PDA

View Full Version : Combining Pads with Products to remove swirls

Pages : [1] 2

MendhamCarSpa
07-20-2013, 03:31 PM
I have a DA polisher (PC7424xp) with a blue soft polish pad, a green polish pad and an orange medium cut pad. I have a compound (that doesn't feel gritty whatsoever) and a cleaner-wax that says it removes swirls.. It seems like no matter what combo of pad or product I use, I still end up with tiny tiny tiny swirls! What is the technique to use? because I was sold these two products from a detailing store, from a professional who said they will absolutely work.. I MUST be doing something wrong.. maybe wrong RPM? Wrong speed? Please help!

Pureshine
07-20-2013, 03:42 PM
What compounds do you have?
What speed are you compounding at?

swanicyouth
07-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Its hard to say, because you aren't mentioning the products you are using. It could be product, technique, or a combination of both.

If they are some type of no name compounds, if you could post a picture someone could recommend some products AG sells that will help.

Do you think the problem is the polish not finishing well, or the polish not touching the original defects?

MendhamCarSpa
07-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses.. sorry for not getting back to you quickly!

Pureshine: I've tried many speeds but I found that to get the swirls to a minimum I need to keep it on 6, and lower the pressure after a few passes... maybe i should lower the rpm too, to remove the final tiny swirls? could that work? I've never tried it.

Swanci: I find that keeping the surface of the car "wet" with the compound is most effective at cutting, otherwise i feel that the pad is simply scratching the surface... but if i put too much compound on it dries onto the pad and the pad gets a coat of dry, hard compound on it! (can I use water to rinse it off and then return to polishing?) Anyways.... The compound does in fact get the scratches out very well but it always leaves swirls.. you know, normal swirls that aren't too bad but in the bright sun, they are BAD!

My Products:
Malco Body Shop System Heavy Duty Compound Tru-Grit Tru-Gritâ„¢ Heavy-Duty Compound (http://www.malcoautomotive.com/Tru_Grit__Heavy_Duty_Compound-details.aspx)
Malco Amplifier cleaner-polish-wax
Amplifier Cleaner-Polish-Wax (http://www.malcoautomotive.com/Amplifier_Cleaner_Polish_Wax-details.aspx)

(And just to try them out, but I did not use these today nor do i ever use them much anyways, but i do find that they are effective... yet leave swirls similar to the Tru-Grit above)
Turtle Wax Polishing Compound & Scratch Remover (which is very similar in texture and result as the Malco Tru-Grit)
Turtle Wax heavy duty compound

Pads:
Orange Cut
Green Polish
Blue Soft Polish

Speed used: 6

It seems if I use too little compound, the swirls start appearing everywhere from the pad! (IT seems like i need overly generous amounts of compound for it to work! Then my pad gets caked on compound all over it!)

AutowerxDetailing
07-20-2013, 09:38 PM
It sounds like you are seeing micro-marring from the compounds you are using. These are defects imparted by the abrasive particles in the compound itself and will need to be removed with a better quality finishing polish and a softer polishing pad.

When finishing your compounding cycle, slow down to speed 5 or 4 and lighten up the pressure. This will mitigate SOME of the micro-marring you are experiencing. Then step down to a finishing polish and you should be golden.

Eric@CherryOnTop
07-21-2013, 07:45 AM
I've never heard of those products but if they use diminishing abrasives you might not be working them long enough to let the abrasives break down enough to remove the marring. How many section passes are you doing?

Sent from my Transformer using AG Online

Setec Astronomy
07-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Its hard to say, because you aren't mentioning the products you are using. It could be product, technique, or a combination of both.

He also didn't say what kind of paint he's working on...but see below!

