PDA

View Full Version : DA Polisher-> Wax application?

POWERMAN_
07-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Hello All.

My apologies if I come across as someone who's here just coz google couldnt pull up the answer I was looking for.

I do browse around here occasionally, but usually stick to car specific forums.

Anyways, here's to hoping one of you could point me in the right direction..

So the other day I was talking about wax/sealant application with a colleague of mine.

He mentioned that for all the metal panels of the car, he uses the porter cable with non-abrasive pad to apply his choice of sealant / wax.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/porter-cable-7424-xp-polisher.jpg

For areas like the bumpers and such, he applies it by hand (the old fashioned way).

Apparently the paint on the bumpers are applied differently in comparison to the metal panels, and are most sensitive to heat, abrasion etc etc.

Is this true?

How many of you use a machine to apply waxes / sealants on all the panels of a car?

ihaveacamaro
07-22-2013, 11:19 PM
You can use a machine to wax all of your car, just use a red pad.

af90
07-22-2013, 11:20 PM
I've never heard of that. Now bumpers are made of plastic and dissipate heat differently than metal panels. But at the speeds you're using a machine with a wax or sealant (2 or 3) and zero pressure, plus not staying over an area for an extended amount of time. You're just spreading product, I've never had an issue applying wax or sealants by machine on any panels.

I prefer using a machine, you use less product, more even coverage and takes less time.

mpkav
07-22-2013, 11:26 PM
I use the Porter Cable for every area of my truck. I believe its pretty difficult to have heat issues with a DA. If used correctly they are an easy tool to use!! I should have gotten mine years ago!!

POWERMAN_
07-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the response Guys!!

Much Appreciated!:caflag:

I'm using a porter cable 7274 kit with Lake country pads (the black finishing one) (http://www.eshine.ca/1porter_cable_7424xp_swirl_buster_kit_55_pads-3185.php?cat=27)

Btw, Shout out to Roshan from Camaro5/Youtube : p
Huge Fan!

ihaveacamaro
07-23-2013, 12:07 AM

I'm using a porter cable 7274 kit with Lake country pads (the black finishing one) (http://www.eshine.ca/1porter_cable_7424xp_swirl_buster_kit_55_pads-3185.php?cat=27)

Huge Fan!

You should come onto this site more often for your detailing questions.

I'm a novice compared to loads of people on here :D

Vegas Transplant
07-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Hello All...

..For areas like the bumpers and such, he applies it by hand (the old fashioned way).

Apparently the paint on the bumpers are applied differently in comparison to the metal panels, and are most sensitive to heat, abrasion etc etc.

Is this true?

How many of you use a machine to apply waxes / sealants on all the panels of a car?
Old fashioned hand application of wax/sealant when it comes to painted bumpers, grill surrounds, scallops, etc... just seems quicker to me and more exacting.

mikesal57
07-23-2013, 06:10 AM

Huge Fan!

You could have gotten a better deal with some nice polishes from AutoGeek!!!

BillE
07-23-2013, 06:58 AM
I use 'the DA' to wax everything. Fast, thin coats are oh so easy to accomplish. Granted, in those hard to reach areas I do have to hand apply. Usually just taking the pad off the DA and using what is left in the pad is just enough to finish.

I do use different pads depending on the 'softness' of the paint. Like on a Subaru=black. White paints=red.

Bill

POWERMAN_
07-23-2013, 07:50 AM
You could have gotten a better deal with some nice polishes from AutoGeek!!!

You could very well be right!
But Canadian sites give us free shipping if we cross $150.

As much as I love buying from places like these (better options/choices), shipping would kill me, especially for the amount I buy at a time :(

POWERMAN_
07-23-2013, 07:51 AM
I use 'the DA' to wax everything. Fast, thin coats are oh so easy to accomplish. Granted, in those hard to reach areas I do have to hand apply. Usually just taking the pad off the DA and using what is left in the pad is just enough to finish.

I do use different pads depending on the 'softness' of the paint. Like on a Subaru=black. White paints=red.

Bill

Thank you.
Are these pads from Lake country as well?
Will have to look into these.

BillE
07-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Thank you.
Are these pads from Lake country as well?
Will have to look into these.

Yup...

Bill

ChrisJ
07-23-2013, 08:10 AM
I use a red or black pad

kimtyson
07-23-2013, 09:46 AM
Welcome to the forum! (Now you're hooked. lol)
The great thing about a DA (i.e. Porter Cable) is that it is virtually impossible to damage your finish. If you have any concerns, just turn the speed down when applying (wax, in this case) and it won't create as much friction\heat. The truth is that you can have a Porter Cable on the top speed setting and it won't hurt anything. I have one.

POWERMAN_
07-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Thank you @all once again.

Sure is re-assuring hearing this from the experts!

^_^