PDA

View Full Version : Extension-Handle Wash Tools FRUSTTRATION

Ohio Detailing
07-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Short and Sweet: ARE THERE ANY extension handles manufactured out there that are DEPENDABLE, rugged, long-lasting, and able to stand up to actually being used more than four times before busting into several useless pieces?

I have, literally, been through FIVE of these since just last summer - AND this detail season is really not over for another couple months for our small business. Sure, they are from Target and Wal-Mart etc... I didn't expect them to be hand-crafted by professional welders from Unobtanium discovered by an Avatar in the jungle of Pandora... BUT COME ON!

I'll pay for it, believe me, I've already done several wholesale orders this year in the quadruple digits for our detail business, and I just can't stand risking both wasted time and broken equipment which may very well scratch an $80,000 Cayenne or Land Rover etc we detail at the clients' homes.

Sooooo... please detail-brothers, suggest something to me that is:

Solid & Rugged
Swappable (microfiber heads and boars hair and the many others)
Telescopic if possible
Rubber coated around the end, so no inadvertent scratches occur to the roofs/hood I'm trying to reach

Universal Brush: This is the only site I have found after Googling like a maniac that has decent products, and of course after years and years of patronage to Auto Geek I'd love to buy from them, but I don't see anything like this there (but, I don't see any microfiber replacement heads - just broom-type bristles): Universal Brush (http://www.universalbrush.com/shop02/)

THANKS SO MUCH fellas! I have seriously been meaning to make this post since earlier this year... but things have been so busy (which is awesome) I haven't had time to do anything but set an alarm, wake up, eat, detail, and repeat! This has been our best year yet - and to think we have never advertised!

hernandez.art13
07-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Subscribed

swanicyouth
07-20-2013, 04:36 PM
I have one that is very good. I bought is at a local retailer. Unfortunately, I don't think you can buy the pole by itself. Its part of the Hopkins Snow Brush, which they sell at Pep Boys, etc...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/21/eme5ejaj.jpg

You can see it in the picture above. Its telescoping. I bought 2 from AG that broke. You know you can use any threaded broom handle, the threads are the same. Also, you can by a telescoping paint brush pole, they work as well. Some of them are quite sturdy and are available in the paint section of a hardware store.

poweraid
07-20-2013, 04:42 PM
I use a telescopic paint pole . it surely not fully rubberized or nothing , it's plastic and aluminum with foam around the handle . maybe what U choose for replacement, maybe try to plastidip it , spray on as heavy as u want . won't be able to retract and extend it though .
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/21/y8a9a7u2.jpg

I broke 2 of the poles that come with the board hair brush . no more .

Ohio Detailing
07-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Subscribed

Cool, I can't be the only one with these issues, haha! Let's get to the bottom of this...

I have one that is very good. I bought is at a local retailer. Unfortunately, I don't think you can buy the pole by itself. Its part of the Hopkins Snow Brush, which they sell at Pep Boys, etc...

You can see it in the picture above. Its telescoping. I bought 2 from AG that broke. You know you can use any threaded broom handle, the threads are the same. Also, you can by a telescoping paint brush pole, they work as well. Some of them are quite sturdy and are available in the paint section of a hardware store.

I'd really like to be able to buy the pole and the heads all independently from each other. Swapping for various applications, and cleanliness etc, thanks!

I use a telescopic paint pole . it surely not fully rubberized or nothing , it's plastic and aluminum with foam around the handle . maybe what U choose for replacement, maybe try to plastidip it , spray on as heavy as u want . won't be able to retract and extend it though .

I broke 2 of the poles that come with the board hair brush . no more .

That's a BEASTLY pole, right up my ally! What I'm thinking is find something that just has a basic STANDARD broom insert/input, and as long as the brushes have the same size input, we should be good to go.

Really, I'm just amazed that something this fundamental to every single detail would be so hard to find...

oldmodman
07-20-2013, 09:37 PM
I just went to a local paint store and bought four different lengths of wooden roller handles. They all thread into the brush heads I have.

I prefer the unpainted wood since I have never had a scratching problem with them. And I am referring to if they are accidentally allowed to contact the paint.

BillE
07-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Another vote for 'paint handles'.

Light weight, expandable, all that 'weird' universal thread, can take beating.

Also, push broom handles work...any janitorial shop will have them. Being wood, you can cut them to whatever length you want/need.

Bill

Ohio Detailing
07-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks for your help guys

Now that it seems obvious to get a regular painters pole that has standard threads... where do I get the brushes and what material(s) should I look for aside from boar's hair? Thanks

Ohio Detailing
08-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Now that it seems obvious to get a regular painters pole that has standard threads... where do I get the brushes and what material(s) should I look for aside from boar's hair? Thanks

Now that it seems obvious to get a regular painters pole that has standard threads... [[Where do I get the BRUSHES and what material(s)]] and should I look for aside from boar's hair? Thanks a lot - happy detailing!

PS: Is the first website I linked to good to go, or are they over-priced and I could get more for my money elsewhere? Universal Brush (http://www.universalbrush.com/shop01/)

Ohio Detailing
08-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Now that it seems obvious to get a regular painters pole that has standard threads... [[Where do I get the BRUSHES and what material(s)]] and, should I look for aside from boar's hair? Thanks a lot - happy detailing!

PS: Is the first website I linked to good to go, or are they over-priced and I could get more for my money elsewhere? Universal Brush (http://www.universalbrush.com/shop01/)

BUMP on the above

BillE
08-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Gonna send ya back to the janitorial supply store.

See what they have. They will (should) everything from a super course deck brush to a super soft window washing brush. You'll have to go 'by feel' to see if anything will fill your needs.

Good luck...

Bill

Ohio Detailing
08-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Gonna send ya back to the janitorial supply store.

See what they have. They will (should) everything from a super course deck brush to a super soft window washing brush. You'll have to go 'by feel' to see if anything will fill your needs.

Good luck...

Bill

Sounds good to me - as long as the bristles are feathered and forgiving, that should do the trick... unless Boar's Hair has something "special" about it where it softens (like bug sponges) as it sits in the water? Don't want to risk marring a $60,000 car anytime soon! :)