PDA

View Full Version : Are my side view mirrors single stage paint?

StuDLei
07-19-2013, 01:44 AM
I just noticed that my side few mirror had some water spot etchings in it about an hour ago. I said hey, I wonder if I can clear this thing out with 105 by hand. Went at it and my towel turned black. Hit it with menz 4500 by hand after words and no such blackness. (My car is black). My side mirror now looks awesome (couldn't believe how easy it was by hand), but I'm puzzled why it would turn black. I have a black 350z that I've hit with the 105/205 combo a couple times with my flex and my pads never turned black as the car obviously has a clear coat.

So, are my side view mirrors really single stage paint? Is there any other way to tell??

Feed back please

StuDLei
07-19-2013, 01:50 AM
Oh, I just thought of this. The mirrors are some sort of plastic if that makes a difference. Someone sprayed something on my car a couple years ago that wreaked havoc on some areas on my car.. only the plastic stuff though. One of my mirrors has bubbly white spots on it and one of my taillights is similar. Everywhere else, whatever was sprayed on, came off with a wash with no permanent effects. BTW, the mirror I polished was not the one with these spots. The one I polished looks really good.. took the swirls and water spots out no problem.

StuDLei
07-19-2013, 01:53 AM
My bumpers are plastic too I think, but no such blackening of pads ever took place on them. Just more fyi. :)

hernandez.art13
07-19-2013, 03:22 AM
Subscribed

mwoolfso
07-19-2013, 05:37 AM
Just because it is plastic doesn't necessarily mean there is no clearcoat. Clearcoat is paint.

StuDLei
07-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Just because it is plastic doesn't necessarily mean there is no clearcoat. Clearcoat is paint.

Right, didn't think so, but just adding as much info as possible. Anyone else want to chime in here? Surely people have polished Z's.

StuDLei
07-21-2013, 06:15 PM
One last hopeful bump.

hernandez.art13
07-21-2013, 06:25 PM
One last hopeful bump.

Post pictures maybe other members could help with that