PDA

View Full Version : New Car! Can you guys sign off on my order?

Pages : [1] 2

investinwaffles
06-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Yea, so today is my 18th birthday and my parents got me a car. :awesome:
Its a 2001 black Mustang, with a Roush Stage 1 package on it. Unfortunately, being black and living in florida all its life, the paint has a lot of swirl marks visible in the sunlight. They arent too deep, but there is a lot of them and they look like "spider webs". I cant get a picture because my sister has my camera :rolleyes:.

Anyway, i basically want to get a PC kit, that has pretty much everything i need to get started. Im not really going to be starting a buisness, but i will do the other cars we have at home (2004 E class, 2001 Chrylser van). Now, what do you guys think of this order?

Click for picture:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1407&stc=1&d=1181150519

And i really see myself using a lot of QD in the future. I have already used some Poorboys products (namely the natural look dressing), and i have to say that i love them. The natural look dressing is PERFECT for interiors because i dont like the super greasy look that other dressings give. I already have the basics (car wash, wheel dressing, wheel brushes, etc).

Anyway, your feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

wytstang
06-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Personally I would choose this PC kit
Optimum Porter Cable 7424 Kit Remove swirl marks and paint flaws (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-porter-cable-kit.html)
Poorboys SSRs dusted up way to much no matter how much I use or didn't use. The Optimum barely dust and has more oils so you can work it in longer. If you don't have much shade to work in this will help out and not let it dry up so fast. The bonnets well I'd rather remove products by hand but thats just personal prefernece. Everything else looks good.

Jimmie
06-06-2007, 12:55 PM
One change that I would make is to remove the bonnet kit for $34.99 and add microfiber towels. Most on here remove waxes and sealants by hand wiping-off.
Congrats on your new car.

gandblah
06-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Washing
Claying
Polishing
Protecting
Upkeep

at a high level.

You need to make sure you have the right tools for all steps laid out. What all you go for is based on your budget/inclination.

For example:

Washing
- Shampoo
- Washing Instrument (Sheepskin Mitt, Schmitt etc etc..)
- Drying instrument (MF Towels or the Guzzler etc..)

Claying
- Clay
- Clay Lube

Polishing
- Polish
- PC
- Pads
- MF towels

Protection
- Wax and/or sealant

Upkeep
- QD or Waterless Wash

Based on your order:
The Poorboys kit will take care of steps Polishing (SSR's) and Protecting (Nattys) and Upkeep (S*G / S&W). That leaves Washing and Claying so the questions are:

- Do you need/have a good quality wash instrument (schmitt, sheepskin, sea sponge, LC mitt etc.)
- Do you need/have Clay? (Clay lube can also be home made with car wash soap)?
- Do you need/have enough good quality MF towels?
- Do you need the Guzzler to dry the car post the wash (highly recommended from my side)

IMO those are the only things you need to think about - you seem to have the rest covered.

Hope this helps.

orngez
06-06-2007, 12:57 PM
i agree with the optimum line...pb line is good as well...the trade off is optimum takes just a little bit longer to fully break down...if you work in the shade or in a garage it makes no real difference...also instead of 35 bucks for bonnets i think the money would be better invested in a couple cobra mf towel packs....the one where you get 4 towels for 20 bucks...2 jrs and two deluxes...and if you like the pb line their spray and rinse wheel cleaner imo is far superior to the dp gel wheel cleaner....it really is a true spray and rinse...and if you dont already have one the white/yellow shmitt is like having a bug sponge built into the wash mitt....its nice not having to switch between a scrub pad and your wash mitt using the shmitt...overall nice order...just thought i would give you my thoughts on what i have had success with

AL417
06-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Welcome, Happy Birthday and nice car.
Good choice on the kit especially since you like PB as much as you do. Your list looks good but you might want to scratch the bonnets and get a few more MFs. The Cobra Deluxe Jr's are my favorite but there are a lot of options for you there. While you're at it think about adding an Ultimate Guzzler for drying, this thing rocks.

FloridaNative
06-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Welcome, Happy Birthday and nice car.
Good choice on the kit especially since you like PB as much as you do. Your list looks good but you might want to scratch the bonnets and get a few more MFs. The Cobra Deluxe Jr's are my favorite but there are a lot of options for you there. While you're at it think about adding an Ultimate Guzzler for drying, this thing rocks.

:iagree: :iagree: Happy Birthday and if your parents want to adopt any more kids and buy them mustangs just let me know. I'm available! ;) I won't repeat what AL417 said since but I'll just add to make sure you have clay and glass cleaner as well. :) Happy Detailing. The addiction is just beginning. :)

investinwaffles
06-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Firstly, thanks for all the birthday wishes. :cheers:

Now, i have pretty much everything i need to wash the car (Meguires gold class, Meguires microfiber wash mitt), And i have a claybar (Blackfire clay kit i picked up locally).

What im adding/switching:

Adding:
The Guzzler Combo kit (regular and supreme)
Cobra Microfiber Combo Kit (Super plush blue and a JR)
6 Cobra Blue All Purpose MF Towels (for future use)

Switching:
Poorboys for Optimum

NOW, what i need is a wax. Should i stick with natty's blue for a black car?

ScottB
06-06-2007, 07:25 PM
dont remove the Poorboys kit , very easy for novice and professional alike. I sell dozens of these on corvetteforum as contain everything needed but car soap for a year or mores worth of detailing. Great kit !!

As for Nattys, its ok, not bad ... no really, but the Pinnacle offerings put it to shame on black. Consider Liquid Souveran or Souveran Paste based upon cost.

investinwaffles
06-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Ok, so you dont think i should switch to the optimum?

I'll be inside the garage for most of my polishing. Will the PB's stuff be too powdery?

investinwaffles
06-06-2007, 11:23 PM
What about the Menzerna Max Shine kit?

And how would i make a clay lube with carwash?
I assume it is just water and soap mixed together, but how much soap to water should i be using?

FMINUS
06-06-2007, 11:24 PM
get rid of the bonnet kit, get MF towels

wytstang
06-06-2007, 11:29 PM
The SSR from PB dust a lot thats why I don't like that kit, the removes swirls no problem they will yes leave the section your working on covered in dust. I've worked Optimum on my car in the sun with no ill affects. SC is hotter then FL and it worked fine for me. For a wax man you missed a great deal on Pinnicals Signature series II wax. Here's my thread I started (using Optimum and Sig II)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/6545-detailed-front-clip-f150.html
I think the OP and Sig II did great

Gnarboots11
06-06-2007, 11:32 PM
get some pinnacle souveran carnauba wax! It's mega sweet on my dark grey, invest the $80, go for it!!

investinwaffles
06-06-2007, 11:44 PM
The souvern paste wax is a little too rich for my blood! Im going with the Souvern series II though.

Holy crap, there are so many choices when it comes to polishes, compounds, and waxes. Its making my head spin! :(

I think im going to go with the Poorboys kit. All in all, it seems like a good "entry level" kit. Who knows, i may start detailing more cars (friends, family, etc). If i dont like the poorboys stuff, i can always wait till it is used up and switch to another product).