PDA

View Full Version : Interior cleaning issue

monty007
07-23-2013, 05:41 AM
Hi, I have a car that is about 10 years old, the interior is in good condition except the gear knob which was dirty and had makeup on it. I cleaned it with a soft brush and meguiars trim cleaner.
It came up perfect but once dry it turned white which seemed to be like it had a film on it. I have tried to re clean it and still this white film returns.
Hope you can help.
Thanks.

ken tuep
07-23-2013, 07:11 AM
It might have pulled all the oils out of the plastic, making it extremely dry looking. I'm always cautious when using apc on interiors.

I would see if scrubbing with plain water and a Terry cloth will remove any, if its residue. If its the part has seen better days, I'd look into replacement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

inDetail
07-23-2013, 07:16 AM
I use low strength APC on bad interiors. Purple Power 20:1( I use it on everything around the house and on my work clothes and never had a problem.) and OPC 3:1. The OPC is my go to. It cleans just about everything.
Light soiled interiors I wipe everything down with a damp MF cloth. Spot clean with APC if needed then I finish off with GD IUDJ

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2013, 07:33 AM
I cleaned it with a soft brush and meguiars trim cleaner.

Can you be a little more specific about what product that is? And what material is the shift knob made of, is it leather or plastic or wood?

Flash Gordon
07-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Gotta be very careful with shift knobs and steering wheels. The coating is already thin enough from everyday use

monty007
07-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Can you be a little more specific about what product that is? And what material is the shift knob made of, is it leather or plastic or wood?

Hi, it was Meguiars Cloth and Trim cleaner and the gear knob was plastic.

Thanks for the reply's.

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Hi, it was Meguiars Cloth and Trim cleaner and the gear knob was plastic.

Oh, I see you're down under. That must be a product we don't get here, sorry.

beamerstrumpet
07-23-2013, 05:32 PM
As Ken said, I would just replace it. Gear knobs are pretty cheep. Chances are you can find a nicer one,,
I dont know what they go for down under, but other than that, maybe try some megs interrior gloss spray to maybe refeed the plastic or at least coat it.

Kevin Cullen
07-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Sounds like the cleaner dried out the plastic. You could try some 303 Aerospace Protectant, CarPro PERL, or Ultima interior guard.

Sfoster
07-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Put some leather conditioner on it see if that helps

Sent from my XT907 using AG Online

monty007
07-24-2013, 03:31 AM
Sounds like the cleaner dried out the plastic. You could try some 303 Aerospace Protectant, CarPro PERL, or Ultima interior guard.

Thanks for all the reply's, I think you are correct Kevin it looks like it has dried out the plastic. I will try the suggestions mentioned and see if it helps.
Thanks.

If anyone is interested these are the products available down under. NEW PRODUCTS | Meguiar's (http://www.meguiars.com.au/new-products/)