PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat Failure Question

NickBlaine
07-21-2013, 12:00 PM
My father has a 2000 Dodge Intrepid, 250k miles. Drives it about 120 miles a day round-trip to work and back.

The clear coat is starting to fail on the roof of the car, in several spots. The front end is hammered with rock chips, etc.

Would it be OK to use a light polish over these areas, just to enhance what gloss is left, and prep the surface for say OptiCoat? Would a coating like this help prevent further clear coat failure?

Obviously I am not trying to get the car looking magnificent, but I would like to get something on there to protect what is left of the paint, and keep it from looking so dull.

Thanks

Nicholas

eff
07-21-2013, 12:35 PM
I had a 2000 Dodge truck and the clear coat failed on it. I wonder if they had some issues that year or if their paints/clears just don't hold up. I traded the truck in before I came across this site. I know others will chime in, but I am sure you could polish and wax your dads car to help restore and protect it from further damage.

hernandez.art13
07-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Subscribed

hernandez.art13
07-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Would Opti Coat be able to be applied to paint as well, where the CC has already failed?

I polished my ladies car that had a significant amount of CC failure and it did bring out some shine. I just wax what is left with Collinite 476s

William D.
07-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Hi there,

Waxing/sealing does seem to make a difference in how rapidly the clearcoat de-laminates.

I kept my old '94 Town Car washed and waxed religiously, but the clearcoat slowly started to fail. When I sold it (1/13), the trunk, hood, and roof still had about 60-75% of the clear left on it.

The folks I sold it to haven't done anything to protect it, now I'm buying it back (for a buck, bwahaha), and after just 6 months, the roof and trunk have very little clear left on them, and the hood is down to maybe 40% left.

Maybe I'll try the $50 Rustoleum paint job on it, see how it looks...