PDA

View Full Version : New Car, New Regime

SimpleDetailer
07-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Good morning folks,
I've recently purchased a 2014 Liquid Silver CX-5 and am going to try a different paint maintenance routine than I used on my 2007 TorRed Charger. I'm meticulous about vehicle maintenance, inside and out, I'm also really active on Bob is The Oil Guy for the mechanical aspects of vehicle care. If any of you are into that side as well I strongly suggest you check out the site.

Back to my inquiry. The CX-5 is my daily driver and will never be entered into any kind of competition or show. I also don't plan on buying boutique car care products online. I simply can't justify the increased cost, therefore, the products I've been looking at are the ones that are locally available.

Every 6 months:
Step 1- Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover (when needed)
Step 2- Meg's Ultimate Wash and Wax or Mothers Carnuba Wash and Wax
Step 3- Nanoskin
Step 4- Meg's Ultimate Paste Wax
Step 5- Meg's Ultimate Black (exterior trim)
Tires & Wheels- Diluted Simple Green (not sure if safe for clear coated wheels though?)

Maintenance, twice a month:
Step 3- Meg's Ultimate Quik Detailer
Step 4- Meg's Ultimate Black (exterior trim)
Tires & Wheels- Diluted Simple Green (not sure if safe for clear coated wheels though?)

I think this is a decent approach to a long and healthy finish which balances cost with performance. Just wanted to see what the longtime detailers thought of this and if there were any suggestions to be made.

Thanks in advance.

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2013, 10:35 AM
I also don't plan on buying boutique car care products online. I simply can't justify the increased cost, therefore, the products I've been looking at are the ones that are locally available.

I'm not sure how much enthusiasm you're going to generate with that stance, but we'll try and support your approach.

What you suggest probably puts you ahead of 98% of the car owners out there, but it falls a little short of what we'd do here. Do you live in a temperate climate where you can maintain this regimen year-round?

Also, I think you'd be doing a favor by changing out your Maintenance Step 3 with Meg's Ultimate Quick Wax.

SimpleDetailer
07-23-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure how much enthusiasm you're going to generate with that stance, but we'll try and support your approach.

What you suggest probably puts you ahead of 98% of the car owners out there, but it falls a little short of what we'd do here. Do you live in a temperate climate where you can maintain this regimen year-round?

Also, I think you'd be doing a favor by changing out your Maintenance Step 3 with Meg's Ultimate Quick Wax.

Yes, I understand I'm definitely going against the grain according to the overwhelming majority of board members. As far as climate goes, yes I live somewhere that isn't absolutely horrible in winter so I'll be able to wash during the cold months. However, if I do the 6 month washes in November and May I'll be able to prep for winter and decontaminate from winter

Flash Gordon
07-23-2013, 10:55 AM
If you wait for online sales you can get boutique products for OTC Autozone prices

eff
07-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Sounds like you have a good plan in place.

From everything I have read... I would do something like this:

-wash
-clay or nanoskin
-two coats of Collinite wax (pick your flavor) The 845 is easy to apply, but the 476s is suppose to be a little more durable. I've got the 845 on my truck now and nothing seems to phase it. It's really good wax.

Then you can follow up with routine car washes and a spay wax to boost protection.

Rick72
08-31-2013, 06:11 AM
How's the car looking ?

Eric@CherryOnTop
08-31-2013, 07:33 AM
Good morning folks,
I've recently purchased a 2014 Liquid Silver CX-5 and am going to try a different paint maintenance routine than I used on my 2007 TorRed Charger. I'm meticulous about vehicle maintenance, inside and out, I'm also really active on Bob is The Oil Guy for the mechanical aspects of vehicle care. If any of you are into that side as well I strongly suggest you check out the site.

Back to my inquiry. The CX-5 is my daily driver and will never be entered into any kind of competition or show. I also don't plan on buying boutique car care products online. I simply can't justify the increased cost, therefore, the products I've been looking at are the ones that are locally available.

Every 6 months:
Step 3- Nanoskin
Step 4- Meg's Ultimate Paste Wax
Step 5- Meg's Ultimate Black (exterior trim)

Maintenance, twice a month:
Step 3- Meg's Ultimate Quik Detailer
Step 4- Meg's Ultimate Black (exterior trim)

I think this is a decent approach to a long and healthy finish which balances cost with performance. Just wanted to see what the longtime detailers thought of this and if there were any suggestions to be made.

Thanks in advance.

I'm having a hard time understanding why you would come on a site sponsored by a company that sells nothing BUT boutique car care products, say you don't want to use those products because they're too expensive, and that you will use what you can get OTC to maintain your car... :confused:

Will your car look good with what you've laid out? Probably, as long as you manage not to instill swirls in the paint while you're doing it. Are you looking for professionals and serious enthusiasts to tell you that the OTC will be "good enough" for you? I would think if you are as meticulous as you say you are then you would have an interest in products and techniques that are superior to what can be found on the parts store shelves. :rant:

Klasse Act
08-31-2013, 07:57 AM
Why would you need to use a bug and tar remover TWICE A MONTH? Once a good layer of wax is laid down your ride will clean up easily. It was already mentioned about Meg's Ultimate Spray Wax, maybe go ahead and use that once a month inbetween waxes, I would atleast.

As far as "boutique waxes" go, sure there's an amount of that here, but there's also good value here as well....check out Collinite #845 or #476 for instance, not to mention Duragloss products, found here as well as Carquests (most of them anyways) Duragloss #111 is under $10.00, same with #101 and the others are slightly above that but what you get with Duragloss and Collinite are world class products for not a lot of money. Its obvious what the "boutique waxes" are, just skip over em' and find something that fits your budget, its all here on AG!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online