PDA

View Full Version : Washing Cars on Grass

Pages : [1] 2

stemyx
07-19-2013, 05:15 AM
Hello fellow Auto Geeks! I had a question about washing cars on grass because the only shade available at my house is the lawn where there is a tree that provides shade. Some people say that parking a car there and washing it harms the grass and some people say it doesn't. I use safe biodegradable soap but I still wonder if it will prevent the grass from growing. Any feedback or help is appreciated thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AG Online

Mike Phillips
07-19-2013, 06:44 AM
I've washed a lot of cars on the grass and can't say I've ever seen any harm to the lawn at all just another way of watering the lawn.

Most cars are not contaminated enough to really cause any damage as most lawn grass is pretty stout, just try to kill it off sometime with grass or weed killer, you'll see it's pretty much impossible.

Now detailing a really greasy, grimy engine compartment on the lawn will leave a mess but the lawn will still recover. (Don't ask me how I know)

I wouldn't worry about it...

:D

CrayBrown
07-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Soapy water isnt bad for plants at all. It really only will effect aphids and insects. So I kinda see it being beneficial. But yeah keep in mind if you use some acidic cleaners or a strong APC I imagine that may have some negative effects.

MPBGT
07-19-2013, 06:58 AM
I used to wash on the grass all the time for the same reason you have. Just use any harsh cleaners or Protestants off the grass.

Father87
07-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Yea I probably wouldn't do an engine detail because even drops of motor oil cause terrible ground water pollution. Also, unless you know you're using harsh chemicals it probably does nothing, most are even biodegradable.

DogRescuer
07-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Mike said it all, you worry about getting in shade and keeping that medal somewhat cool, and the grass will take care of itself.

It is nice to see others concerned with the enviroment though.:xyxthumbs:

vet
07-19-2013, 08:45 AM
I haven't seen damage to the grass from washing cars on it. Of course, if you do several cars every day for an extended period of time in the same spot, it might.

hellfst
07-19-2013, 09:06 AM
To be honest I rather wash my car on the grass then on the concrete. If the items you use are biodegradable then you should have no problem. Its better to let it get absorbed by the grass then my the ocean.

If you are doing engine detailing, get a big tarp or some old shirts to place under the engine. That way you don't get nasty stuff on the grass.

The grass is pretty strong itself. I know In my back yard it has no shade and I dump my mop water with bleach on the grass all the time (here comes the flames!) and the grass always looks the same...

stemyx
07-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone!! Its nice to know there are other eco-friendly people here that want to benefit in two ways :)

HateSwirls
07-19-2013, 09:41 AM
I've washed many cars on my lawn without problems, when it's really hot I'll wash my cars in my backyard in open space in the shade.
You can tell where I washed my car at, grass is so green from the water:)

yakky
07-19-2013, 11:08 AM
My old neighbor used to do it all the time in the summer, no ill effects.

Hazcat
07-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Even the stronger soaps will wash through the grass without causing damage. Water the grass and trees not the concrete.

TheDetailGeeks
07-20-2013, 08:32 AM
Used to do it all the time without anything bad happening. Wash away!

david79z28
07-20-2013, 09:54 AM
I wash on the grass as its the only place I get any decent shade.

The rest of my yard looks like crap with the heat we have but around my shop, it looks great!!!

stemyx
07-20-2013, 12:58 PM
What about the pieces of grass where the tires were sitting? Because I wash often every once a week and I was wondering if that would affect the growth of grass. Should I park the car somewhere else in the lawn where I haven't washed?