PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845 over Meg's UW?

kuji
07-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Hey guys. As you know I am a big fan of the Megs Ultimate line, but I have been considering trying out Collinite 845 on my Crown Vic. I like the duribilty factor but I have heard that it doesn't make darker colors 'wet' which is what I am trying to achieve. What I want to do it do a full paint correction, clay, compound, and polish. Then what I want to do is put a layer of Meg's Ultimate Wax to bring out the deep wet look, then apply a layer of Collinite 845 to increase durability and longetivity. I want to paint to look as deep as possible, and have the best protection.
Is this possible or no? Would it be better just to skip the wax and go straight to the 845? Or should I just forgo 845 altogether and stick with UW?
This is what my wash and correction routine is going to be.

Megs Ultimate Wash and Wax
Clay Bar
Megs Ultimate Compound
Megs Pure Polish
Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax
Collinite 845

Also would using UQD and UQW be a problem on 845?

Thanks guys
Phil

Meticulous-Detail
07-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Hey guys. As you know I am a big fan of the Megs Ultimate line, but I have been considering trying out Collinite 845 on my Crown Vic. I like the duribilty factor but I have heard that it doesn't make darker colors 'wet' which is what I am trying to achieve. What I want to do it do a full paint correction, clay, compound, and polish. Then what I want to do is put a layer of Meg's Ultimate Wax to bring out the deep wet look, then apply a layer of Collinite 845 to increase durability and longetivity. I want to paint to look as deep as possible, and have the best protection.
Is this possible or no? Would it be better just to skip the wax and go straight to the 845? Or should I just forgo 845 altogether and stick with UW?
This is what my wash and correction routine is going to be.

Megs Ultimate Wash and Wax
Clay Bar
Megs Ultimate Compound
Megs Pure Polish
Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax
Collinite 845

Also would using UQD and UQW be a problem on 845?

Thanks guys
Phil

Megs ULW is really a sealant and 845 is a hybrid sealant/wax. If it was my car I would do the following:

Skip UWW and use dawn instead to strip the paint in prep for clay
Clay
UC
UP
2 coats of ULW or 2 coats of 845

The wet look you are going for is going to come from UP not the ULW or 845. I never tried ULW , only UPW, but 845 is pretty awesome in the protection department.

"The prep makes the pop"

The Guz
07-20-2013, 09:22 PM
If you are looking to stay with Meg's ultimate line do as above and use 2 coats. You could also use ultimate quick wax in between to boost the ULW.

kuji
07-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Good point, your right using dish soap would be a better idea instead of UWW I was planning on doing that anyway I don't know why I put down UWW. After the dish soap I could do an IPA wipedown if I wanted to no?

Is it possible to apply Megs UQW overtop of 845 or is that pretty pointless? Like if I was wanting to do a wax to get the paint extra shiny could I do a quick wax or should i just stick to a QD?

Only reason I am considering 845 is for the longetivity, nothing else, plus UW seems to fade on me pretty quick, even with boosts of UQW etc.

Cheers
Phil

The Guz
07-20-2013, 11:17 PM
You could do a quick wax over it. I have never used Collinite 845 so I can't help you out there. But you could try doing UW followed by Collinite 845 on a test spot to see if it has the look you are going for. Another meg's favorite is M26 if you want to try that as well. It's not as durable as Collinite 845 but it is supposed to do wonders on a dark colored car.

Meticulous-Detail
07-21-2013, 06:54 AM
Good point, your right using dish soap would be a better idea instead of UWW I was planning on doing that anyway I don't know why I put down UWW. After the dish soap I could do an IPA wipedown if I wanted to no?

Is it possible to apply Megs UQW overtop of 845 or is that pretty pointless? Like if I was wanting to do a wax to get the paint extra shiny could I do a quick wax or should i just stick to a QD?

Only reason I am considering 845 is for the longetivity, nothing else, plus UW seems to fade on me pretty quick, even with boosts of UQW etc.

Cheers
Phil

You do the IPA wipe down after the polishing step. This ensures the polishing oils have been removed so the sealant/wax/coating bonds to the paint better.

If ULW fades quickly on you then I would go 2 coats of 845. I have had 845 last 6 months for me on my personal vehicles. To boost protection after 845, use UQW or D156, it brings back the shine and warmth.

This is my current method of protection on 2 of my personal cars.

kuji
07-21-2013, 03:14 PM
I got another question, can I apply the 845 and then use a DA to apply ULW overtop? I am seriously considering picking up a PC 7424xp, which will make my life a heck of a lot easier, so what I would do is a layer of 845 will the PC, then a layer of ULW. Is this possible or will the finish streak. Would I be better off to use the ULW by hand?
I really want to try out the 845 and if I can get the 845 and UW to work together, to me that would be a winning finish.

Cheers
Phil

poko
07-21-2013, 10:36 PM
I love 845 it is a great wax by itself but I always top it with paste nuba wax. I do it by hand, though I have a DA, so I do not know it is good or not to apply liquid wax with DA...
It should be good to add another wax over 845, and maintaining the shine, you use QD, or QD and UQW, because to use UQW you must remove all the dust before UQW. Remove dusts by QD, normally it brings back shine. If you want, follow with UQW. This is what I am doing.:)