PDA

View Full Version : help me out?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ironsurvivor
07-20-2013, 10:55 PM
I recently got a new 2013 mustang in black. And I've worked to keep it clean. I got a Porter cable 7424xp because I noticed slight swirls (probably from not using grit guards, which I now use) I used a meguiars yellow pad with m205 for correction about a month ago and it polished it beautifully but I couldn't tell you if I removed anything or not. Well since I'm noticing swirls now and have learned a lot in that time. I tried again with the same products in a test spot and didn't notice much difference. So I was going to buy pinnacle advanced swirl remover and finishing polish and try that out with an orange ccs pad and then the finish polish with the white ccs pad. I'm just scared that I will wear the clear coat down too much. Could you please put some of my worries to rest? Im not going to be doing this often if i can really correct it this time.

Robbiek
07-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Get m105 with orange pad then m205 with white I really like this combo I also use hex logic pads never tied mf pads yet. m105 I would only use it one time on a car you can also buy a paint gauge meter that will tell you how much you are working with. Also make sure you are drying in a correct way that is just as important as washing.

ironsurvivor
07-21-2013, 12:11 AM
drying ive been using an electric leaf blower to get the majority of water off then get the rest off with a meguiars waffle weave.

A-train
07-21-2013, 12:37 AM
All valid points, but I don't think the OP is going to need 105 for minor swirling. Since its best to go with the least aggressive product and you said that its just minor wash swirls on a new vehicle I would look at your polishing technique. M205 is perfectly capable of removing those type defects.
Once you do your text spot, remove any excess oils with eraser or an ipa wipedown. Then check your work with a brinkman light or pull it out into the direct sun.

ironsurvivor
07-21-2013, 12:40 AM
Tomorrow i will try to capture a picture of what im dealing with and see if that would help.

A-train
07-21-2013, 01:14 AM
That sounds good. Pics are always helpful.

Christopher.Brown
07-21-2013, 08:01 AM
can we see the area(s) in question??

i completely agree, M205 should be fine for light swirls.

If the car is new and has never had a full decontamination i suggest doing an Iron_X treatment to remove any metal particles that may have become embedded int he paint job from transport.

how much pressure are you applying?
what pad are you using?
how much product.... are you wet polishing? meaning when you finish do you still see the product spreading on the paints surface?

Christopher.Brown
07-21-2013, 08:08 AM
after re-reading i didnt see the pad type mentioned:

if youre using a polishing pad there will be no aggressive abrasion to help level the clear coat

ironsurvivor
07-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Sorry i didnt atactch a picture guys. I was busy most of the day and then plasti dipped my wheels. I thought the meguiars yellow pad had a slight cut? Am i mistaken? Anyway i was going to buy some orange, white, and red LC CCS pads. First try the white and if that doesn't give the results i want then i'll go to the orange. Or should i just skip the white and go straight to the orange?

HateSwirls
07-21-2013, 09:49 PM
Being the car is new the Ultimate Compound might be the way to go.
It's very close to the 105 in a sense of correction but gives you a little more working time.
Then follow up with the 205.

ironsurvivor
07-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Sorry guys. Washing car soon and ill post pics of the damage and hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.

ironsurvivor
07-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Sun is down and i dont have any big lights to really show damage. I'll have to wait till the morning to get a picture (sorry again) HateSwirls (nice username lol) that is what i am leaning towards. I already have ultimate compound. So should i use LC orange pad with UC then M205 with white LC pad?

ironsurvivor
07-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Ok, sorry for the delay guys, but there ya go!

c8n
07-25-2013, 08:23 PM
I think meg yellow pad cuts slightly better than lc ccs orange.

inDetail
07-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Run a test spot first see which combo you like. Test the lightest cut combo. From those pics it seems you don't need much correction. Even if it takes you multiple passes to correct it with the least aggressive combo use that. You can polish paint off but once it's gone it's gone.