My Products:
Malco Body Shop System Heavy Duty Compound Tru-Grit Tru-Gritâ„¢ Heavy-Duty Compound (http://www.malcoautomotive.com/Tru_Grit__Heavy_Duty_Compound-details.aspx)
Malco Amplifier cleaner-polish-wax
Amplifier Cleaner-Polish-Wax (http://www.malcoautomotive.com/Amplifier_Cleaner_Polish_Wax-details.aspx)

(And just to try them out, but I did not use these today nor do i ever use them much anyways, but i do find that they are effective... yet leave swirls similar to the Tru-Grit above)
Turtle Wax Polishing Compound & Scratch Remover (which is very similar in texture and result as the Malco Tru-Grit)
Turtle Wax heavy duty compound

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!

You have a very nice website and I presume you work on some very nice cars given the area...BUT THOSE PRODUCTS ARE DEFINITELY YOUR PROBLEM!!

It sounds like you are seeing micro-marring from the compounds you are using. These are defects imparted by the abrasive particles in the compound itself and will need to be removed with a better quality finishing polish and a softer polishing pad.

This ^

We are trying to get a local meet together: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/67504-new-jersey-meet-up.html?highlight=Meet , it might really help to meet and shoot the breeze with some other detailers. Barring that, you need to get some better products. If you don't want to order M105/M205, at least go to Wal-Mart or Target or a chain auto parts store and get some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish, that is going to be 10 times better than that junk you are using.

You might also consider the Meguiar's DA MF system, since you are currently finishing with a cleaner wax. If you stay with the foam pads, it sounds like you only have 3 of them...you need more of each grade, etc.

Christopher.Brown
07-21-2013, 08:16 AM
Listing the TYPE of pads you are using would assist others to help you...

ALSO, performing a 10% IPA wipedown between compounds and polishes will help to remove ALL of the residue from the previous process. In this way you eliminate the change of a more aggressive grit ruining the result of a finer polish

MendhamCarSpa
07-22-2013, 02:44 PM
When finishing your compounding cycle, slow down to speed 5 or 4 and lighten up the pressure. This will mitigate SOME of the micro-marring you are experiencing. Then step down to a finishing polish and you should be golden.

Thanks I'll try that!
I'll also purchase a finishing Polish or the Meguiar's finishing polish from Walmart.. it seems like this "pro" detailer scrwed me over with bad products. (the Malco products)

Pads: I didn't post the pad manufacturer because it got worn off the velcro and i could not read it. They're waffle pads though.

MendhamCarSpa
07-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Oh and Setec thank you for the "nice website" comment.. i personally think my website is way too confusing tho : / lol!

everyone else ..check it out tho, it's almost complete..

mendhamcarspa.com

I was using the products on Mercedes paint and as well a new Hyundai paint

Setec Astronomy
07-22-2013, 03:09 PM
I'll also purchase a finishing Polish or the Meguiar's finishing polish from Walmart.. it seems like this "pro" detailer scrwed me over with bad products. (the Malco products)

Well, most "pro" detailers don't know what they are doing, compared to the work that's done by people here. Do yourself a favor and get both the UC and the UP, they are cheap. Some of the auto stores also have M105 and 205, but IIRC the pricing isn't so good.

Oh and Setec thank you for the "nice website" comment.. i personally think my website is way too confusing tho : / lol!

I looked you up since you're not far from me. How's business?

MendhamCarSpa
07-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Business really didn't start yet, because I was very fearful that I would mess up with the "junky" products I'm using because they never seemed to work for me! I've been testing on my car and my families and my Uncle in law got his car detailed by me as well as my Mother's friend. They both were amazed at how well I cleaned their cars and got them to look "like-new" however... I didn't use the D/A much on either of their cars because of the bad results I got on mine. I'm not even 18, but will be soon.. (maybe I'm the youngest detailer on this site?) but my business is totally registered and ready to go... besides the junky products.. which I'm going to switch out ASAP! THANKS TO YOU Setec and everyone else here! -

One last question: So I used Turtle wax heavy duty compound (which is gritty) as a test today (and it's not all that bad at flattening the paint like microscopically..leaving a light haze, yet unless i scrub hard with my hands using the stuff, it STILL doesn't get "deeper" scratches out... like i will use all of my junky products, and they do make the paint look amazingly like glass from afar in the shade (but when the sun hits you can see the small swirls) yet when you get close you can see the deep scratches are still there yet they have just been worn down a bit and glossed up.. SO>>> how in the world do I get "deep" scratches out totally with the D/A ??
Which pads? wool?
Which products? Just Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish?

