PDA

View Full Version : Convertible top protectant streaking

Radarryan
07-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Let me preface this by saying I tried to research this subject before posting a new thread but I came up short. Apologies if it has been asked/answered multiple times.

So a couple days ago I decided I was going to clean and protect my 911's black soft top. I started by washing the top with Porsche branded cabriolet cleaner (which is probably glorified fabric/car wash shampoo) and a wool wash mitt (a sponge or mitt was recommended and I didn't have a sponge that I trusted on the top so that's why I went with the mitt).

After a thorough washing, I rinsed the top and ensured that the fabric was no longer beading. I've watched Mike's videos for caring for tops and tried to follow it exactly. I pulled the car into the garage and blotted the top dry with a waffle weave microfiber towel. Then I left it for about an hour or so and then went back to tape off all the paint, trim, and glass with 3M blue painter's tape and newspaper.

I then had to wait a couple more hours to ensure that the top was "bone dry". Then I pulled out the Porsche-branded cabriolet top protectant, which I thought was just re-packaged Raggtop, but was surprised to find that it was manufactured in Germany. Maybe this is made specifically for the Porsche top...

Anyways, the directions said to apply a thin layer, with two layers over the seams so naturally I decided on three layers over the whole top (pretty much the whole bottle) with a couple hours in between coats. By the time came around to apply the first coat, it was dark outside so I was relying on the garage light. I then went over the whole top with a tape roller (used for animal hair) to ensure that all the dust and towel remnants were removed and the surface was perfect. I applied the first layer, following Mike's technique, with it going a bit heavier over the seams. I then repeated this two more times. After the first coat, I noticed that it went on with a slight white streak, but that it faded by the time it came for the second. After the third coat, it was 2am and I decided it was time to go sleep.

Porsche says to apply the protectant to a cool, dry top, away from the sun which is why I decided it would be okay to apply it at night. The next morning, I noticed white streaks over top, especially in the areas near and on the seams where I was probably too heavy on the spray (this is my first convertible so I know there is undoubtedly a learning curve. We can't all be Mike!)

I then pulled the car out into the sun to get a better look at my "mistakes" and try to come up with a game-plan with how I would get it out: would I wash, brush, re-protect, go to the dealership and plead for them to take care of it? I then started talking to a neighbor for a few minutes when I asked him to comment on my streaks. To my amazement, they were disappearing before my eyes - it seems like the sun was allowing the excess protectant to be absorbed into the fabric of the top!

My question to everyone is, A) have you experienced this happening with other fabric top protectants such as Raggtop, 303, or "specific brand" protectants B) what do you think the cause was? User error or the contents of the can (did it need the sun regardless of if I applied to heavily or just did one coat vs. 3) and C) what should I do in the future? Continue using the Porsche branded protectant? Go with 303? Raggtop (they really want you to remember they're endorsed by Haartz) Apply less layers? Apply more layers? Wait a day between coat? Wait an hour? Wait a minute?

Thanks for everyone's input! Sorry for no pictures, I didn't know this would be an issue until after I was completed. Oh well, thanks to you all, there won't be a mess up next time. Happy Detailing!

Shtexas
07-21-2013, 11:26 PM
I had the same thing happen when I treated the top on a 645 I had a few years ago. I used a bmw product before I knew about 303. For me it happened from not allowing enough time for the product to "set" before applying another coat. No harm. I did notice that when I used thin coats and allowed ample time between them, that the water repelling lasted longer.

RMM
07-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Was the Porsche protectant in an aerosol can?
If it was, then I think it is this product rebranded for Porsche:
A1 Soft Top Proofer - Dr. O.K. Wack Chemie GmbH Online Shop (http://www.wackchem.com/a1-soft-top-proofer/a1-soft-top-proofer.html)
You can e-mail the Company and tell them what your concerns are.

Shtexas
07-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Was the Porsche protectant in an aerosol can?
If it was, then I think it is this product rebranded for Porsche:
A1 Soft Top Proofer - Dr. O.K. Wack Chemie GmbH Online Shop (http://www.wackchem.com/a1-soft-top-proofer/a1-soft-top-proofer.html)
You can e-mail the Company and tell them what your concerns are.

They make very good products. Their products include the p21s. I use mostly products from their line when I'm in Germany for a few months every year.

Flash Gordon
07-22-2013, 09:46 AM
I always park the car in direct sunlight after applying

I bet the stains will go away in a few days