PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning/protecting windshield wipers

Pages : [1] 2 3

Radarryan
07-25-2013, 02:58 AM
So I want to preface this by saying my car has never seen the rain, at least not yet! The only water she has seen is from the hose or, when she's been really good, distilled water :)

This evening I decided to pull up the wipers and see if they're clean... They were not. They were filthy! The gunk just poured off into my microfiber rag (not even high enough quality to be called towels). I was thinking about cleaning them with IPA until no more black stuff comes off, then protecting/nurturing the rubber with something.

What is the best process to clean and then protect windshield wipers? Clean with IPA, APC, water? Protect with Opti-Bond, 303, something with silicone, WD40? I've heard so many different things I just wanted to get some clarification. Should I even be concerned that all the black gunk came off? Maybe it's supposed to be there, but I always thought that means it's dirty... Hmm, I guess I need:

Feed back please

Happy detailing!

beamerstrumpet
07-25-2013, 03:52 AM
Change 'em rubber that is soft like that will always degrade. I wipe them a few good times and if they are not gator skinned and still push water, keep ,, if not,, change them.

Radarryan
07-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Change 'em rubber that is soft like that will always degrade. I wipe them a few good times and if they are not gator skinned and still push water, keep ,, if not,, change them.

I've never used them in the rain. I just sprayed the hose on it today to make sure they worked and they are great! Perfect, clear glass. Just wanting to know how to clean/protect so I don't have to change as often.

Setec Astronomy
07-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Like any rubber like that, the UV (and maybe even ozone) exposure will oxidize them. There may have been dirt that came off but I'd wager some of it was oxidized rubber.

Clean them with your choice of IPA, APC, window cleaner, car wash, it really doesn't matter. 303 used to make a specific wiper product (a wet sponge that came in a foil packet) but I don't think they make that anymore. Knowing 303 it was just the regular aerospace protectant in a sponge (rather than some special wiper product). So if you have 303 just wipe some of that on, let it soak in, then make sure to wipe off the excess so they aren't greasy.

XSSIVE
07-25-2013, 03:55 PM
I've always had good luck just spraying some glass cleaner on a junk MF towel or paper shop towel that won't lint or tear apart and pinching the blade with the towel between my fingers and running it up and down a few times. Never tried any type of dressing or protectant on them though.

inDetail
07-25-2013, 07:34 PM
I wipe down with IPA. Spray some silicone on a rag and wipe them down. I'm not looking to protect them just clean them and condition the rubber and make it slippery

Old Tiger
07-25-2013, 07:46 PM
CarPro Eraser to clean. CarPro PERL to protect. PERL has obsoleted conventional polymer UV inhibitors for me!

Rsurfer
07-25-2013, 08:50 PM
303 Windshield Wiper Treatment
Reconditions hardening rubber windshield wiper blades 303 Wiper Treatment Stops Annoying Chattering, Skipping and Streaking!

By reconditioning hardening rubber blades. 303 Wiper Treatment restores lost flexibility and performance. 303 Wiper Treatment Keeps Wiper Blades Working Like New.

~ See Better - Drive Safer with 303 Wiper Treatment ~

Each 303 Wiper Treatment packet contains a sponge applicator. Wipe on, wait a minute and wipe dry. Nothing could be easier. Each packet will treat 2-3 wiper blades. Reapply as necessary, usually every 3-5 weeks.

And In Winter ... SNOW AND ICE WILL NOT STICK TO TREATED BLADES! And wiper blades conditioned with 303 Wiper Treatment will not freeze to the windshield overnight.

A winter must. Each packet treats 2-3 blades.

Box of six packets.

Radarryan
07-25-2013, 08:57 PM
303 Windshield Wiper Treatment
Reconditions hardening rubber windshield wiper blades 303 Wiper Treatment Stops Annoying Chattering, Skipping and Streaking!

Where can I find this? Doesn't look like AG sells it...

Setec Astronomy
07-25-2013, 08:59 PM

I don't think they make it anymore.

Mach1USMC
07-25-2013, 09:40 PM
I seal/wax my windshield specifically so I don't have to use wipers!!

mfrickman
07-25-2013, 09:43 PM

Pretty sure I read somewhere it was just an applicator soaked in regular 303 and sold as a kit. No difference between the actual product and the wiper kit. If there was any difference, it was the dilution of the product.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

POWERMAN_
07-25-2013, 10:09 PM
I seal/wax my windshield specifically so I don't have to use wipers!!

Best tip so far.

But @OP, I always wipe the blades down with the Mitt I use for washing the car.

Funny thing is despite not using them as often, I always find some black residue coming off during my weekly wash.

Mach1USMC
07-25-2013, 10:16 PM
But @OP, I always wipe the blades down with the Mitt I use for washing the car.

Funny thing is despite not using them as often, I always find some black residue coming off during my weekly wash.

Same here - I still wipe them down but I only use them maybe twice a month or so.

beamerstrumpet
07-26-2013, 03:35 AM
I really am not trying to be rude, I find it funny that a guy with such a nice Porsche and babies it so much is having a hard time spending money on new wipers but will go buy a chemical product to put on them. wiper blades are a consumable item on a car. Just like oil. I said earlier wipe them a few good times and if they are not gator skinned and still push water, KEEP ,, if not,, change them. I can bet you will pull black at least 8 times or more. My cars have no garage, I wipe the blades once in a while. If they start talking to me (thub thub thub or cant move the water,,, well redundant redundant :) )