Thanks all! Thanks Setec!

Setec Astronomy
07-24-2013, 12:44 PM
I think I mentioned in an earlier post, we are trying to get a local meet together, sounds like a good opportunity to trade some tips, etc. We are looking for a good location which has room, electricity, water, bathroom, etc. If you know of somewhere, I'm sure it will be worth your while to be able to shoot the breeze with some members who have more machine polishing experience.

stemyx
07-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Business really didn't start yet, because I was very fearful that I would mess up with the "junky" products I'm using because they never seemed to work for me! I've been testing on my car and my families and my Uncle in law got his car detailed by me as well as my Mother's friend. They both were amazed at how well I cleaned their cars and got them to look "like-new" however... I didn't use the D/A much on either of their cars because of the bad results I got on mine. I'm not even 18, but will be soon.. (maybe I'm the youngest detailer on this site?) but my business is totally registered and ready to go... besides the junky products.. which I'm going to switch out ASAP! THANKS TO YOU Setec and everyone else here! -

One last question: So I used Turtle wax heavy duty compound (which is gritty) as a test today (and it's not all that bad at flattening the paint like microscopically..leaving a light haze, yet unless i scrub hard with my hands using the stuff, it STILL doesn't get "deeper" scratches out... like i will use all of my junky products, and they do make the paint look amazingly like glass from afar in the shade (but when the sun hits you can see the small swirls) yet when you get close you can see the deep scratches are still there yet they have just been worn down a bit and glossed up.. SO>>> how in the world do I get "deep" scratches out totally with the D/A ??
Which pads? wool?
Which products? Just Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish?

Thanks all! Thanks Setec!

You can try the meguiars 105/205 combo! They're a really good combination and probably with some hex logic or meguiars microfiber cutting pads! The microfiber pads are beast!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AG Online

Mike Phillips
07-24-2013, 02:15 PM
You've received a lot of great help thus far but to also chime in...

I have a DA polisher (PC7424xp)

In context of the time period of "Automotive Paint Compounds & Polishes", the dual action polisher could still be considered fairly new. Note it offers TWO actions,

Oscillation
Rotation

Not all compounds and polishes on the market are designed for this "relatively" new type of tool.

Most compounds and polishes that have been around a long time were originally formulated to be used with a tool with ONE action, that is the rotary buffer. It only rotates.

Here's the point, if you take abrasive technology, that is compounds and polishes, that were originally formulated to be used with a rotary buffer and try to use them with a dual action polisher, more times than not you get what we call, DA Haze or Micro-marring.

3M has been around as long as most and even longer than most but if you read the instructions on the labels for their Professional Line, they state they are ALL for use with a Rotary Buffer, not a dual action polisher. Such is the case for a of established products in the refinishing and reconditioning industries. I don't know what the directions say for your Malco products, perhaps read them and post back here if they actually state they can be used with a dual action polisher or if they state for use with a rotary buffer.

Bigger point being, abrasive technology is different from company to company.

I was using the products on Mercedes paint and as well a new Hyundai paint

Be careful when working on new Mercedes-Benz cars, some have Ceramiclear paint systems.

The LAST thing you want to do with a Ceramiclear paint system is use aggressive and especially gritty aggressive compounds on them. Take a moment to read through this article. Don't scan but read at least the first post.

Ceramiclear Paints - Be Careful (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/47152-ceramiclear-paints-careful.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/D8182.jpg

:)