PDA

View Full Version : First time using Micro Fabric pads

queens guy
07-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Well After I washed my car I started to compound a panel and I was excited to try my new MF Pad and OHHH boy I don't know if i will ever get other pads again. I used the hex orange pad and the MF pad and I have to say that the cut i got with the MF pad was so much better.

I had a dull spot from last time I was working on a wet paper scratch and it is not gone with just one pass with the mf pad.

How do you guys clean the MF pads? I see that they are a little delicate and don't wanna mess with them too much. How much use do you guys get from 1 MF cutting or polishing pad?

Pureshine
07-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Will polishing I use compressed air.When I wash then I use woolite and let them air dry. I've had some pads for over 6 months and the key to MF pads is heat from polishing.

hernandez.art13
07-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Will polishing I use compressed air.When I wash then I use woolite and let them air dry. I've had some pads for over 6 months and the key to MF pads is heat from polishing.

More or less heat?
(Just an innocent question)

I used them once and they did work miracles in my short term use. (A new machine first though) :D

Divine Details
07-20-2013, 04:02 PM
The less heat the better.
The heat will cause the backing to start to peel.

Chad @ divine details

queens guy
07-20-2013, 04:08 PM
i did notice that once i lift my polisher the edge of the Mf started to fly lol not sure if it was just some loose fibers or what. I did prep the pads with pad conditioner before i used them.

hernandez.art13
07-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Makes sense Divine Details just didn't want to speak without being 100% sure

Thank You

Pureshine
07-20-2013, 04:25 PM
I use the uber backing plate with holes in it to reduce the heat when using MF pads helps a lot. Keeping the pad cleaning while polishing is key to proper cutting. If to much compound builds up the pad will over heat and the pad will not cut properly. I clean the MF pad after every panel or even more often.

swanicyouth
07-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Are you guys using MF pads in you finishing step as well, just to compound, or as a 1 step only?

queens guy
07-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Are you guys using MF pads in you finishing step as well, just to compound, or as a 1 step only? i got pads for both compound and polish.

JHL88
07-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Are you guys using MF pads in you finishing step as well, just to compound, or as a 1 step only?

It depends on what kind of clear you're working with. The harder clears will finish well with a finishing MF pad. softer ones will finish with a finishing/waxing foam pad

Pureshine
07-20-2013, 09:41 PM
I always use a foam pad to finish with.

queens guy
07-21-2013, 06:41 AM
I always use a foam pad to finish with. Yea me too but when it comes to correcting the paint with combo compound/Polishing I find the mf pads cut faster and leave a better finish. I finish the sealant and wax with foam pads as well.

Pureshine
07-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Yea me too but when it comes to correcting the paint with combo compound/Polishing I find the mf pads cut faster and leave a better finish. I finish the sealant and wax with foam pads as well.

Ya MF pads do cut faster and for 1 steps I mostly use MF pads. For wax/sealants I do everything by hand I'm old school.

Christopher.Brown
07-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Ya MF pads do cut faster and for 1 steps I mostly use MF pads. For wax/sealants I do everything by hand I'm old school.

+1

Agreed... back and forth air flow style strokes only for me. This way you can prevent pigtails from popping up in the LSP stage, nullifying all of the hard work you put into paint correction. God that can be a nightmare after spending HOURS fixing a whole car. THen you do through the stages of denial. :surrender: :cry: :mad: and finally :buffing: [again] ROFL

Plus doing the LSP by hand you can feel the surface of the paint better for a sort of last look at all of the panels.