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online