PDA

View Full Version : APC staining plastic

KillaCam
07-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Has anyone had experience with any APC's staining plastic? Yesterday I did a quick wipe down with duragloss ultimate orange diluted 10:1 on my interior. Mistakenly I must've sprayed too much and didn't wipe it off soon enough and I was working in direct sunlight. This is the result

I've tried cleaning it with Meg's APC+ which is what I usually use but the stain remains. I'm thinking there is no way to remove it and I'm going to have to purchase another one.
I've put dressing on it and it hides it a little but it's not up to my standards.

swanicyouth
07-19-2013, 05:20 PM
This doesn't help now, but this is the reason I never use APC as an interior cleaner. I always use something made specifically for interiors: DP Interior Cleaner or BMW Interior Cleaner.

inDetail
07-19-2013, 08:26 PM
It might be your mix was too strong. I use Optimum power clean 3:1 (Filthy Car) or Garry Deans Detail Juice diluted 2.5 ounces to 1 gallon of distilled water.(Cleaner cars.) Never had an issue. Optimum PC usually never gives me any problems and just about get any plastic issue cleaned up. Are you certain it's from the APC? Did it happen to any other of the same plastics in the car?

KillaCam
07-19-2013, 08:36 PM
It might be your mix was too strong. I use Optimum power clean 3:1 (Filthy Car) or Garry Deans Detail Juice diluted 2.5 ounces to 1 gallon of distilled water.(Cleaner cars.) Never had an issue. Optimum PC usually never gives me any problems and just about get any plastic issue cleaned up. Are you certain it's from the APC? Did it happen to any other of the same plastics in the car?

I usually use Meg's apc+ on interiors but wanted to try out the DG this time. I've never had any problems with Meg's so I'm guessing the DG is stronger. It was in direct sunlight and I'm assuming it baked the cleaner into the plastic.
Didn't harm any other parts on the door that I used it on including vinyl and rubber.

Allmtrh22
07-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Next time don't spray directly onto the surface. It can cause spot cleaning where some parts look cleaner than others.
Spray it on the microfiber towel and wipe everything down.

KillaCam
07-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Next time don't spray directly onto the surface. It can cause spot cleaning where some parts look cleaner than others.
Spray it on the microfiber towel and wipe everything down.

I feel like that method doesn't clean as effectively as spraying the surface. I think it is safe to spray the surface as long as you don't let it dwell long.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed or am I going to have to find a replacement part?

Pureshine
07-20-2013, 01:36 AM
The only product that might help is 1z deep plastic cleaner.

KillaCam
07-20-2013, 08:51 AM
The only product that might help is 1z deep plastic cleaner.

Any reason why that might work? I would rather not buy a $10 bottle of that only to not do a thing.

c8n
07-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Is it a textured surface? If so, the product could be dried up and the applicator you are using does not have long enough fibers to reach it. I would try to agitate it with a detail brush.

jjj
07-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Is it a textured surface? If so, the product could be dried up and the applicator you are using does not have long enough fibers to reach it. I would try to agitate it with a detail brush.

This has worked for me before in the past. A lot of time the stain is baked in film. Jmo.

KillaCam
07-20-2013, 01:03 PM

Yes it is textured. I used a mothers brush after it stained to try to remove it and it didn't help.

Pureshine
07-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Any reason why that might work? I would rather not buy a $10 bottle of that only to not do a thing.

Its made to cleaner plastic I've been using for a very longtime its the only product I use to clean plastic and treated leather. I have found nothing better. Its up to you but If its a permanent stain nothing will get it out. Looks like you might of taken some of the color out of the plastic.

jjj
07-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Have you put trim dressing on it?

KillaCam
07-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Have you put trim dressing on it?

Yes and it darkened it a little but it's still there.