PDA

View Full Version : To clay or not?

birdog
07-24-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm planning on compounding and polishing my wife's suburban '05 model . My question is, since I'm going to compound (M105) won't the compound remove any impurities imbedded in the paint prior to polishing (M205)?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AG Online

theblob640
07-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Yes, it will, but it will also stick with the pad and if something was hard that got stuck on it, it will be grinding against your paint that whole correcting session.

tdekany
07-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Always clay.

Christopher.Brown
07-24-2013, 02:13 PM
If you question it: take the 30-45 min and do it.

Topical contamination removal will actually Reveal everything you will be dealing with ONCE you start testing seections for the proper pad/compound combo

have fun! :dblthumb2:

Wheelzntoys
07-24-2013, 02:16 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/65640-what-if-i-did-compound-no-clay.html

Mike Phillips
07-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Actually, if you're using foam pads, because foam pads, especially on any type of DUAL ACTION polisher are gentle to the paint, at least compared to a wool pad on a rotary buffer, the foam will tend to glide over above surface contaminants, not abrade or kick them off.

I have tested this many times. That is, buff a section without claying and then clay the section and surprise! Contaminants can be felt and come off onto clay.

This is why I aways type,

Claying is the more effective way to remove above surface bonded contaminants.

Key word, being effective. Of course there are other "mechanical" means to decontaminate paint which are also effective, but the point is, don't bank on a foam pad removing all the contaminants, it might remove some, but claying or using some other mechanical means of decontaminating the paint is the most effective method to ensure a smooth surface before compounding or polishing.

As a rule... you

Wash and dry
Remove above surface bonded contaminants
Remove below surface defects
Seal the paint

What kind of tool are you using?
What kind of pads?

:)

T3 AutoDetails
07-24-2013, 02:37 PM
If your going to polish then you will want to clay to get as much possible contamination off the surface to prep and make the paint more acceptable to your 205/LSP. You will notice a day and night difference just in the clay step if you do/don't with M205 than your sealant or wax.

FUNX650
07-24-2013, 03:18 PM
I will perform the: 'To Clay; Or Not To Clay' "baggie test"...more often than not:
Immediately after the washing/drying session.

Provides a proper purview: Pre-polishing.
At least for me it does, I will add.

Bob

birdog
07-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Actually, if you're using foam pads, because foam pads, especially on any type of DUAL ACTION polisher are gentle to the paint, at least compared to a wool pad on a rotary buffer, the foam will tend to glide over above surface contaminants, not abrade or kick them off.

I have tested this many times. That is, buff a section without claying and then clay the section and surprise! Contaminants can be felt and come off onto clay.

This is why I aways type,

Claying is the more effective way to remove above surface bonded contaminants.

Key word, being effective. Of course there are other "mechanical" means to decontaminate paint which are also effective, but the point is, don't bank on a foam pad removing all the contaminants, it might remove some, but claying or using some other mechanical means of decontaminating the paint is the most effective method to ensure a smooth surface before compounding or polishing.

As a rule... you

Wash and dry
Remove above surface bonded contaminants
Remove below surface defects
Seal the paint
What kind of tool are you using?
What kind of pads?

I just bought a new PC 7346SP and am planning on using LC CCS 5.5" Yellow or Orange for compound and Green or Blue for polishing? Do you recommend something else? This is my first correction.

Rsurfer
07-24-2013, 07:06 PM
I just bought a new PC 7346SP and am planning on using LC CCS 5.5" Yellow or Orange for compound and Green or Blue for polishing? Do you recommend something else? This is my first correction.

Yeah, use clay first.