PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Tips For Repeat Offenders

DogRescuer
07-19-2013, 07:31 AM
I Had a good week this week as far as business goes.

My question for everyone is:

How do I get customers who Cars Ive detailed once and are pleased with my work to accept a detail at least once a month, (i mean here a simple wash, no corrections)?
Yes I have to work on my "upselling"
Any tips will be appreciated.

Steve

c8n
07-19-2013, 07:43 AM
I am not a business owner but I would imagine if you educate your customers as to why cars will lose their shine and the consequences of improper wash/dry methods, it may work to your favor.

Setec Astronomy
07-19-2013, 08:11 AM
I think the way most people approach that (as C8n alluded to) is to remind them of the time/money spent on the correction detail, how that can all be lost with one improper wash, and how having you clean the car on a regular basis will protect their investment (in the correction detail).

Father87
07-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Yea, tell them to avoid the AutoSwirl and the rag wiping local guys. Educate them on how to wash it themselves, that leaves them doing it or you, and we already know they rather pay for the convenience ;)

Dr_Pain
07-19-2013, 08:38 AM
I am not a business owner but I would imagine if you educate your customers as to why cars will lose their shine and the consequences of improper wash/dry methods, it may work to your favor.

:whs:

Educate, educate, educate, educate!!!!!

I spend a solid hour (literally) in the pre-correction interview discussing why they ended up the way they did, describing how oxidation occurs, imbeeded dirt and stains, etching from hard water, bug guts, bird bombs etc.. I also talk to them extensively after the correction as to the proper maintenance. I go out of my way offering to be the "buying agent" for all their maintenance "stuff". Most are very excited and jump on the opportunity to capitalize on my knowledge....... until they see the P.O. . They then ask about my maintenance wash program.

People will see, and justify, the investment after they consider that a proper maintenance wash is 1-2hrs of their time, EVERY TIME, and an initial $150+ investment for basic products they may never completely use. People understand that time is money! It is a lot easier to text me and say "my car is dirty" and within 48hrs they have a clean car without having to lift a finger, and without the hassle of doing it themselves, and without the potential of ruining the "investment" through improper washing (personal or car wash).... or cut corner cheap hacks.

You don't need to upsell (like a use car salesman), but you need to educate them so they can make the best informed decision. Let them upsell themselves (and offer them incentives like combo packages, so they have an incentive to do so). They will be much happier in the end! Worst thing for you is to ram down their throat a service you know they need and end up with a confused and disgruntled (albeit happy to have a clean car) customer. Nobody likes to be upsold (think about the annoyance of the server coming to your table giving you a list of beer of the month, if you don't drink), but EVERYBODY loves a bargain!!!!

Flash Gordon
07-19-2013, 08:55 AM
After you've completed the detail (and you realize the customer is happy), ask them how often would they like to have this service performed

DogRescuer
07-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Thank you to ALL! I need to talk more.

Evan.J
07-19-2013, 03:25 PM
I educate my customers but keep it to a level they understand.

I also ask them if they are interested in letting me do all the up keep on the work I have just completed via maintenance washes. I always say I will be taking care of my work and ensuring your vehicle looks its best.

Its all about Paint preservation and especially when you have done a paint correction.

FUNX650
07-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Thank you to ALL! I need to talk more.
^^^:iagree:^^^

And somehow, or the other...
Never let them find out you once referred to them as: "Repeat Offenders".

:)

Bob

VP Mark
07-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Another side of this is understanding that a lot of people just do not want their cars regularly taken care of, at least not for the costs associated with it. I have LOTS of every 2-3-4 months clients that get a basic detail, but very few actual "maintenance" clients.

Let them know you offer it, follow up regularly and stay in contact with your clients, keep their information in your phone so that when you see them calling back you can know more about them, but don't force the sale.

I would say about 70% of my clients return at a later date(even if a year or more later) for follow up work, but a lot of people simply want a one time job. Know when to sell what, to who. The one timers may not want regular service but often times you can upsell them a bigger package or addons since they do not have it regularly done. This is where an upgraded sealant, antibacterial treatment, odor removal treatment, fabric protection, etc. comes in, because they might not see it as such large of expense.

Your regular customers, treat them like gold. Never try and sell them something they don't want, reward their loyalty with occasional bonus services (within reason, I'm talking a free car wash or something, and let them KNOW its because you appreciate them) and they will be a continual source of revenue AND a free, motivated sales force for you.

"Regular" clients are hard to come buy, but if you can manage to take care of a good number of them, and continue to build that number, you will truly take your business to the next level.